Shut down margarine production!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Bilby, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

OK , how do you explain the so called "French Paradox" ie a diet loaded with butter and cream but low on heart disease and generally long life expectancy? Also look at the Philippines. The main cooking oil they use is coconut that is 93% saturated fat. If your theory is correct people should be dropping died like flies left right and centre. Coconuts are used extensively in the diets of Pacific Ocean islanders but as far as I know they are not dropping dead like flies either. As for Finland I think you are referring to a study done after WW2 that found in Europe Finland had the shortest life expectancy and Greece had the longest. Diet was it was decided was the key factor. Nobody seemed to question if the Mediterranean climate was generally more amenable to humans than arctic /sub arctic climate of Finland.

Well I guess that does not apply to butter.

2. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

am i the only one who feels sick after reading stuff about oils, and margarines and butters and criscos 95 times? eeeshk. [​IMG] i feel like i need a shower.

I'll be much happier when my family gets to watch me die a horrible drawn out death at 55, because hey....i got to "eat & drink what i want" in my life and not be "bored" for 20 years because i didn't chose to be healthy

yawn.

what a society....revolving happiness around food.
    congratulations world, thanks for the neverending rise in healthcare costs because you wanted to be "happy" being a fat ass.

PS. Matt In Vegas....2 heart attacks? That's crazy! How long ago did they happen? Glad to see you survived them. It's crazy when you learn the things people behind the screen names go through...... :rolleyes:

3. streamlight

streamlight Member

You misunderstood what I said, eating these things that some people say are bad for me, could reduce my life, but I'm not a big fan of all these "healthy" foods, so, I'd take my chances of dying a little sooner without having to force myself to eat something I don't want to.

4. SDS

SDS Member

Yes the convention is when they're talking about a product that naturally has as many hydrogen atoms as possible they say "saturated". And when it's done artificially they say "hydrogenated" and this generally means partially hydrogenated resulting in hydrogen atoms in the trans configuration or "trans fats" like most margarines.

It's pretty much agreed hydrogenated "trans" fats like Crisco, most margarines, Oreo cookies, most baked goods one buys in a supermarket etc etc etc are not good.

But Bilby I know you're interested in saurated fats so how bad are saturated fats like butter, coconut and palm oils? Actually I have not personally researched this matter in depth. I know they say "If you have a choice between butter and margarine made with hydrogenated oil choose the butter." There is one piece of "official" information of which I am aware however and this is the recommendation on the SmartBalance (or EarthBalance see www.earthbalance.net) margarine package. They advise limiting total fat intake to 30% of daily calories (or about 65 gms fat/day), limiting SATURATED fat to 10% of calories (or 20 gms/day) and of course avoiding trans fats. Brandeis University found as I mentioned earlier that this improves the good HDL/ bad LDL relationship. Also I believe here in the US the National Cholesterol Education Panel makes the same dietary recommendations for limiting total fat and saturated fat.

The French Paradox? Again I haven't researched it in depth but frankly I suspect red wine really makes a difference. Both the alcohol and the red substance seem to be protective. I see patients for a living and it is quite a common finding to see unusually high good cholesterol HDL levels in drinkers and HDL is known to play a protective role against atherosclerosis. But don't exceed 2 oz of alcohol (preferably red wine) daily because beyond that you get into liver problems. Also alcohol as I may have said before is a carcinogen for example it raises the incidence of breast cancer. But more people die of atherosclerosis than cancer. I've seen people who are simultaneously heavy drinkers and heavy smokers and sometimes I get the impression they're still alive only because the drinking protected them from the atherosclerotic effects of smoking.

Smoking is the #1 Killer in the USA. Drinking is like the #11th Killer, relatively way down the list. It is a known stastistical fact that those who have 1-2 oz per day of alcohol live longer than those who abstain. I think I said this before.

Listen to the doctor and not the preacher.

Don't drink if you can't control it. Don't drink and drive.

If I were female I'd probably worry about drinking because 1 in 8 females eventually gets breast cancer.

1 in 8 smokers gets lung cancer. Odds just a little better than Russian Roulette. I may have said this all before.

All smokers get atherosclerosis. They get it "bad". Unless they have a very favorable family/cholesterol history or they drink alot, if they're lucky on top of it all. Atherosclerosis along with cancer is what makes smokng the #1 Killer. But most people aren't aware of the vascular disease from smoking they just think lung disease because you breathe smoke into your lungs. But that's just half the story. The stuff goes right in your bloodstream and plugs up your arteries more and more with every single cigarette!

You know how smokers are all prematurely wrinkled? That's not from smoke getting on their skin. No -- these folks are PICKLED FROM THE INSIDE OUT !!!

And so on and so forth.

5. Bilby

Well I am quite convinvced in my own mind that I managed to kick the smoking habit by switching from margarine to butter and discontinuing drinking soy milk. Funny I was drinking soy milk before it became supermarket item. I am also quite convinced in my own mind that skimmed milk or anything made from it gives me haemorrhoids and butter cures it for me at least. I am not saying what has worked for me would necessarily work for anyone else, but I must say for others who have managed to kick the somking habbit they are at least consumming some butter in their diet even if it still contains some margarine. Ever notice that smokers are generally consummers of margarine rather than that of butter? Most of the time when I try to tell anyone how to give up smoking only about 1 in 5 people are interested.

6. Bilby

Where did you read that butter is hydronated? You are getting terms confused.Hydronation is used to solidify oils. Butter is a bit on the hard side straight from the fridge so there is no need to hydronate it. If anything
    some manufacureres are adding veg oil to make it softer.Anyway it is not the hydronation itself that is harmful but the fact that essential fatty acids are destroyed in the process and very harmfull trans fats are created.

7. KParker730

KParker730 Member

Hey i think you guys are kind of off. The bad stuff is the partially hydrogenated. Fully hydrogenated isnt as bad. You people who think that you don't need to worry about this need to check out this website- www.bantransfats.com That has FACTS that all you people need. This organization has sued several companies including kraft (the lawsuit was dropped but kraft introduced a trans-fat free oreo) and has convinced others to stop using them. Soo... take this seriously, trans fat is worse than any of you know.

Oh and to all you people saying that you need it because youre lactose intolerant, or its ok in small doses, it isn't! We have only been making this kind of stuff for 100 years, and just in the past few decades have increased our consumption incredibly without realizing it. It's in almost all pre-prepared foods such as cookies, crackers and fast food. Look on the labels!

8. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Right on.

9. sExY BaBy KaTiE

sExY BaBy KaTiE Banned

fuck margerine it sux butter owns it

10. Jerry_Garcia

Jerry_Garcia Member

Right on. You want to meet sometime? I'll bring the butter. ; )

11. petrock

petrock Member

i put butter in rum

12. ass_spelunker

ass_spelunker Member

thats too bad i was planning on using margerin as loob at the orgy

13. sExY BaBy KaTiE

sExY BaBy KaTiE Banned

as sean paul says you can be the poppa i can be the mom uhoh

14. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

It's a personal choice, just like cigarettes & marijuana.

I love how liberals should be pro-choice (has nothing to do with abortioni) yet they try to control certain areas they deem bad.

1 person likes this.
  15. Haid

Haid Member

Unfortunately this is a problem with all people in power they always think they know what is best for the masses. I say its all personal choice and at the most people should be pushing for education on topics the masses make their own personal decisions on.

16. the_psyches_prism

the_psyches_prism Member

1. I was raised to abhor margarine and will NOT eat it under normal circumstances simply for the reason that I would rather have butter! Margarine scares me man!

2.I smoke natural tobacco.

3.I eat what my body feels is right at the time and what is readily available. Usually I eat alot of veggies and alot of lean protein, like fresh spincah greens and salmon with olive oil drizzled over it all. However, about once a month or so I will eat something like a big greasy pizza. Why? Because I want to!

Dude, you totally have the right to voice your opinion on margarine, and yes, I actually agree with alot of what you are saying about it...I wouldnt touch the crap with a ten foot pole! It is great you are getting this info out there! Alot of people dont know this stuff! So yeah I totally support you and the Margarine Crusades, but you might want to think of not being so agressive and argumentative about it! Unless you are looking for a fight...dont start off a post of any conversation with offensive language! And I dont mean just cussing! Think of it as a sport, I personally do not like sports but in life as in sports you can either play defense or offense...I kindly suggest that you NEVER open up a topic of conversation as the agressor! If things escalate to the point where you feel you need to take action then it is cool to defend your stance! Just keep in mind when you go into the bull pin waving the red cape...expect to be charged by the bulls! You can get into SO much trouble by acting like you have something to prove! You may have ALOT you want to say and get heard but there are way more productive ways to do so than to be agressive! So its all good, Im not trying to jump on your back for the margarine thing man, just CHILL....If this means something to you, re-evaluate your goals and devise a sound strategy...

P.S Blue food has been found to be un appetizing because in nature there are only a very few handfuls of healthy, non toxic things that are edible! The reason for this lies in the fact that in nature if you run across food that is blue it is usually in the final stages of decomposition.

17. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

What did that have to do with my comment?

Reducing people's choices reduces freedom; people need to be allowed to make stupid decisions to learn.

18. Bilby

Problem is that there is so much disinformation around. I used to think that margarine was healthy!

19. streamlight2

streamlight2 Member

Are you saying that mararine has been around for only 100 years or so, because that is a lie.

20. the_psyches_prism

the_psyches_prism Member

Margarine is a partly hydroginized product. The process of hydroginizing liquid oil was discovered in 1897 by Paul Sabatier, and was patented in 1902 by Wilhelm Normann. The components of margarine have been available to mankind since the beginning of the Earth. However, the technology that made the production of the product was not discovered until 1897, therefore it would have been impossible for anyone to make margarine until at LEAST the year 1897. No sweetheart, its not a lie.