Burning Man/ Local Burns and Black Rock City

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by drumminmama, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

2. thespeez

thespeez Member

I've heard about an offshoot of Burning Man which took place in Delaware. Does anyone know about this group?

3. hoopman

hoopman Member

:) HOOPALICHUSH....

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

depends on what you want out of it.
    a burn can be crazy in a good sense: connecting with artists and discovering new ways of looking at the world, or you can go looking for trivial shite like scoring some awesome nugs, dude & you will waste your time. (not to say the drugs aren't good, merely perephrial.)
    Some people need it as a once in a lifetime experience and others need to recharge their batteries every year.
    I like the smaller, regional burns that the others take as dress rehersal.
    I have some personal concerns ecologically with so many people being on the Playa with it's fragile ecosystem.
    I also remember the Girls Gone Wild case where the company filmed a bunch of burners, placed it out of context for their smut, and sold the tapes. THey got sued and the owners of BM won.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

oh and speez, pop over to Tribe.net and look on the burner tribes to see about local events. then let us know!

6. erossnj

erossnj Member

I'm probably going to Burningman from NC. I've never been but it sounds like it's totally worth it. Maybe I'll see you there.

7. death4rebirth

death4rebirth Member

Like mama says its all in what you make it. It is a place to go to relieve yourself of all societal influence. Somewhere that you can just be. It is true that it is quite expensive to go, especially all the way from ohio, but i think it is worth it. If you do go do so with and open heart and open mind and you should at least enjoy yourself, if not find yourself. i did.

8. death4rebirth

death4rebirth Member

There always seems to be a couple of people who get too drunk and fall off of a bus and get run over or fall off of a large structure. It's an unfortunate side effect of there being so many people in one place for a week. You assume the risks when you go and all you can do is "do no harm" and hope no one dies or gets hurt. On another note I think that burning man is an amazing event that in the right context can help a person expand thier being and find themselves. I first went as a 18yr. old boy whose views on life were very closed and limited. It really helped to open my eyes to the possibilities of life and to realize that there is a facet of life that exists beyond the phisical. This year will be my fifth and I cant contain myself. I can taste the playa on my tounge and feel it caked in my hair. yay!! cant wait. ill see you all there

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

9. bigdbram

bigdbram Member

synergy is utahs local burn its coming soon too only 3 weeks

10. jango

jango Member

sorry to afend anyone i have no ida what the burnning man festavil is can some one explan???

11. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I copied the following from the official Burning Man web site. Basically, it's a free-form art installment and encampment held in the desert culminating in the burning of a large effigy of a man.

What is Burning Man?
    By Molly Steenson

Hurtling down the road to the Black Rock Desert, the colors paint themselves like a spice cabinet — sage, dust, slate gray. Maybe you're in your trusty car, the one that takes you to and from work every day. Perhaps you've got a spacious RV, your Motel 6 on wheels for the next days in the desert. Or you're driving your glittering art car, complete with poker chips and mirroring to do a disco ball proud.

The two-lane highway turns off onto a new road. You drive slowly onto the playa, the 400 square mile expanse known as the Black Rock Desert. And there you've touched the terrain of what feels like another planet. You're at the end — and the beginning — of your journey to Burning Man.

You belong here and you participate. You're not the weirdest kid in the classroom — there's always somebody there who's thought up something you never even considered. You're there to breathe art. Imagine an ice sculpture emitting glacial music — in the desert. Imagine the man, greeting you, neon and benevolence, watching over the community. You're here to build a community that needs you and relies on you.

You're here to survive. What happens to your brain and body when exposed to 107 degree heat, moisture wicking off your body and dehydrating you within minutes? You know and watch yourself. You drink water constantly and piss clear. You'll want to reconsider drinking that alcohol (or taking those other substances) you brought with you — the mind-altering experience of Burning Man is its own drug. You slather yourself in sunblock before the sun's rays turn up full blast. You bring enough food, water, and shelter because the elements of the new planet are harsh, and you will find no vending.

You're here to create. Since nobody at Burning Man is a spectator, you're here to build your own new world. You've built an egg for shelter, a suit made of light sticks, a car that looks like a shark's fin. You've covered yourself in silver, you're wearing a straw hat and a string of pearls, or maybe a skirt for the first time. You're broadcasting Radio Free Burning Man — or another radio station.

You're here to experience. Ride your bike in the expanse of nothingness with your eyes closed. Meet the theme camp — enjoy Irrational Geographic, relax at Bianca's Smut Shack and eat a grilled cheese sandwich. Find your love and understand each other as you walk slowly under a parasol. Wander under the veils of dust at night on the playa.

You're here to celebrate. On Saturday night, we'll burn the Man. As the procession starts, the circle forms, and the man ignites, you experience something personal, something new to yourself, something you've never felt before. It's an epiphany, it's primal, it's newborn. And it's completely individual.

You'll leave as you came. When you depart from Burning Man, you leave no trace. Everything you built, you dismantle. The waste you make and the objects you consume leave with you. Volunteers will stay for weeks to return the Black Rock Desert to its pristine condition.

But you'll take the world you built with you. When you drive back down the dusty roads toward home, you slowly reintegrate to the world you came from. You feel in tune with the other dust-covered vehicles that shared the same community. Over time, vivid images still dance in your brain, floating back to you when the weather changes. The Burning Man community, whether your friends, your new acquaintances, or the Burning Man project, embraces you. At the end, though your journey to and from Burning Man are finished, you embark on a different journey — forever. [​IMG]

12. NatureBoy93

NatureBoy93 Member

I wish a could go.

13. SALiX

SALiX Member

i cant wait to next year

14. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

15. Tok_UR

Tok_UR Member

can u guys just help me get some things straight, u need a ticket, right? anybody wanna share their ride, i can porobably throw in money for gas...let me know if anybody is heading out from the new york area, pm me okay...

16. Salivrah

Salivrah Member

Heya

I wanted to ask if there are any events in europe, no matter where, i think i would travel there.

Peace Salivrah

17. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Tok_UR - Yeah you need a ticket but the only ones avalible are the $295 ones but they do have a low income ticket which you have to apply for and that is $145. See link Burningman Project.

Salivrah - There are some burning man like events in Europe. Check out this link EuroBurningman.

I plan on going for the first time this year, I just hope it doesn't conflict with school to much since it's at the end of august. If you want to know more are the even't LOOK.

18. aliced

aliced Dude Guy

19. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Duuude, chill!

20. scatteredleaves

scatteredleaves Smelly Hobo

i went to a local burn called recompression last weekend :D
    it was at the camp i work at so i got to go for free. its was such an awesome experience!