How would you describe the present world situation?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by skip, May 8, 2006.

1. zodiacflower

zodiacflower Member

we're killing ourselves quite quickly...does that sound like progress to anyone?

2. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Second Timothy chapter 3 verse 1
    This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. According to the Bible in Ezekiel chapter 37 in the latter years we would see the Jews returning to Israel. The Bible also tells us, that the last war on earth will be over the control of Jerusalem. Soon, many of the Islamic nations will be getting nukes. Yes, It's going to get really scarey now.

3. HippieChild

HippieChild Member

4. sentient

sentient Senior Member

The present world situation is like having your teeth pulled out by having a pair of rusty pliers inserted into the rectum and then being forced all the way up to your mouth

http://www.no2id.net

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

to succinctly sum up the world situation for the past six years or so, i would have to say gratuitously brutalized by and for the political expediency of pseudo-conservatism.

thanks to the last six months, there seems to be once again some level of hope, but certainly by no means assurances.

also going for the hope is that even the nonrocketscientests among humanity get tired of the same old same old, so add that to what those who'se eyes are open can see, and yes, i think there's real hope.

hope for perminent chainges in the core values that alowed us to get into this mess in the first place is a somewhat longer shot, but i feel there is at least some real hope of that too.

=^^=
    .../\...

6. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

I'm not gonna even make a real post because there is too much to say and posting about it makes no difference.
    Lets just say people have some fucked up values in our society and are too concentrated on greed and looks, that they cant take the time to realize the shit thats going on around them.

7. shine_crazydiamond

shine_crazydiamond Member

It's kind of a combination of all of the options.
    Same old shit- well yeah, it always wills be
    Business as usual- the world is full of it
    Approaching a "tipping" point- well...we reaching the tipping point with polution, ect.
    The shit is starting to hit the fan- yey, lets watch the fire works! but seriuosly, it's part of approaching the tipping point, like ash flyinh out of a volcano befor it erupts
    We're all gonna be dead soon!- it's true, no one lives for ever
    Crisis? What Crisis?- Hey, there's always a pace to turn for comfort, the whole world isn't against us.

8. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

We are at the tipping point, the last election proved that. The common man has started to awaken.

For so long we sat back complacently and fell for the selling points, that it will make your life better, lower your health care costs, your taxes smaller.... let us guide the world.

I think people are now seeing that they better be educated and read the legislation before it's passed.

Most of us didn't fall for the bird flu hype, now they are coming at us with both barrels over global warming, and the big bad terrorist threat. The elitists are getting rich and the common man has less protections and is getting poorer.

9. gardener

I say protect my bill of rights first everything else is secondary.

10. gardener

Ever consider or try to balance all this hooplah over Global Warming and Bird Flu and even the terrorism threat in context with the number of lives that have been lost through Aids over the years and the amount of money spent on it or the regulations put in place when it first errupted?

http://www.avert.org/worlstatinfo.htm

I remember when aids first erupted in the states I wondered why it wasn't considered an epidemic. Perhaps because it originially only thinned out the ranks of what most (or the elites) considered undesirables. We were told it only effected gays and introveinous drug users. Now it effects all segments of society. Now we are channeling all kinds of money towards the prevention of bird flu (It's probably just a coincidence that Rumsfield has stock in the company that has come out with a vaccine.), we are worried about global warming (But scientists are divided as to whether or not we face warming or cooling.)...but millions are still dying from AIDS. The poor can't afford the treatments that extend their lifespans. So we continue to turn a blind eye to something that only the rich can avoid. But let's save those polar bears Al Gore filmed.

11. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Pretty much I think there is going to be a third world war. And I hope to God nukes aren't used.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well the global "warming" thing is certainly real, but it isn't going to be solved by putting more power into the hands that already have too much and have gotten us into most of the problems that we have.

the bottom line is still that we live in a world that is exactly neither more nor less messed up then our collective thoughtlessness makes it.

wars, bigger and smaller, may or may not happen, but whether or not they do, what we are doing to the environment and the resaults of that are still the biggest threat, even part and parcel of the forces and incentives driving war and other dislocations.

and the answers to that are to stop using combustion of any kind for anything other then home heating and cooking and to lower human fertility across the board without bias or exception.

if all the oil, coal and uranium were to run out completely tommarrow, and after most of the belligerant city folks starved off as a resault, that would probably solve nearly all of this all by itself.

but since that isn't in the cards, except for maybe oil, it is still up to us to be honest and objective in our priorities and our basis for them.

i know it seems like just one stray idiot came along and screwed it all up when peace was in real danger of breaking out all over, but that stray idiot didn't come along by himself. he was put in place by massive organization with existed and continues to do so, only with the creation of market and opportunity to do so, by a majority of joe sixpacks looking for gratification in trying to impress each other where there is none to be found, instead of considering the effect of their priorities on the kind of world we all have to live in.

=^^=
    .../\...

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

THIS IS THE BEST REPLY I HAVE SEEN!!!!!!! (I tried to REP you but i have to rep others before I can rep you again (Ah man!!))

The people running this country TREAT THE WORLD LIKE SCUM.... No other country HAS KILLED AS MANY INNOCENCE AS THIS ONE HAS!!

No other country TRIES TO FORCE THIER WILL ON EVERY OTHER COUNTRY!!

They are in the final stages of getting this NWO plan going,THE ONLY THING STOPPING THEM is GUNS!!!!!!

They are trying to get people DISARMED so they cannot fight this.......

HOLD ONTO YOUR GUNS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

14. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

the end is near, i'm stocking up and hunkering down.

15. wobs

wobs Senior Member

oh most awfully sorry for upsetiing you with my sexist comment , but i dont think i deserved a red button

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

guns ain't gonna do you jack, except to kill each other. not when just as many and bigger and more powerful ones are in the hands of village idiots who worship hierarchy and will burn you at the stake for being honest enough with yourself not to.

america certainly has been and is very naughty internatioanally, and not that much nicer internally, then many others, if as much so as some.

but i do have to question the accuracy of no other country has ever tried to tell everyone else how to live.

but i must agree completely that america's biggest threat to itself IS itself. or more precisely, the economic interests which have usurped the political process.

the question then arises though, has america EVER been what it tries to claim to be? has any modern nation?

i'm not trying to make excuses for it. there really is a lot that is very wrong, but it is a wrongness motivated by ideology. not one that any ideology can fix.

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As long as capitalism continues to turn limited resources into useless products and people are convinced to purchase those useless products nothing will change. It's always been the same--just simpler products and fewer people to buy them. And more and more people are wanting a " piece of the pie", adios, pie.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

actually there is one immovable object that can and will change that, and that is the limits, unknown in any absolute sense though they may be, of the carrying capacity of the natural environment.

no, its not the little green pieces of paper that are unhappy, it is the processes of nature, that are where the very air we breathe, COMES FROM.

there is also this question of "USEFUL products". as in of more bennificial as well as desirable usefulness then harm. or the lack there of.

19. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Massively indebted, but as long as we can print money who cares.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

money is mostly a smoke and mirrors thing. other then the potential capacities created by what is in your own pockets, it really has very little to do, in and of itself with anything. there is one other thing, that is how it shapes the constructed landscape, often adversely, and that often at the expense of the interconnectedness of all life, both in its ability to provide useful and life enabling function, and again, to a less important, though perhaps more noticable degree, aesthetically as well.

there are several other factors that affect what we experience far more directly, though in many, though by no means all, money provides the often well hidden puppet strings connecting the gestalt of human society upon them.

but really, we are affected by how welcoming we are toward each other. and this in turn is a matter of culture, how our behavior affects each other and how we expect that behavior to be.

some people see only this and look no further. but really it forms the very smallest part of all the other many factors that surround us.

shelter and food are basic to existence. second only air and water.

but they also affect how we feel emotionally, as much, though again for many this is less obvious, as our interaction with other members of our own species.

the availabity, accesssability and utility of transportation and other infrasturcture. infrastructure is, after all, the principal advantage of social organization and very nearly the only reason people tollerate the inequities so often excused for its sake.

the basis of gratification are creating and exploring, and how directly the means of doing so are accessable, effect how we feel about our surroundings, as much if not more, then even the very means of survival itself. and indeed it is thus so many are willing to put at risk the one, for immediate gain in the other.

of course there are other ways it is popular to seek gratification, and these are kept popular largely by the incentive of economic gain by some at the expense of others. generally these involve excitement and self agrandisement. the more popular it is to seek gratification in such things, the more dissapointed people become in life generally, for the simple reason, it is not there to be found.