Outdoor Living - In The City

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Kris, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Kris

Kris Visitor

Hello,

Coming up this summer I am going to live outdoors for who knows how long. I'm going to be 20 soon enough and have nothing done in my life, and need a change. I was kicked out of school when I was 15 and have lived a rough life since then living in the ghettos of the city. Drugs, schizophrenia, jail, crime etc. Right now I have nothing to do. I'm sick of leeching off people, and love the outdoors and being able to be free from all the stresses to normal life such as work and money. I plan to live outdoors for some time.

The problem is, I live in the city. There is no forests, streams, lakes, mountains. Just office towers, condos, factories, millions of people, and concrete. I have no money to travel. No money for food. No education to get a job. Due to that, I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't exactly want to live like a homeless kid in shelters sucking back malt liqour, and squatting in abandonments. I have a tent, theres a river that runs through the city with a fair amount of unclaimed land. That solves the option for somewhere to live. I can easily grow some food, I've done it before, but there is no guarentee. Clean water is no problem. The problem with food is the thing that concerns me.

This is something I really want to do, and most likely will. A way to test my endurance in a way, and simply because I've always wanted to. I've read all sorts of stuff, but I live in the city, not some rural area or big country where I can hitchhike. I live in Canada, so it gets super cold, even in the summer. Does anybody have any advice concerning outdoor live in a city, even if it is theoretical?

2. brack1936

brack1936 Member Lifetime Supporter

All I can suggest really is to hitch a ride on a truck to somewhere more pleasant. However, if you can get away with it, sticking near the city is convenient.

3. Panik

Panik Member

I love camping out in the city when it's warm, in bushes and on rooftops are the best places I've found!

If you don't want to be in the city, get out. Like that person said hitch a ride or whatever. If you are content with the city and want to try to make it there... Camping on that river sounds really awesome if you can make that work. So you've grown food in the city before? Like what? I imagine it would be hard to sustain yourself that way. If you don't want to deal with money you can find loads of great food in dumpsters :) Food is so easy to come by, I promise.

So why is it you can't hitchhike out of the city...I'm confused?
    You'll probably want to find yerself a 0 degree sleeping bag if you're up in canada.

4. brack1936

brack1936 Member Lifetime Supporter

THAT person? Sheesh .........
    So much for an identity :-?

2 people like this.
  5. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Get your GED and get a job.