Bonsai

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by dreadlockswampy, May 11, 2006.

1. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

hey folkes i have a bonsai that is dying (i think) 1/2 the leaves are brown & the rest are green going brown, any ideas??? [​IMG]

2. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Have you repotted it recently? If not, it may be rootbound. Did you make this bonsai or buy it? Could be something else, hard to tell, I not a bonsai expert.

3. dreadlockswampy

It's one that was bought for me it doesn't look pot bound
    I just bought some Bonsai tree food & some pruning sheers
    mabe it just needs some food & a trim ???

4. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Dont fetalize sick trees,its too much for them wait tell they are healthy.
    much more info is needed here.
    what kind of tree is it
    ware is it located
    did you lift it to check for pot bound roots
    give us more info,if you got dead branches or leaves go ahead and trim those off so the tree doesnt have to worry about feeding those dead ones(they wont come back)
    frog

5. dreadlockswampy

It's a serissa, It's inside next to the window (just recently put it there) it's got plenty of room for root growth & I've trimmed most of the dead branches & dead leaves & I water it every other day & give it a misting (spray of water on the leaves) every day I also keep the tray topped up with water
    but the roots don't touch that, more for humidification purposes, I'm kinda new to this so I realy don't know whats going on ????

There is a piccy in my gallery if ya wanna look!

6. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Hay dude,,thats a ficuss serrissa,,Ficus is all we need to know.ya he dosent look to happy.you may be wattering it too much.important thing with bonsai watter when needed not on a schedule.put a chopstick in the dirt about 2 inches in ,if it comes out wet ,its got toio much watter.if its dry it needs watter.it should be in partial sun tell its better.just babby it for awile and let up on the watter and it should recover.ficus are strong growers and easaly bonsai d .ficus are tropical so keep him in when its cold out.they are servivers so just moniter him and he will take care of himself.Ficus are the ones we see in the jungles and rain forrest with their roots covering aztec ruens and even other trees.like i said they are verry figerous growers,easy on the watter and sun,let him do his thing.
    sunshine all arround us
    woodenfrog

7. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

one more thing,with those branches your cutting off,if there still alittle green....make i diagonal cutt,put them in a jar of watter in the window.in a month or so there will be roots.let the roots get strong and plant it.Whammmoo you got another tree.
    woodenfrog

8. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

Im not a bonsia expert or nothin but I know a lot of plants that if you suddenly change them from one lighting to the next and u said u just put in recently in the window. Maybe it had a reaction to that. Just a thought. If you went from having it in no lighting to having it in direct sun maybe its havin adverse side effects. U should look it up on the net I bet u can find more info there......Good luck Peace

www.dawnson64.piczo.com

9. dreadlockswampy

Cool, cheers folkes, much appreciated. I'll keep ya's posted
    on how it's doing !!! hopefully I've not killed it !!! :)

I have been on a few bonsai forums, but I've had no comeback off them I'll have to search harder :p