The Tragedy of Marley

Discussion in 'People' started by green_revolution, Apr 10, 2006.

1. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

I think it's really sad that a lot of people hardly know Bob Marley for his music. I asked this one kid what music he listened to, he told me Bob Marley. I asked him what his favorite song was, and he tells me he doesn't know any songs, he just likes it caus Marley smoked a lot of pot. Maybe this just happens where I live, considering not many of the people I know come into contact with illicit substances and so I guess they have some image of Bob Marley as this hardcore rebel that smoked pot full time and occasionaly played some music.
    Same thing happens when I hear people discussing Rastafarianism. Whenever I get in on the conversation, it's always about how Rastafarians smoke weed so they can get to Jah.
    Some People are really dumb these days and it makes me rather sad :( . But yeah, just thought I would share my grief with you all.

2. Rigamarole

Rigamarole Senior Member

Yes, I'm sure nobody actually listens to Bob Marley, but just likes him cause he "smoked a lot of pot".

Yeah! Pot!

3. yossarian

yossarian Member

A lot of people here know who he is and listen to his music. He's turning into quite a popular icon. On the flipside, people often listen exclusively to him and don't get into other extremely talented reggae artists. I read somewhere that roughly half of all reggae sold is purely Bob Marley.

4. Persephone81

Persephone81 Member

its just cuz you're young. they'll eventually learn to appreciate all kinds of music and actually hear him.

5. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

Today, i had to say goodbye to 2 guys i worked with all season, who are from jamacia, they both fly out in the morning to go home to their families. Amreicans believe that all of jamica is all "Rasta", but that is not true, in fact most of the people are catholic, & do not have dreads, but have skin heads, ( crazy bald heads ), lol.

These guys do not smoke pot, at all, do not curse, & are of a diffrent breed than the american conception, they talk of their wife & or kids that they miss, struggle with imagration & the processes, ( not like the mexicans with their counterfit papers ), ( we ask no questions )

6. Soberbeah

Soberbeah Member

who cares, it just shows how shallow and superficial he is, oh and boring

7. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Guess, I'm the oldest answering this question so perhaps my opinion on Bob Marley will be a little different. I have quite a bit of Bob Marley. I listen to the words as I do with all the music that I truely connect to. Bob Marley told of his people's hardships. No, I'm not Jamaican but I can relate to hardships in general cause I am human. I have
    felt racism, sexism, and any other kind of "ism" that comes to mind. To me, he
    gave people inspiration as his lyrics voiced "Get up stand up, stand up for your rights".
    Those are words that most anyone can think about and gain something from.
    It is a shame that he died way to early. I believe his influence did make people
    rethink their views on things. As far as the kid who likes Bob Marley because
    he smoked pot, I doubt that is the only thing he would of wanted to remember
    about him when they hear his message.

8. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Guess, I'm the oldest answering this question so perhaps my opinion on Bob Marley will be a little different. I have quite a bit of Bob Marley. I listen to the words as I do with all the music that I truely connect to. Bob Marley told of his people's hardships. No, I'm not Jamaican but I can relate to hardships in general cause I am human. I have
    felt racism, sexism, and any other kind of "ism" that comes to mind. To me, he
    gave people inspiration as his lyrics voiced "Get up stand up, stand up for your rights".
    Those are words that most anyone can think about and gain something from.
    It is a shame that he died way to early. I believe his influence did make people
    rethink their views on things. As far as the kid who likes Bob Marley because
    he smoked pot, I doubt that is the only thing he would of wanted to remember
    about him when they hear his message.

9. Love Fest1969

Love Fest1969 Classic Rocker

I love his music.

10. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

yesterday was the 25th anniversary of his death. I was hoping someone in the music forums would have noticed, but no. :(

11. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

yeah i wasn't on the forums that day and forgot about it afterwards.
    but the fact that bob marley was such a fighter for justice in this world and the fact he still is an icon for a lot of people all over the globe and the fact that the western world forgot about all that and only see some kind of saint of the stoners in him shows how uninterested we actually are about him, his believes and artwork. shallow-mindedness?

12. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

check out a book called "on racial frontiers" by gregory stephens
    there is a whole section on marley
    i met him in '80 in london;quiet, humble and unassuming is how i would describe him
    marley was just a kid who wanted out of the ghetto and that's how it started back in the days of ska and rock steady. music was his medium for doing this. go back to the early days of the original wailers when they dressed in suits and ties. however they were writing tunes back then which carried a big message - "small axe", for example
    go further back than "catch a fire"......

13. NovaStarwind

NovaStarwind Member

I didn't even know who Bob Marley WAS when I started liking his music (a long camping trip with a van ride to Oregon and back singing along to the cd player). I just knew that it was the coolest thing I'd heard in a long time. After camp I got his greatest hits, like any dumb junior high school student, and the loving of his music branched out from there. It was funny that when I started liking it my friends thought it was nerdy Nova-esque music, and didn't listen to it until they became stoners. Now his posters adorn their walls, and they practically worship him. That is very trippy to think about, looking back on it now.... huh.

~Nova