what do you do?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by esco, Jan 8, 2006.

1. esco

esco Member

for all of you guys living on the road or just taking really long trips: what do you do for a living, where do you get the money?
    sorry mods if this is a stupid topic, already answered..

2. erowid

erowid Member

I wait on the side of the road, hop in front of traffic and sue the drivers

3. esco

esco Member

well, that's one way of making a living :) not for me though. i had a close encounter with a car just six months ago. not a nice thing..still feelin the consequences

4. smashed kaleidoscope

smashed kaleidoscope Member

seasonal work, labor ready, beg, street perform

what can you do?

5. Mellow1

Mellow1 Member

I have two friends that from April through October live in a small camper and mow lawns for a living. Once winter comes they hit athe road and snowboard for the other 5 months. If money runs tight they work seasonal jobs at the ski resorts. They have been doing this for 5 years now. I envy them in way.

6. esco

esco Member

jump in front of cars? ;)

no really, i play melodica a little. don't know if it would make a good street performance.. i make some bracalets (?), nothing too spectacular..

heh, me too. but they do this in america i pressume?
    anyone got any experience in europe?

7. esco

esco Member

oh and another thing, about these seasonal jobs: how to get them? do you just walk into some place and ask if they require a helping hand or what? i'm new to all of this so be patient and explain it please ;)

what is this?

8. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Labor Ready is a place you go to, and people come and get you, then you work for the day with them...that might not be the best explanation, maybe someone else that has some more experience can explain it. :p

Here's some info about their temporary work...http://www.laborready.com/Page.aspx?hid=32...

9. esco

esco Member

yeah, i get it. you put yourself 'for sale' for one day ;)
    let me guess, an american thing?

10. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I'm a corporate bitch for a certain amount of months and then hit the road and don't work at all for the next few months and live off what I've saved. Easy to do if you travel in Asia.

11. Mellow1

Mellow1 Member

Labor ready sucks. The only good thing about them is that they pay you that day. But the work is usually the worse, like standing in a street island with a "going out of business" sign or some shit. THere is a lot of seasonal work in the Rockies at ski resorts or lakes and landscape companies. Yeah, just go in and ask. Worse they can do is say no.