The Responsible Drug User's Oath

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by EllisDTripp, Jul 8, 2004.

1. lostblackdog

lostblackdog Member

That was one of the greatest things I have ever read. Ellis, you should be the next person on the fast track to becoming a living saint. St. Ellis.... kinda like St. Stephen, but not really... You're awesome man!

2. Abyle

Abyle Member

Very nice list. More people should abide by it! :)

3. JimiWhizZ

JimiWhizZ Member

That is a very good list.

I wish I gave some thought to responsible drug use when I first started out on this path!
    But Im happy that those are the rules that I prety much live by now.... that I've grown up a little bit :)

Would people agree that there are three fundamental types of drug user:
    1) Those who use, to be Happy;
    2) Those who use, to enhance the happiness they already possess;
    3) Those who use, simply to get as fucked as is possible. (escapism)
    maybe 3) is a part of 1)??
    Im interested to get peoples views on this, its just a thought..
    Its probably alot more complex than this and I know its not a good thing to generalise, but it is what i've noticed in 5 years gettin high.

I also think that 2 is the only way to go having had full experience with each.

4. The Flow

The Flow Member

I have to add at least one more:
    Those who use, to find out more about altered states of mind, because they have to deal with it professionally (e.g. psychologists, physicians, maybe also policemen and lawyers?)

5. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

You are also leaving out people who "self-medicate" using illegal drugs as a treatment for various medical/mental conditions.

6. JimiWhizZ

JimiWhizZ Member

hmm... never thought about that...:eek:

7. The Flow

The Flow Member

I actually am a physician, and drugs have tought me a lot about what´s going on inside people with psychosis or depressions...
    Most of the psychiatrists and -therapeuts I know have used drugs fpr this purpose.

8. treekster

treekster Buddha Dawg

I can attest to the benefit of one of the rules for sure...once went swimming on acid and spent a considerable time trying to swim through the bottom of the pool, until a friend pulled me up...I was sure at the time that the bottom was actually the surface

9. lenore

lenore Member

my god, scary...good thing you had your sober friend with you!....i pretty much abide by you rules most of the time....but ive never thought to hav an observer of the evning....do you think you need to hav someone watching whilst on mushies? me and my two girl friends were gonna go trippin on mushies together, but none of us hav tried them before...you think we'll need a babysitter? i'd appreiciate sum input here folks.....better safe than sorry...cheers :)

10. GCandPfunk

GCandPfunk Member

the company of a friend is a necessity when tripping.. .things just get eerie when your by yourself and if the other person is sober they fall asleep or dont have fun or something.... there should always be more than 1 person tripping.

11. EllisDTripp

IMHO, you should have a sober friend around as well, but it should be somebody who HAS tripped before. ESPECIALLY if you are tripping for the first time.

Only someone who has used psychedelics before will be able to really understand the strange headspaces you might find yourself in, and be able to "talk you down" in case of a problem.

An important piece of reading for anyone contemplating the use of psychedelics is the "Psychedelic Experience FAQ", available at:

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/faqs/psychedelic_experience_faq.shtml

Explains the importance of "ground control" in some depth, along with other issues of set and setting essential to a productive experience.

12. lenore

lenore Member

thanks sooooooooo much folks! much appreiciated :p ellis...that erowid site was REALLY helpful, thanks again!
    question...i only know 2 ppl who ve been trippin before, one is a guy and apparently thats not recommended, the other is a girl but i dont trust her too much to understand if i pee my pants, drool, talk to god etc... who do you guys reckon i should ask to monitor our trip/ come trippin with us??.....all help is gratefully recieved..cheers!;0

13. mynameisjake07

mynameisjake07 Banned

im gonna sell this shit on ebay

14. LSDSeeker

LSDSeeker Member

I dunno, I thought the list was kinda cheesy. I don't trip with a sitter. If I get a bad trip, oh well. Secondly, it is not always easy to find a sitter, but that's another issue.

Intoxicated while employed? I think that depends. If you are involved in a creative field perhaps tripping can help you generate new ideas.

A lot on the list is common sense though.

15. mellow

mellow Eased

wow, those were awesome!
    if only more people would follow these guidelines...

16. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

What happens if you dont know anyone whos had previous experience? what happens when you yourself must take the danger n order to serve your friends? Does that make you a foolish risk taker or do you deserve some sort of honour in taking the risk which can save people in the future?

17. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

Oh but i dissagree with #9. it is also a persons decision as to how important their social life, job, etc is to them. As long as they dont disrupt OTHER peoples social lives, or employment, etc.

A junky who has drugs is the most successful person in teh world. for success is subjective to your desires.

people look down apon 'irresponsible' drug use.

but as long as that user abides by all rules that protect other people then there is nothing wrong, imo.

if a person can fuck themselves up but not affect anyone else, then they should be perfectly allowed to. theyre just stupid. we allow stupid people who afect other peoples lives in parliament, and so, there should be no question apon a stupid person who only affects themselves

18. EllisDTripp

But if your use interferes with your life to the point where you lose your job or other income source, how can you afford more drugs without impacting other people through crime or going on welfare? Not to mention the OTHER things that you need an income for BESIDES drugs....

When drug use gets THAT serious, you can no longer claim that you are only fucking YOUR life up...

19. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yes but these are in essence the laws of being a responsible user. the law must make no assumations ;)

20. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Drug use should be allowed by law for those of us that follow these guidelines.
    Great post. THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED PSYCHONAUTS!