One thing you would change in past history?

Discussion in 'History' started by zeppelin kid, Apr 30, 2006.

1. guy

guy Senior Member

when i saw the original question my immediate thought was - kennedy

2. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

I would give George Bush Sr. a vasectomy at a young age

3. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

haha..if only you had a time machine!

4. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

i didn't say oswald did it. and, i mean, theres so many other factors that could come into play if you stopped the roman empire from ever beginning. it's not like the barbarians hated to fight or anything. the true beginning of the end of america may have come after FDR died. Truman was kept in the dark about so much, and i beleive it was then that the "powers that be" discovered how easy it is to manipulate the president, and the power of the industrial war machine. however, kenedy was attempting to get rid of all that. had he not died, he may have very well succeded. the CIA would have been disbanded, and we would have pulled out of vietnam. he was the youngest president ever, and symbol to the nation. he was in a position to do great things...obviously others thought differently.

5. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Had Kennedy lived, the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act and the great Society programs might not have passed the House and Senate. Johnson's southern-ness and the "holy" memory of the recently killed President Kennedy were factors in their passing.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

revolution time and mikeE are both half right. kennidy was a child of the mccarthy era. his heart was in the right place but he was also learning and blundering as all humans do. he was a hero on what he did for civil rights and if he had lived he might well have gotten us out of nam and a lot of forign and domestic policy precident would be signifigantly different and hopefully better then what they have become.
    it was also in a sense his own blundering that got us into viet nam in the first place though. grand assumptions and good intentions can do that some times.

fdr, truman, powers that are, ... all too true. but where did the core values, the priorities that created a market for all that come from?

that's where i go all the way back to grece and rome and perhaps even before.

the term barbarians is prejorative. rome MADE enimies and those enimies had legitimate grievances. i didn't mean to imply that everyone who didn't subscribe cities and empires was a long haired peacenic, but this bussiness of glorifying aggressiveness of a kind of conventionality of hierarchal soverignty, this backward headed nonsense that it is somehow desireable or honorable or bennificial to do so, this i think we can trace to the influences chronicaled by early greek observers whom western society seems to have, and i feel mystakenly, all but dieified.

=^^=
    .../\...

7. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

now, i agree, the romans and the greeks were neither a "good" people. and they did romanticize warfare and all that came with it. But how would you explain the rest of the world then? Wars raged in Africa and Asia too, and they had no contact, or perhaps very little contact with Rome and Greece. So, you can't simply say that it has been Rome and Greece that have polluted our moral and ethical ideas. It seems to me that to make war is somewhat in human nature. it is the lure of power, or trying to maintain the power you already have, that drives men to such attrocities. and the term "barbarians" is just a quick and simple way to name all the nations and tribes that exsisted outside of Rome and Greece. And even during the time of Rome and the Greeks, the "barbarians" fought one another. They weren't living in peace before Rome and Greece. I could make the arguement, that had Rome or Greece not fallen, we would be living in a better world today. The world would not have had to endure almost a thousand years of the "medevil age". Reading, writing, and learning would have kept a much brighter flame for those thousand years had Rome or Greece survived.

8. Freekske

Freekske Member

stop adam from fucking eve

9. lalalamort

lalalamort Fucked up upstairs

Probably shoot george washington........hah

10. Inquiring-Mind

Inquiring-Mind Senior Member

never be born.

11. PawPaw

PawPaw Member

We should have wiped out communist Russia while we had the chance in 1945.

12. DrRobert

DrRobert Member

JFK, RFK, and Martin the King would have never been assasinated...

13. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Jerry using heroin the first time.

14. Peterness

Peterness Member

If I could change one thing in history it would be to remove the notion of Communism, Marx and Engels!

Without communism we'd never have had the Vietnam war, the Khmer Rogue and the Cambodian holocaust, the Chinese invasion and genocide of Tibet, gulags, the current Maoist insurgency in Nepal, all the conflicts in Latin America and Africa and well, it would've saved hundreds of millions of lives.

15. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

but peterness, the ideas of marxism and communism was a major force in shaping unions. our country was not too nice to the little guy in the late 1800's. marxism especially helped change many ideas about how to treat workers. or, if kennedy had lived, we wouldn't have gone into vietnam, and it is quite possiable america and russia would have formed an alliance.

16. whereami

whereami Member

If Hitler was never born,then there would just be someone else in his place.

17. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

Go to hell, we would have slaughtered you like the pigs you are.

Now, if I could change one thing, I'd kill Gorbachev in the 70s.

18. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Lets see, an army occupying Japan and Oceania, another army in Europe.
    Russia, largest country in the world, runs across the top of two continents, horrible weather. Supply lines from hell...

"while we had the chance"???!!??

Are you the guy that told Bush that Iraq would take "six months at the most"?

19. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

nah, i'm that guy, I also told Hitler he could be in Moscow in 7 weeks, and the French that the Germans would never attack through Belgium.

20. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

the slave trade