Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Doraemon, Dec 21, 2005.

1. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

i enjoyed josie and the pussycats but probably because it was a parody of the music industry. I'm a drummer and studied music business in school so I enjoyed it thoroughly! Du Jour was so funny :)

2. Lainey

Lainey Member

Waking Life
    is all i can think of

1 person likes this.
  3. JoneeEarthquake

JoneeEarthquake Member

11:14
    wolf creek
    clerks

4. JoneeEarthquake

JoneeEarthquake Member

wolf creek
    clerks

5. JoneeEarthquake

JoneeEarthquake Member

wolf creek
    clerks

6. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

hehe yeah,that was good one;)

7. EnterTheFarside

EnterTheFarside the cats pajamas

sorry jointman, but The punisher sucked

8. Lainey

Lainey Member

clerks, of course, how could i forget.

9. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

yeah one of my favorites too but i wouldn't call it underrated....isn't it the highest grossing independent comedy ever? Shot for like 30K and grossed well over 3 million awhile ago....

10. strangemeeting

strangemeeting Member

Koopa right about Clerks... As a Kevin Smith's classic... the first film sometimes have a loyal following or be superior than the others, but it depends on you view it. *i don't know*

Adaptation is pretty underrated in terms of public awareness. Charlie Kaufman will always be synonymous with either Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Being John Malkovich, but both films are amazingly crafted... Maybe I am being bias here, cos Adaptation is one of my personal "all time" greats :)

11. Lainey

Lainey Member

maybe i thought CLerks was under rated because i hadnt seen it untill about a month ago, and i wondered y nobody ever made a big deal about it to me

12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Hustle.(1975) The last time I saw this movie on TV it was in the early hours of the morning. All the dramatic highlights had been edited out rendering it into a piece of junk TV drama that the film was satarising in the first place. Such editing shows absolute contempt for the director. The only critic that has any regard for the film is David Thomson in his book The Biographical Dictionary of the Cinema.

The Funhouse (1981).Directed by Tobe Hooper who made the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

13. Doraemon

Doraemon Member

Josie and The Pussycats is a great music industry satire if you ask me. Those "product placement" gags are inspired. Goldmember was the best in the trilogy. The first was a good start, the second was largely a repitition of the first, the 3rd has less Fat Bastard, which kind of says it all. And PPG is a delilerously trippy example of kenetic U.S almost-anime, which is postmodern almost to the point or rediculousness.

Also added to the list for me is Loony Toons: Back In Action
    (proof - http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/43/down.htm), the potentially anti-capitalist sentiments of which are overlooked, so it's radically frantic structure. Technically, it's a bad film, but it's the best kind of bad.

Also D.E.B.S. which would appear, to my untrained eye anyway, to be a great piece of feminist camp, i suppose, which dismantles the mechanisations of the Hollywood action film behind-the-scenes, as you are watching.

I love crap movies. I'm convinced there's more to them than people tend to think.

14. lankymidget

lankymidget Worlds Tallest Dwarf

Kolobos..

And why does the most interesting and prettiest person in the film get killed first?

15. MaryJane69

MaryJane69 Member

I am far too tired to come up with my own but I fully agree, Equilibrium, Adaptation and Pumpkin were underrated.

And I LIKED Starship Troopers!!!!!!!!!

16. minkajane

minkajane Member

Flesh and Blood. I absolutely love that movie and I thought it was a very well-done piece on the brutality of not only the life of a mercinary, but of love.

Princess Caraboo. A great story of the most elaborate, widespread deception ever.

That's all I can think of for now.

17. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Something Witty

Primer. Check it out guys.

18. lankymidget

lankymidget Worlds Tallest Dwarf

I liked Primer...

Also, I don't think The Buddy Factor AKA Swimming with Sharks got the recognition it deserved..

19. FerdinandTheImposter

FerdinandTheImposter Member

i think that alot of people overlook the brillance of wes andersons movies the see it once and all the little joke go over their heads and the end up thinking wes is trying to make comedies when he is not funny.
    So for my list : bottle rockets
    Rushmore
    The royal tenenbaums
    the life aquatics

20. Pavele

Pavele Member

"A Bronx Tale" and "The Game"