Tie Dye

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by badwolf, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

yeah a kit probably would be best. i just never have liked anything organized like that...somehow it bothers me. one of my weird little quirks, i guess. the picture is awesome, by the way! i guess i'll be ordering a kit. what's the easiest pattern to start with?

2. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

i started with a jacquard kit about 5 years ago. i think the kit is fantastic. it's a great way to learn. there's just a bit of everything and the box gives you great inspiration. there's not much dye in there iirc, but it should get you a couple decent shirts, and leave you desiring more tie dye :)

3. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

thanks. are those your babies? they're adorable!

4. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

they are. thanks :)

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

for as little as you are doing, get the Jacquard kit THROUGH DHARMA, and order a small bit of Better Black (the ONLY dye we recommend from there once you get serious)
    OR let Dharma attempt to make one (you don't like organized? you'll love our hippy dippy brothers and sisters in San Rafel- they do make right on goof ups, and if you have time, it can be funny)
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2095122-AA.shtml?lnav=techniques_tiedye.html

looking at the teeny kit, I 'd ask to have better black, maybe emerald green and a dark purple added.
    but I like jewel colors over hippie flash.
    the explanation of low immersion is pretty good.
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/653691-AA.shtml
    this might make your sheets less scary to take on.
    heck, I need to make some small table cloths for merchanting CDs. I should do this.

I think this is a good description of why it all works (how'd I not see this before?)

QUICK EXPLANATION
    OF THE CHEMICAL PROCESSES INVOLVED IN TIE-DYEING
    Fiber reactive dyes attach permanently to cellulose fibers using a covalent (electron-sharing) bond. These molecules carry a "chromophore" which absorb varying spectrums of the light, allowing only certain spectrums to reflect.
    Covalent bonding is the one of the most basic and strongest types of chemical reactions. This reaction happens gradually over time depending on temperature and/or the Ph level of the surrounding environment.
    The Soda Ash pre-soak raises the pH level of the garment or fabric to approximately 10.5. Raising the pH level of the solution that the fabric or garment is soaked in raises the level of negative hydrogen ions in the dyeing environment. The chemical bonding process uses these ions in the reaction. Pre-soaking in Soda Ash fixer solution is what allows the fiber reactive dyes to work at room temperature.
    The reaction can also be aided with heat. Some tie-dyers have had success with using baking soda and microwaving their dyed articles. Since baking soda is a weaker alkali than Soda Ash, it must be accompanied by heat. Some people who are "chemically sensitive" choose to use this method.
    The dye is allowed to react in a desirable host environment for up to 24 hours. After this time, the bonding sites on the cellulose should be saturated with dye molecules. Excess dye molecules that have not bonded permanently are washed away using warm water rinse and a dye-carrying detergent like Synthrapol.

I can tell you far more than you need to know chemically about analine dyes!

6. drumminmama

7. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

thanks for all your help. it really has been very kind of you. i'll go with your suggestions, of course.:) it's cool that you know so much about this.

8. drumminmama

i didn't have a choice. I live with an almost former dyer.
    we will be creating a DVD and book.

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I know what you mean about buying kits or from Walmart and whatnot... But in any case, you'll be buying brand names anyway, so it's all the same, (un)fortunately.

What's kinda neat about kits is that they also explain some designs for you ~ the most common are swirls or circles or stripes, those are pretty easy. And there's the convenience of having squirt bottles, gloves, and elastics (as someone already mentioned)....

Otherwise, you can always use Kool Aid or food colouring mixed with water and vinegar for dying. Although, I've found that colours are most vibrant using the name-brand stuff. I've used Dylon dyes and Jaquard in the past....

10. drumminmama

I would not say it's all the same. I you order through Rupert Gibbon and Spyder, you are supporting them, and not Waltons.
    Jerry's Artarama has been nothing but golden to me, and I'm in there A LOT with this painting obsession.
    And Dharma are just good people. Forgetful, but good people.
    Prochem is the most professional, so I care who's paycheck I contribute to.
    And it isn't the Walton heirs'.

11. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I got a dye kit from Wal*Mart yesterday... it's my first *virgin* and I'm wanting to do a t-shirt and some sheets. I'm sure the t-shirt will be a sinch but any tips on bed sheets/pillows? I don't want a big mess!

Also, any ideas on water/powder solution to get brighter colors? It says less water makes brighter colors... but less water means less stuff to play with!

12. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i should take my hand to tie dye again. its been a few years. i have been dealing with life.

13. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

yes, life can be a downer. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the negative aspects we forget how to live and enjoy life... enjoy things such as tie-dye and arts and crafts. Seems to me like arts make me feel better about myself. Gives me something to occupy my time with as well as learning a new trade. It's always nice to get into something new.

14. The_Egg

The_Egg Member

any luck yet? I have never tried making a tie-dye myself. well maybe when i was like 5 or 6

15. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Less water does mean less dye to play with but we do tie-dyes for a living & we always use more dye than is recomended; the kits contain the weakest of the suggested dye amounts and are just a few shades darker than a pastel. 'Steaming' the dyed cloth can help with color...place dyed piece in a plastic bag & set in a sunny warm area. Letting the dyed pieces sit for 24 hours before rinsing & washing helps too.

Did your kit come with the squeeze bottles? Those help with the mess. Newpaper under the tied cloth will help too.

also, there are some great tie-dying hints in the Crafts forum

Have fun!!

16. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Thanks for the tips. I plan on starting the project today if it warms up outside. It's a little chilly and cloudy!

17. lunarflowermaiden

lunarflowermaiden Senior Member

Will you take pictures, dixie_pixy? I am curious to see how everything turns out.

18. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/tiedye/a/041601a.htm

here's a site that might be useful to you. i miss dyeing, we did it a lot in my high school art club, but now i'm too busy with college and boyfriend and such...we should all set aside a day to dye, as my mother would say!

19. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

oh hunny don't ever let your boyfriend come before your spiritual cleansing. I started to let that happen. I've been with my bf for going on 3 years and until a few months ago I let my whole spiritual journey sit on the back burner! Don't let that happen to you.

But, thanks for the link.... love yah!

20. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

Only one more hour and I get to go tie dye. I'm really excited. I've been waiting until I can do it with my niece, nephew and sister-in-law. Had to wait for a good time for them and myself. Can't wait! I'll take pictures of the process and the finished products. Should have pictures up by tomorrow!