My friend sleeps on the street

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Robertini, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Robertini

Robertini Member

Actually the poor guy can't handle all the child support bills. He was renting a room. He had to pay health insurance for his kids. He ended up living in his van. He has gym membership and would take baths at the gym. Everything was going ok until he had an accident on the road. It wasn't his fault and probably the other guy's insurance will pay. But he didn't have insurance. So he probably will lose his license. Now the van is a wreck parked on the street. He doesn't know when he will get ticket or be asked to move it. He is taking the bus but uses the van to sleep at night.
    Is this the type of story you want to read here?

2. guy

guy Senior Member

i've been in this situation as a student, do it for long enough and one way or another you'll end up in hospital. do him a favour and offer the use of a sofa/ floor. lay down some ground rules -not hanging around the house all day, washing regularly etc. be prepared to do this for the long haul. cultivate the idea of working towards a mutual benefit, he helps you, you help him. don't allow yourself to be screwed over what ever happens

3. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

Totally agree. This is something that could happen to any one of us and I guess we'd all like to think we'd be given a helping hand. In better times he'll be able to pass the good deed on to someone else, that's how I see it anyway.

4. cymru_jules

cymru_jules Member

i concur !

5. thecrowing86

thecrowing86 Member

I would make a deal with him: He can move in, but he has to help out around the house + step up with his jobs. Just like someone said earlier, a kind of mutual benefit seems like the way to help him AND you out a little, unless your wife etc. doesn't want him in your house...