North Bay

Discussion in 'Canada' started by *electrica*, Jun 17, 2004.

1. *electrica*

*electrica* Member

Could it be possible that there is anyone on here from the North Bay, Ontario area? I'm thinking it's very unlikely. Prove me wrong, folks.

2. dreama

dreama Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was born there oh so many moons ago, and lived the first 5 years of my life there. Other than a trip back when I was 7, I have not been there since. sorry!

3. Airinhead

Airinhead Member

My really good friend is living right outside of North Bay in Cochrane.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I used to date a guy who was from North Bay. He's back there again, so I've heard, but you don't want to meet him. (Abusive alcoholic that doesn't like to work)

5. *electrica*

*electrica* Member

lol oh yeah? I know some guys like that? What's his name? lol

jk

6. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

I was orginally planning on going to canadore college, but i decided to change plans and go somewhere closer to home.

I visted the college last year so as north bay, it rally has that northern ontario charm to it.

Nice place thought, the people at canadore are vary helpful and freindly.

But, i'm use to living in big populated area like the GTA, so i never rally adjusted there.

7. Softee

Softee Member

I live in North Bay, it's definitely a cool little city. Lots of Artists, musicians etc. There's a large student population with the city being home to Nipissing University and Canadore College. Check out this neat list of things that make North Bay the hippest town in Northern Ontario, and surely one of the coolest little cities in the whole province IMO:

A major performing arts centre (Capital Centre) with a full season of shows of all types.
    A local symphony orchestra.
    A summer art festival (Exposure).
    The All Canadian Film Festival.
    The Canada Day downtown music festival.
    The Phantom Power audio/video media festival.
    A Blues Festival.
    Professional summer theatre (Nipissing stage Company) and 3-4 other amatuer theatre troupes.
    A well known summer art school (Artsperience).
    Several dance academies.
    Regular alternative film screenings (NB Film Club).
    Brava music school.
    The Heritage Festival.
    Half a dozen recording studios.
    ReelNorth Films (a local motion picture production company).
    Basementfire, Organ Grinder Productions, Littlesister Productions, The Death Company, Shocknova Records, Abhore Records, Northern Darkness Records, One Hundred George's Music, Plaque Productions (local production companies/record labels).
    5 record/cd stores--3 of which are independent downtown stores.
    Mudshark Movies.
    A dozen bookshops.
    5 art supply stores (4 of them downtown).
    Many art galleries.
    Many published authors.
    Regular literary/poetry readings.
    A local publishing company (Catchfire Press).
    Jazz and blues at 100 Georges/King Henry's/Chombolly's.
    The new North Bay Entertainers Hall of Fame.
    An amazing and diverse underground music scene which is featured in the website http://www.peanut-tree.com.
    Angus Magazine.
    Hoodwink Magazine.
    Many local social groups/organizations hosting public events-- such as for the gay community, the North Bay Peace Alliance, the astronomy club, and the North Bay S&M leather society to name a few.
    There are local restaurants serving Italian, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, East Indian, Mexican, European and Asian Fusion etc.
    Lots of unique downtown shops ranging from toy stores to imported exotic wares to gothic clothing.
    Several tattoo/body piercing parlors.
    Lots of head shops.
    Selected by TVO's "Studio Two" program as one one of Ontario's top 3 most artistically talented communities.
    A fictionalized version of North Bay is the setting of a series of highly acclaimed, brutal murder mysteries written by NB raised author Giles Blunt.
    Home town of Jaymze Bee -- the King of the Cocktail!
    Scott Thompson was born here!
    Michael J. Fox lived here!
    Lynn Johnston lives here!
    North Bay has produced a well above average number of highly regarded and well known musicians, actors, writers, artists, and oddball eccentrics! (Troy Hurtubise anyone?)
    North Bay has it's very own group on MySpace!
    North Bay lies between two lakes -- with a huge, warm and shallow lake on one side (L. Nipissing), and a smaller, cold and deep lake on the other side (Trout L.).
    Lake Nipissing's shoreline features a fantastically beautiful waterfront park/marina, as well as many beaches, with several of them right near the downtown core.
    There are lots of swimming, boating, and fishing opportunities (if you're into that sort of thing).
    There is a network of paved Bicycle paths that criss-cross the city complete with bridges and tunnels to minimize contact with car traffic.
    There is a pretty big ski hill right in the city with all of the expected bells and whistles.
    There's an indoor skatepark and 4 skate/snow board shops in town for the "boarding" crowd.
    Great hiking and mountain biking trails and supplies (a really good bike shop).
    A nature preserve near the heart of the city (Laurier Woods).
    And of course -- it's home to Nipissing University and Canadore College (lectures, guest speakers, concerts, campus events and clubs)

BTW, to the above poster who said that the town of Cochrane was "right outside of North Bay" -- just for the record, Cochrane is actually a 4 hour drive North of North Bay. The GTA is a 3 hour drive due South of North Bay.

If anyone is interested, the following link will lead to a photo-tour of North Bay (lots of pics!) that i made last summer:
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=130913

8. *electrica*

*electrica* Member

Yes, I'm aware that you live here, Old Bob Dylan.

9. Softee

Softee Member

Hey *electrica*, i didn't realize who you were when i made my first ever post here in this thread, but after i came across some of your other posts, i figured it out.

10. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

I might be going to Canadore this fall, Its a beautiful city. I live about 3 hours north of there.

11. PhOeNiX_fIrE

PhOeNiX_fIrE Member

My aunt and uncle live there. I used to live there all summer every summer till I was about 13 or 14. Me and my boyfriend might be going there this summer to stay at my uncle's cottage on..... trout lake I think. They got some sweet cliff jumping there.

12. Softee

Softee Member

^ So you're in Winlaw? Have you seen any copies of a weird magazine called Angus around town? For some reason it was being distributed in Winlaw even though it's based out of the North Bay area.

13. Primer

Primer Member

I use to live @ CFB North Bay back in the day/live in Ottawa now

14. Softee

Softee Member

There's been speculation recently about the possibility that CFB North Bay might be recommended for closure in the near future. It's already been downsized to a fraction of its former size, but the Feds just spent $25 million constructing a new above-ground facilty for NORAD at the base, so it would seem pretty crazy to close it now.

15. M2D

M2D Member

north bay is lovley even though i havent been there for more than about 20 min

16. ottawa6543

ottawa6543 Guest

I too grew up in North Bay, i now live in ottawa but go many times a year to visite them. :)

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I don't live there but I've been there

I love that there is so many public access beaches so near the downtown

[​IMG]

18. ZenStateOfMind

ZenStateOfMind Member

Lived in the bay for 5 years. It's not the worst city, lol.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

can anyone confirm if the boat launch at the end of Champlain park road /Premier road is free public access?...or do you have to pay

http://goo.gl/maps/0oFj2

20. N.L.Baron

N.L.Baron Member

I drive through North Bay every couple of weeks. Always wanted to spend more time there.