What's in your garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by campfire-fly, Apr 30, 2006.

1. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

Yesterday I planted phase one of my flower, herb and veggie gardens;

herbs: lots of dill, purple sage, rose mary, thyme, mint and basil

veggie: spinach

flowers: Shasta Daisies, pink and yelllow mums, velvet blue daddy petunias, Cascade mums color mix, and good ole marigolds.

What's in your garden?

2. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Herbs: Mint, thyme, parsley, chives, and lavender.

Veg: Potatoes, leeks, onions, carrots, garlic, runner beans, pumpkins, sweetcorn, lettuce, fennel, and soon, cabbage and kale.

Flowers: ox eye daisies, cerastiums, and sweetpeas all in pots right now. Oh and loads of sunflowers.

My main passion is trees though:

Theres loads already in the garden, but some of the ones I'm currently growing from seed are monterey cypress, coast redwood, giant sequoi, silver maple, japanese black pine, cedar of lebanon, and oaks.

3. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

^^ I love your tree grouping!

Herbs: Mint, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, basil, lemongrass, and dill
    Vegs: Potatoes, tomatoes, radishes, lettuce, beets, cucumbers, peppers, green beans, and peas

4. millownotme

millownotme Member

nothing yet! and i dont even know what i want to grow this year

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

potatoes of 3 varieties,, tomatoes of five varieties, cucumbers, squash four varieties, peanuts, luffa sponges, peppers of three varieties, corn, gourds, , garlic and green beans in veggies gardens,
    peach tree, blueberries, strawberries , blackberries and grapes

herbs, basil , lemon basil, thyme, sage, parsley, cilantro , cumin, oregano, rosemary, lavender, chamomile, mint, lemon balm, yarrow, sweet woodruff,catnip, chives, and i know i forgot a few,,,,,

also have a sweet leaf plant growing

flowers,,,, i cant even begin to name them all ....

6. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

In my flower garden I have: shasta daisies, purple coneflowers, wild & cultivated lilies, lamb's ears, silver mound, blue fescue, johnny jump-ups, a giant phlox, and part of the wild rosebush that I uprooted from the woods & brought home to my mom when I was a little girl... which has now made an 8' hedge along one corner of my house. I am hoping to add some more grasses, and black eyed susans this year. Most of my flowers are from cuttings grown in my mother's yard, so I might have even more than that!

We are still in the planning stage for our veggies, but we will be growing the following on our deck: Watermelon, tomato, red & yellow peppers, lamon & lime basil, cilantro, onions, lavender, carrots, pumpkins, lettuce, cauliflower, proccoli, green beans, red potatoes, and strawberries.

And I am considering adding some more herbs along the deck railing... but we will see if I get that far.
    love,
    mom

7. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

Manage my garden as a wildlife magnet- front garden has variety of shrubs including wild rose with various climbers creeping through them + variety of cottage style plants.

Back has patio with numerous pots, wildlife pond with stunning marsh marigolds currently flowering + 1000's tadpoles + a few newts + sticklebacks; a silver birch tree, a small Amelanchier, various shrubs + mix of native/exotic herbs.
    This afternoon the garden has been buzzing with insects in warm sunshine, while various birds visit the feeders- my little paradise!

8. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

i'm a tree buff too, 7 species of japanese maple, azaleas, rhododendrons, bottlebrush buckeye, false-cypress, arborvitae, pyramidal taxus, serviceberry, dogwood, redbud, trilliums, hostas, columbines,4 types of fern, and the list goes on.
    veggies, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, pole beans (dry and snap), zucchini, 5 hot peppers, 2 sweet, corn, etc.
    herbs, rosemary, thyme, sage

9. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

what's in my garden? too much to list here, I'd never remember it all. Here's a start:

I have thousands of bulbs, lilies, daylilies, daffodils, iris, crocus (snow and autumn kinds), crocosmia that has taken over a small patch of my front flower beds, and even some calla lilies that aren't supposed to grow this far north. I have perennials of all sorts, coneflowers, shasta daisies, black-eyed-susans, phlox (creeping and tall kinds), roses, hydrangea, rose-of-sharon, gardenias, azaleas (native and the other kind), a lovely rhododendron that blooms twice a year...
    I have corn, squash, beans, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, and other veggies growing too. I am growing amaranth and quinoa (to eat the seeds) for the first time this year. I am growing sunflowers, marigolds, and other annuals as well.
    I have a humongous fig tree that I usually let the wildlife have the fruits. I have lots of stuff I no longer want in my garden, forsythia and nandina, in particular... Oh, and I have some perennial herbs, too: rosemary, various mints, I think the varigated lemon thyme died on me, it was lovely.

10. seaweedyness

seaweedyness Member

so far at home just green beans, radishes, and basil. at a nearby greenhouse my boyfriend and I are growing some squash, zuccinis, morning glories, watermelons, cucumbers, and some more beans :)

11. Last Stand

Last Stand Banned

Toxic Waste From Near By Factory.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

perenials, volunteers, and scratch built onboard battery powered radio controled half inch to the foot trains.

baby's tears has become the half inch to the foot equivelant of kudzu, but a couple of miniatured pines, i would be undeservedly flattering myself to call them bonasai'd, mint, and something i never learned the name of but has lots of wonderful little tiney flowers on a nanobush type plant, seem to be holding their own against it and the escargot who wiped out the 'lissomes' and lavender i started, more then six years ago, with.

there's also a suculent that seems to be doing reasonably well.

=^^=
    .../\...

13. FinnishButterfly

FinnishButterfly JennyJelly

beets, carrots, sunflowers, broccoli, cucumbers (which will be pickles), strawberries, black berries, thyme, celery, gladiolas, peace lilys, clovers (they make good salad...), rhubarb,.... I know I'm leaving out tons... how about EVERYTHING

14. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

haha not very much so far but....we just made some canned horseradish, i have mint growing in a pot inside but other than that nothing right now, hope to have some tomatoes or cucumbers or something sometime but i am not sure what grows good in sandy soil, not sand like beach sand thats white but dirty sand thats washed up from the floods we always have from our river thats near my house. Any suggestions? Thanx

15. *josai*

*josai* Member

fruits & veggies:
    volunteer squash from the compost, 5 varieties of tomatoes, 4 varieties of peppers, sugar snap peas, mustard greens, salad mix, 2 varieties of eggplant, okra, strawberries, blackberries & dewberries

herbs:
    2 varieties of rosemary, lemon balm, spearmint, chocolate mint, lemon mint, garden sage, yarrow, chamomile, rue, echinacea, clary sage, nettle, tangerine sage, wormwood, myrtle, oregano, 2 varieties of thyme, pennyroyal, celery leaf, catnip, cilantro, parsley, heal all, wood betony, sweet woodruff, spilanthes, lemon verbena, 5 types of basil, calendula, citronella-scented geranium

16. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Sandy soil is generally well drained, and mostly suited to plants such as carrots and lavender and thyme. Have a search online and you should discover other plants that can grow in it. Don't let it hold you back though! If you can get hold of some good compost or manure dig that into the garden and you could grow other stuff aswell.