Ficus Bonsai

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Atom bomb therapy, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Atom bomb therapy

Atom bomb therapy Member

Hey guys..

I recently received a ficus as a gift and the person that gave it to me didn't give me the tag that came with it so im wondering what kind of soil i need? Can i get any bonsai soil for repotting? Thanks for any advice and tips on careing for ficus.

Edited:

I also checked my bonsai out this morning and I noticed teeny tiny little black crawly things on the trunk. I looked it up, and it says use Orthene. I checked into that and it says fire ant killer. Is this the same thing? Also a few of my leaves are turning yellow...help! im so confused.

Alicia

2. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Dont fret ficus are strong.the yellow leaves are probly becouse of to much watter.make shure the soil is well draining and the pot has alot of holes in it.Pick up a bag of bonsai soil and use that.The tiny tinny crawly things gotta go,you could use dish soap diluted in a spray bottole or cyan or red pepper mixed with watter in a spray bottle may work.(dont use the ant killer)
    once you fix those probloms just feed and watter when needed,pinch off new growth to thickin the trunk.ficus like full sun and they are tropical so bring him in doors in the winter.Allso ,ficus are propigated easaaly with cuttings,cut a small twig with 3 or 4 leaves on it and put it in a clear glas jar in the sun.once you have a few roots plant it and you will have another tree.(do this only after its healthy agian.)ficus are allot of fun to work with and are esaly trained.good luck with those worms
    woodenfrog

3. Atom bomb therapy

Atom bomb therapy Member

thanks for the advice frog. Where do you buy bonsai soil at? I usually just spray my ficus with a water bottle, should I be watering it more than that? (sorry if that was incredibly stupid...you'll understand right?)

Alicia