Indoor plant that won't harm my kitties

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by silent, Apr 11, 2006.

1. silent

silent Member

I love having plants inside my apartment but my cats always bite the leaves, i don't mind that much cause they're just curious, and since they don't get to go outside I understand their curiosity. but i'm afraid they can get poisoned.
    so can anyone tell me some indoor plants that are kitty safe?

2. Atom bomb therapy

Atom bomb therapy Member

I was reading an article about cats and inside plants today, and here is a list of toxic house plants. The whole article is at yougrowgirl.com. Hope this helps. Much love mama!

Toxic Houseplants
    Dracaena
    Corn Plant
    Easter & Tiger Lily
    Dieffenbachia (aka Dumb Cane)
    Ivy
    Philodendron
    Forced Bulbs - Daffodil, tulip, amaryllis
    Caladium

3. cousinit

cousinit Member

any cactus will work , your cat will very quickly learn to leave it alone, as theyre not fond being poked with needles.

4. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

very few plants would kill a cat. Might make them sick. It would take a really dumb cat to eat enough of a houseplant to do any real damage (to the cat). I'd be more worried about the cats digging up the plants and making a huge mess of your place. You can always grow them their own little plot of ryegrass or catnip to chew on, which they should prefer over your other plants.

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i had a cat that always used to eat my roommate's potplants. never seemed to hurt my cat.

:D

there's always catnip

and some pple grow oats and things like that specifically to give their indoor cats some greenery to nibble on

6. passiflora16

passiflora16 Member

cat's are probably going to eat any house plant you put in front of them so everyone else's ideas with giving them something specific to nibble on like catnip or rye or oats is right on. after a while they will become reliant on that being there as a "midnight snack" and will probably leave your other plants alone