Separate Paraffin and real resin.

Discussion in 'Hashish' started by TheFennec, Jan 14, 2006.

1. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

I just bought some crap Haschish mixed with lots of paraffin.

I was wondering if it was possible to separate it with the resin with some chemical help.

Thx for replies :)

2. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

i highly doubt it's worth it as shite resin contains practically 0% THC content.

3. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

It's not 100% paraffin :)

When u smoke it, u get high... No doubt with that. It's not total crap shite.

But the matter is the taste :]

4. nesta

nesta Banned

i don't know how soluble parafin would be in alcohol, but theres a chance it wouldnt dissolve. however, it's a petroleum product, so theres a very high chance any nonpolar solvent you use would dissolve it very easily. if it's not soluble in alcohol, though, and you had a very large supply of it, you could make a sort of extract with some very high purity alcohol and do whatever you wish with it. it will come out more like hash oil than hash, though, so the yield will be pretty low. if there isn't much parafin in the end product at all, it should be perfectly good, and should be very powerful.

of course, this is all assuming alcohol wouldnt also dissolve the parafin. which it very well may. and if you intend to consume it orally, NEVER use ANY alcohol except for ethanol.

5. Grapefruity

Grapefruity Sunny Side Up

6. dj_reegz

dj_reegz Member

paraffin is soluble in most types of alcohol.

7. nesta

nesta Banned

paraffin is a petroleum product; it won't dissolve into water. it will remain with the actuall cannabis resin after the extraction. if alcohol wont work, there might be a different way to use water. when making bubble hash with ice cold water, doesnt the resin sink to the bottom? if the paraffin floats like it normally does, this method could be used to seperate the two substances if you're able to powder the stuff.

8. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

Thanks for the tip, i'll try tomorrow.

Btw, i didnt get ur last sentence..

"of course, this is all assuming alcohol wouldnt also dissolve the parafin. which it very well may. and if you intend to consume it orally, NEVER use ANY alcohol except for ethanol."

Well, how can i use my hash if i cant smoke it?? Maybe i didnt understand what u mean..

9. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

10. nesta

nesta Banned

all of what i said that you quoted was dependant on paraffin not being soluble in alcohols, which apparently it is (not surprising)

basically what i was saying was that if you were going to prepare the hash to be consumed orally, you should only use ethanol as the alcohol, because any other alcohol could poison you (ethanol is drinkable alcohol, like whats in beer and wine and spirits)

isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and methanol (wood alcohol) are both poisonous to drinkl, but so long as they're relatively pure and are evaporated off before consumption, they shouldnt leave anything behind in the extract that would hurt you when you smoked it. they just shouldnt be consumed orally.

however all of this is a moot point since apparently paraffin WILL dissolve in alcohols.

on another note, i pointed out in another post that paraffin (much like THC) will not dissolve in water. using hot water WILL NOT seperate the THC from the paraffin. they will both resist dissolving in the water, and so when you filter it they will both be present in the final product. you wont be helping yourself much.

11. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

12. nesta

nesta Banned

yes i've read the damn thing, and paraffin isn't wax anyway, it's a petroleum product as i've pointed out many times already. either way, it doesn't mix with water and won't dissolve into the water any more than olive oil will. the extraction will ONLY work for water soluble impurities, so paraffin will be left behind along with the resin, because neither one will dissolve in the water.

just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's 100% effective, doesn't mean that it tells you everything you need to know, doesn't even mean that it's remotely true.

just because the site says it works for beeswax and such doesnt mean it does very well at all, and doesn't mean it works for everything. it could tell you that it will turn the hash into gold, too, but that wouldnt be an accurate statement.

you can't ignore simple rules of chemistry. all this is is a VERY basic hot water extraction - almost like making tea. and when you use water as a solvent in an extraction, it only goes to follow that the solvent will only dissolve certain substances. water will only dissolve water soluble substances. paraffin is not water soluble, in fact its very water resistant. it's a petroleum product like gasoline or oil. it doesn't mix with water. it will seperate from the water along with the hash, so it will still be left behind.

i'd think a more appropriate question would be did YOU read the site that links to?

13. adrian nor

adrian nor Member

Try to light it... Paraffin burns like hell :p

14. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

I tried hot water extraction.... The water turned yellow kinda fast, and i had almost 1 gramme left on 1.5 used. The shite were a bit better, but the paraffin was still here indeed. I just wondered if the THC isnt extracted in water like tea??? Cuz in rhum or anything, it dissolves into water...

I have to try ethanol now.. How can i get ethanol? I know it's the eatable alcohol, but how to extract it from drink? OR mb can i buy it in some shop..

15. Thunder2002

Thunder2002 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

16. Thunder2002

thc, along with paraffin is not soluble in water. In rum, it binds with the alcohol, just like the paraffin will

17. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

Ahh nice... So i guess if it try an extract with alcohol, both resin and paraffin will mix with it? Kinda useless then.

18. Thunder2002

yep, your stuck unless there is another method

19. TheFennec

TheFennec Member

Errr, that's why i was asking about a product that mix with paraffin, and wont with THC.... A product that mixes with both is total ininteresting.

20. Thunder2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin The temp in which paraffin becomes liquid is less then the vaporization of thc, would heating and straining the hash with boiling water in a coffee filter cause gravity to remove the paraffin?
    Im not sure if that could work, this is not my area of expertice, Anyone?