Virtual School

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by busmama, Feb 10, 2006.

1. busmama

busmama go away

I have been thinking of enrolling the kids in one of the new "virtual schools", here in OH they have free pulic virtual schools. I found one ODELA that looks cool. Has anyone tried one? I have a lot of questions. They supply computers, printers, ink, paper ect.. plus up to $2100 in reimbursements for "educational" material. They told me I could use the $$ for music or other lessons, sports, museum memberships, field trips, learning toys, and any supplemental materials I wanted. And I still get to pick the curriculum.

BUT, it seems to good to be true and I keep thinking that there must be a catch in here somewhere. I know that the kids would have to be tested every year, which we are not required to do now. They assured me I could get a waiver for vaccinations, because the kids would have to enroll just like public school ie, birth certificates, shot records ect.

I feel like a traitor even thinking about it,lol, but it has been hard lately with me going to college full time and papabear working like 12+ hours a day, I feel like I have no support. Most of our family thinks we should just "put them in school" because it would be "easier", but I just don't feel comfortable with that and we don't have any good private schools anywhere in the area. I have been trying to find a homeschool group, but there are two and both are very conservetive christian and want to know where we go to church and have a sponsor and all that, All of my friends (yes even those rainbows) send their kids to public schools, so no support there.

I have been so busy I wonder if the kids aren't missing something. and supplies for three kids is rather expensive, plus trumpet lessons, piano lessons, dance and all that. It is just an idea and I would like to know if anyone else has tried it?
    BLESSINGS

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

waaahwo ewo wooo

. . ... that's sposed to be a trumpet song . heard it in the woods .

3. busmama

busmama go away

I have come to my senses, of course I will not give them my kids.

4. PurpleMapleTree

PurpleMapleTree Member

Good Plan Bus Mama.
    I was homeschooled for highschool, and loved it. After being in public schools until 7th grade, then a private school, my parents and I ultimately decided on homeschooling. I have a few friends that have been homeschooled their entire lives, and are now just about graduating highschool. Depending on the way the parent presents the way of education, I think it's sooooo beneficial to the children to be homeschooled.
    Since I started in highschool, I was able to help design my curriculum with my parents, and create a well rounded... but completely out of the ordinary learning experience.
    I give my parents credit. So... good job to keep homeschooling.. 'non-virtually", your kids will absolutley thank you later!

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

You only have two local homeschool support groups? Are you sure? There are literally dozens of them here, and this is just a medium sized town, not a big city or anything. Start your own homeschool group if the local ones don't fit. You'd be suprised how many like-minded parents you will find! :)

6. busmama

busmama go away

We actually found alot, most wanted me to sign a paper agreeing with all of their belief's and at least one wanted a letter from my pastor.
    But we did finally find one which is much more our groove and we are trying it out right now.
    Ohio is just one of those conservitive type places. There are lots of us freedom lovers here, you just have to look to find them.

7. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

lol... it's not much better here in MN either busmana. Even being a somewhat conservative Christian, I have a hard time finding local support groups. What you and I consider conservative, and what other Christians would consider conservative are worlds apart from each other. No, I just can't support a group of gun-toting minivan-hugging "soccer mom" type people who happen to homeschool because it's the in thing at church this week. I'm an evil pagan-loving weirdo who doesn't eat red meat for every meal, understands the concept of appreciating nature for it's own value, and I don't hand out hellfire & brimstone pamphlets to everyone I see not wearing an ixoye fish. If that makes me too weird for them, then so be it.

What did you decide on the virtual school? I've been considering something like that for my son, when he reaches higher math & science courses in a few years.
    love,
    mom

8. ladybirdhawk

ladybirdhawk Member

Have you ever thought about just creating your own "alternative independant school" and creating your own curriculum to suit your child's interests etc.

I heard about a girl named Heather who created her own school

I think her and her mom have a website at peaceandcarrotsfarm.com
    or ou can look it up in the google.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm seeking info on a comuter based curriculum at compuhigh.com (grads/ grades are from "Whitmore High School" ).
    MY son is just not clicking with public school, and NOW his dad sees this as great.
    catch: he's living with dad, three states away, and dad works FT. We would alter time so that kiddo did 6-6 or 3-3-3-3 (months at each home) so I'd have six months total. I was looking at having him complete assignments in the afternoon and I'd be available in the late afternoons/evenings (I get home about 4) plus weekends.
    BAsing on most homeschool kids can be done in four hours/ day, am I looking at a decent option???

10. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

There are alot of variables involved. What grade? How many subjects? Do they count your online time?

I can tell you that I have a tenth grader doing work through a correspondence school and it takes about 6 hours to complete. However, the work is done independently and all I do is check and converse about the assignments that day. Usually about 1 hour for me to get it done. The essays are sent in and we have a couple of courses on video too.

Hope this helps

11. Mohave_Jim

Mohave_Jim Member

I think public school aren't so bad places. When somebody grow up just like spending time with other people. I'm not christian and pagan as well:) But I think that's essential part of our life to meet people, exchange experience, just grow up with companion of other people. When self educated kids gorow up they wouldn't be able to cooperate with other, example in work! We should look about all pluses and minuses. Have some other suggestions?

12. busmama

busmama go away

I did enroll them in an online based public charter school. It is working well with my oldest son, but there is just not enough flexibility for my youngest. Plus the place is incredibly disorganized. While we are being threatened because some of my 2nd graders work was late, they still have not even so much as ordered her books. Half the time they keep the teachers in meetings so much of the time that they are impossible to get a hold of with any questions. Every test my kids have taken so far has been flawed and I ended up having to track down thier teachers and have the grades re-entered. Maybe somewhere out there, there is a decent internet school, however dela isn't it. I will be sending in my homeschool notification again soon, at least for my two youngest. I will probably let my son finish out the year as he seems to like the program.

How silly, you think that just because they don't go to public school they don't get to meet people, exchange ideas or just have the companionship of others. They're homeschooled, not in prison.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

good2bhome,
    yes this helps.
    Was your kiddo one who was bored with busywork?

14. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

I don't believe that was my kiddo. He is loving the classical program we are doing and mom is loving the support of someone else looking at his compositions this year.

15. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I did my highschool using the curriculum *School of Tomorrow* I wasn't homeschooled but at a small private school. It's a curriculum that could be taught at home because it is indepedent teaching for the most part. Personally, I only did it because I could not take public school anymore, but the young kids who were doing it were, amazingly, very advanced. I'm talking about 4-5 year old children reading at the level of our 8-9 year olds in our public school district. It is a Christian program but it's not so bad. I think if I ever have kids and the time comes for schooling, I will defintely consider using this curriculum. You get a set of 6-12 Paces(booklets) that counts as a year/semester for each subject. The parents/teacher keep the score books, so you don't have to send them in for grading. I don't know...I actually liked it.

16. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I think the virtual school idea is quite cool.

17. sean.william109

sean.william109 Guest

Is your kid’s career safe with CPHS? A million dollar question!!! This school is disgraceful. Poor guy, my son Joshua is literally scared of this school now and implores me to opt him out from this school. He is scared of submitting his assessments because most of the time he has to submit the same assessment over and over again. More often than not, the school “misplaces” his assignment (supposedly due to technical glitches) and these have to be resubmitted.

They are in business only to fill their coffers with total disregard to any commitment for the students. Check out other postings before you invest your dough in this school.