the don'ts of hiking or campig

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by dirtybongwater, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

You can never bring too much water to the desert.

Experiment at home with dehydrated recipes. You never know what culinary delight you can come up with for your trips. Always write those good ones down! :H

Premeasure as much of your ingredients as possible and put them in extra strong ziplock bags. Premeasuring saves you time and hassle when you're tired and ready to eat. Putting the ingredients in a strong ziplock bag keeps the trash down and you can reuse the ziplock bag for other things, like packing out other trash. :cool:

Share meals with friends. It saves fuel and brings you all closer together. Everyone appreciates a good meal at the end of a long hike.

I used to always bring too much food. One extra snack is good, but more will just weigh you down if you're backpacking.

2. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

You can bring ...

• hard cheese
      • keeps for a couple of days, depending on the weather;
    • milk
      • so long as it's dry/instant milk
      • I don't drink it, I add it to recipes that require milk

3. TokeTrip

TokeTrip Senior Member

I usually camp for a week+, and as to milk, i meant liquid milk. I certainly agree with bring instant milk (I need my cereal).

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

When in porcupine country don't leave your boots outside of the tent.
    The porkers will eat them for the salt from your sweat.

5. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Kitchen matches (the kind you can strike anywhere) wrapped in yarn and dipped in parafin or melted candlewax make an excellent, waterproof firestarter and will fire even in the rain. And you can fit 20 of them in an empty film canister if you cut them down a bit first.

A food dehydrator and vacuum sealer will cost you about $150 up front (cheaper at the thrift stores and I see them all the time) but you can dehydrate and vacuum pack almost ANYTHING for packing, and if you usually buy the crap at REI it will pay for itself in less than 6 trips.

An 8x8 poly blue tarp is invaluable and weighs less than a pound. It makes a great tent fly if you tear yours or can be folded and staked into a tent, an extra ground cloth, a dry area after a storm and is high visibility in case you NEED to be found.

6. FlyingBurritoBro

FlyingBurritoBro Sing Me Back Home

Filter/ treat/ or boil your water. ALL your water. "Take a chance...Shit your pants!"

7. FallenDreamer

FallenDreamer Member

Water, first aid kit, extra socks, hair ties, compass (If u know what ur doing), map of the area (if u get lost easily), bandana (sp?), fem. supplies, matches and a buddy. NEVER go anywhere without that stuff, u'll be so greatful later. ANYTHING can happen!

P.S. I'm going camping this weekend and will be sure to apply as much as I can to this trip. GREAT ADVICE EVERYBODY!

8. Wetbikerider

Wetbikerider Member

Honda 4x4 atv .

9. DaveHT

DaveHT Member

When canoeing tie all your gear to the canoe. Everything, everytime. If you capsize you won't be in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a canoe. Also make sure to wear a lifejacket.

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Steel and flint are the best saveguard method to start a fire in an emergency. Wet doesn't hurt them.

11. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

if you dont have sand anchors while campin on a beach....sleep without a tent.

12. guy

guy Senior Member

a small roll of sticky pvc plastic tape can come in handy (electrical tape). can be used to fasten loose stuff, seal leaky stuff up million uses and its cheap.

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I love that remark. :)

14. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

Take a mylar blanket. It's small, light, and works really well.

15. Make Mangoes Not War

Make Mangoes Not War Member

With fires, MAKE SURE you clear the surrounding area of things you could trip over, but if you wanna risk it, you will no longer be just another pretty face...DEFINETLY not another pretty face :p. Also, if you don't want lots of smoke coming off your fire, don't put leaves and grass on it! Seems pretty obvious but I just thought I'd add that. I was gonna say Space Blanket but after looking up what Therefore said I realised Mylar blankets are space blankets :p

16. lyla

lyla Member

if you feel the need for a pillow, bring a pillow case and put the clothes you'll be wearing for the trip in it. It works pretty well, and means a lot less bulk.

Don't ever go to sleep with wet socks on. That's just not right.

In cold weather - Put the clothes you'll be wearing the next day inside your sleeping bag... they'll be warmer when it comes time to change, which makes mornings infinitly better!

17. furball666

furball666 Member

would using a leather jacket be wrong? it gets heavyer when its raining but it's great protection from the rain and sun (though it gets hot but so what) if sun shines it gets dry fast. i dont think the colour suffers much i just cant make my self wear those horrible feeling adidas crappy synthetic materials just bring enough smokes and a sleeping bag

18. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

the coolest advice of all: DONT WORRY ABOUT IT TOO MUCH. honestly camping is like the most relaxing thing in the world so really there is no reason in the world to totally freak out. bring bread and water, chapstick, a good tent and sleeping bag, and your free spirit. :)