Just bare soil and no experience!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Greeny, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Greeny

Greeny Member

I am being offered a patch of land in a vegetable garden just near my house. This is good news because in my own garden there isn't space to grow anything.

Anyway, I'm after some advice on what to grow first that is reliable and good for a first timer. I live in the UK, and the soil is pretty well looked after and good for growing. I want to grow vegetables and salads organically - where do i start?

2. Yoseff

Yoseff Music Addict

It really depends on what you like to eat.

3. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Prepare the soil first with tilling in organic matter like compost ,dung and anny yard waste.Make the soil rich but well draining.Have some mulch or straw on hand to spead over the garden after planting.
    thats the basics with starting,now just think about wat you wanna grow.
    sunshine to you
    frog

4. pheonix

pheonix Member

good luck with your garden. im starting an herb garden in my backyard.i am also going to try to plant some carrots. hope all goes well for you!

5. Greeny

Greeny Member

thanks.

I've prepared the soil now and got all the seeds ready. Looks like its gonna be carrots, potatoes, onions, beetroot, rocket, radishes, lettuce, parsnips, zucuni, and a few sunflowers.

6. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

unless you have tons of friends who like zuccini, don't let more than two or three plants grow. They really produce lots of fruit! And they take up lots of space. Lettuce you can grow in cold weather, so go ahead and start a row of it now, and just plant more when you harvest some. Have fun! The most wonderful thing about gardening is how unpredictable it is. Plants are alive, and they have a will to keep living and grow and produce seeds. No matter what you do, something will grow in your garden spot, and you will learn so much from it.