We started our veggie garden!! Wooohoooo

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by mamaboogie, Apr 14, 2006.

1. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

Just had to share the joy! :) We started our sunflower fort around April 1, and last week we finished up planting our veggies. The girls had more fun playing with the water hose, but we managed to get it all done. I know we started early, but I really wasn't too concerned about the slight possibility of a late frost (here in zone7, they usually say wait until April 15 to plant seeds). We have a few sunflowers already poking up out of the soil! Not sure how well the beans will do without inoculant, but I planted enough to feed a small army anyway. Even if they don't produce to their full potential, I'm sure we'll get some. This is going to be a really fun growing season! I can't wait. Now I just need to figure out how to harvest and thresh the grains I'm trying to grow (quinoa and amaranth, in particular)....

anyone else already planting things? :)

2. cousinit

cousinit Member

it sounds good, my garden is still frozen if you dig down a few inches. it isnt usually safe to start planting around here untill late in May. late frosts can still happen into mid june, but rarely

anyways Im going hard core on my lawn prep this year, snows only been gone a week and a half and I have the whole thing dethatched, manured and seeded allready. I'm going to put my neibors to shame this year.

they're calling for 2 inches of snow overnight up here. which is really good, as spring snow soaks down the lawn better than anything. I doubt the snow will last more than day or two before its gone

3. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

cousinit must live near here cause we had snow last night ...lol

4. seaweedyness

seaweedyness Member

congrats on your veggies :)

5. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

I'm starting mine within a week's time. We planted our potatoes last friday (Good Friday, an old family tradition) and should be starting some tomato plants indoors soon. It's gonna be huge this year, as I hope to be able to pickle and freeze and store like crazy for next winter

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i['m late planting this year. last year at this time, we were already eating spinach, etc

next week, probably

7. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

i got started with a few things pretty early too (also zone 7)...we've been harvesting lettuce and spinach for about a week now. i think i'll get my tomatoes and stuff in the ground real soon

8. Maybelle

Maybelle NeoHipALicious

Yeah!!!!! Gardening! I'm so excited I love it so much. I'm getting ready to start getting the ground ready outside. I already have melons, tomatoes, peppers, and pumpkins started inside. I can't wait for it too warm up outside.

Maybelle= Nature Freak!!!

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

potatoes are in here,,, i was real late getting them in the ground,,,,(frikkin mail orders),, garlic never made it in,,,, tomatoes are growing well in greenhouse, few peppers as well(huge harvest last year) , my herbs are getting ready for transplant as well ,,, we r trying to grow a few peanuts this year as well, unsure of how they will fare as i dont have a clue about them,,,,:), asparagus is sitting here ready to go in,,, also late,(mail orders suck ) and rain issues,,,, but none of us eat it anyway,,, just wanted it around,,,.. hopefully the rest of the stuff will be planted on time but i can never count on that,,,;),,

anyone know of a good , low sun growing herb, veggie or green ,,, i have a small open patch with great soil,,,, just not much light,,,,

10. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

it would appear you live in the south (does kudzu grow anywhere else?)... I'd try something that likes the sun, but grows better up north. You never know with plants.

hmmm... Mint will grow anywhere. Rosemary is easy too. And both of those are perennials and will keep coming back every year. And you can interplant something like Italian Arum (not edible) that will be a nice ground cover all winter long while the herbs are dormant.

11. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

yes mamaB.. we are in north georgia... not sure where else kudzu does grow,,,, wish it werent so invasive,,,, i love it , is pretty n has lotsa uses n would plant me a patch if it wouldnt eat everything else here on the property...

i actually planted mint e last year n it all but died out on me.... rosemary is something i do not have as of yet,,,, i shall possibly attempt something like that there and in the meantime,,, like today since it is pissin down rain do a bit more researchin of shady stuff....

12. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

N. Georgia, huh? we are neighbors then! just go north on I-75 a few miles and here I am. ;)

I've grown sun loving plants in the shade here, the stuff that likes it a bit cooler than our weather around here. If the spot gets any sun at all, you can manage to grow most anything.
    I gotta ask... how in the world did you kill mint!????!!! I once found some growing in my flower patch that I must have dropped a piece and it took root. You could grow a fig tree in that shady spot, if you have the room. They tend to spread out a lot. Depending on whether it's to the north or south of your house, you have different options (some plants like warmer winters than others and do much better with southern exposure). Mostly what I usually do is plant three of the same thing in three different places in my yard. Wherever it did the best, I move it to the next year, or if it's annuals, just go with the most suitable location when planting seeds. Gardening is all about trial and error. What works in my yard might not work in yours!

13. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

i've had good luck growing lettuce and spinach and other early season crops in low sun areas. it's nice because it won't bolt very fast and you can keep fresh greens around throughout the summer

14. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I got my plot tilled and will prolly plant this week! I'm so excited! I'm a kudzu neighbor to the east-it's awful. But pretty in small doses when it blooms. There is a little old man here that it experimenting with non-chemical removal. It's working pretty well. He's cleaned up a few real problem areas last year. Course, there are like a million more tons to remove.

15. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

that's awsome with the kudzu solution. you should tell him to share his secrets with his process...and ask him if it'll work on wild grape vine and poison ivy because it's taking over some areas along a stream that runs through my property

16. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

My husband's roommate (before we were married) got some goats to eat the kudzu off his property. they wouldn't touch it if they had anything else to eat! I've heard that burning it down at the roots (like with a handheld blowtorch/flamethrower thing), repeatedly, will eventually kill it off after about ten years.

anyway, all this rain has really got my garden going!! We have bean plants nearly a foot tall already, the squash and corn and sunflowers are up and identifiable too!! I even have some tiny marigold plants starting to grow. :)

17. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

aside from digging it, does anyone know a good eco-friendly solution for the poison ivy? it has taken over our streambed

18. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I pull it up by the roots. I am not allergic to it, but DH is, so that's my job. I have a special pair of gloves I wear, so he knows not to touch them.

19. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

got most of our veggie seeds in today...delicata squash, spag, squash, cucumbers, green beans,winter squash, peanuts,luffa sponges, and gourds ....alot of the garden space is just too wet to be worked with the tiller and planted,,, so held off on the sweet corn and half the beans and peanuts..... still have transplants yet to get in the ground as well but they are fairly small yet and safe in greenhouse.... yay.... almost back on track... taters are coming along wonderfully as well,,,

20. HippyChick1960s

HippyChick1960s Member

Planted a few seeds, mostly flowers, want to plant veggies. Is it too late to plant from seed? Or do I have to visit a nursery?