Eventual destruction of the Earth

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Professor Jumbo, May 11, 2004.

1. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

Selfish reasons?
    Whats selfish about haveing to conserve and preservate so that more people will be able to expierence life on earth in the future?
    Personally, I don't care either way, because if you get really deep into that theoretical Omnipresent, Omnipotent force of energy/conciuosness shit, then were all really just memory's of thing's that have already happened, or never really happened at all. Memory's being remembered with self imposed limitations so as to trick ourself into thinking there is a meaning to our existence, and to keep busy maybe, so that we don't decide to not think and therefore not be, or something thats vaguely similiar to that somewhat misconstrued interpetation.

2. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Selfish in terms of personal greed and such, but moreimportantly selfish from a species standpoint if such a thing can be said to exist. Que human race do we strive to protect the environment, ecosystems, various endangered species merely for the future enjoyment of the human race? Is there another reason somewhere? If destruction of whole ecosystems and environments would somehow bring greater happiness, contentment, satisfaction, range of experience and etcetera to the human race would we then be compelled to destroy instead of protect and preserve?

This is more along the lines of what I mean by "selfish reasons".

3. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

From the scientific/empirical standpoint, do you consider satifying our curiosity concerning what we might eventually be able to achieve, given the time to evolve byeond our current state (socially/ intellectually/ technologically/ physically/ whatever) as being a form of greed or selfishness?

We are already doing this, and in my estimation, it isn't working out that well.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well if we don't stop looking at everything else as being there solley for our own enjoyment and at least begin to consider the possibility that it just might be there for its own, we might not be arround that much longer to enjoy our own. i don't think that's actualy going to happen right away. but there's a real good chance of it comming real close to doing so. when we realize our own survival depends on everything else existing for ITs own sake and not just for ours, that is the begining of all thouse prophesies and promisis of fulfilment. pardise returns when we stop destroying it. whatever it takes for that to happen, sometime in the next few generations it very likely will. i don't think we need to throw the comfort zone of so called civilization out with the bath water. we just need to recognize and accept the responsibility to look for and impliment sustainable ways of gratifying it. ways that don't assume the existence of everything else to be for our bennifit rather then its own.