What is better being homeschooled or public school?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by TokeMEup420, Aug 6, 2005.

1. TokeMEup420

TokeMEup420 Member

what is better? I've never been homeschooled but is it where you can like play video games or what do they do send you videos? books? I'm in public school but always wondered if homeschooled would be fun.

2. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

I know nothing else other than public school, so i really cant say whats better. I was in public school my whole life and i think i'm fine education wise.

3. happyhippiegrl

happyhippiegrl Member

I've been both homeschooled and gone to public school. Home schooling didn't work with me cuz I was a rebel and didn't listen to my mom at all or do anything related to school, so I basiclly dropped out. Public school was alright when I'd show up for class.

4. pansy

pansy Member

5. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Public school. My mom homeschooled me as a supplement to public school when I was younger, but by the time I was 9 or 10 the most my parents could do was shove books in my face to read because I had gone through all their knowledge. Public school works for me. I've had amazing teachers, amazing classes, and a much better education than any home schooling or self schooling program ever could have given me. Public school may not work for some people, but my theory is if you go into it with a good attitude and supportive parents, then you won't have much of a problem.

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I don't get this. Your parents had no more than a 5th grade education? Most homeschoolers, who really want to do it, learn some things along with their children.

I've heard of children outgrowing their parent's homeschooling in High School, but even a very intelligent 9 year old would not be over her parent's heads. Unless they have given up. I don't get your point? Is it that your parents didn't bother to learn more? Or that they were educationally challenged themselves?

7. squeaky.surrealist

squeaky.surrealist Member

public schools

8. squeaky.surrealist

squeaky.surrealist Member

public school is what id vote for...coz it jus brings u far more closer to the harsh reality of the world around. Helps u meet ppl frm all walks of life..and makes u bold enough to make yur own decisions[even if that means u were a wannabe teenagers..coz hell u chose to be one!]. Its not just the book education but also the social education u gain in a public school. Even if they cause an absolute trauma in ur teenage days..as someone mentioned before... they make u strongewr..and far more superior in ur dealings with such ppl who fukedur life in school... later on in life!

9. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I wanted to learn about science and math, while my parents were both humanities majors in college (sociology and political science). Since I was in school, they didn't go to any great lengths to go beyond their own knowledge. My parents were the type of kids who slacked off in math and science because they hated it so really all they could do for me was buy me a microscope and some books on maths and sciences and hope I did well with it.

At the age of 10, I tested on a 12th grade reading level and an 11th grade math level by my school system's testing. My mom had been a teacher so she used all her workbooks on me so I could multiply and divide before kindergarten started. It's not that my parents were stupid, it's just my interests were different from theirs and while they taught me the world about literature, history, philosophy, and politics, they were kind of floundering in terms of maths and sciences. I wanted to learn advanced algebra functions and my parents simply didn't remember how to do it.

10. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

If this is how public schools are teaching kids to write, I'm voting for homeschool!!! :H

11. Shampoo

Shampoo Banned

it depends on what you mean by "better" better for the kids self esteem, education, preparing them for "the real world", etc.

12. Cold_Phusion85

Cold_Phusion85 Member

I always wanted to try homeschooling but my school days are over besides college now.

13. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Same here :)

Hmm OK yeah this will be a rant....

I utterly hated school, just kept my head down and survived it. Seem to have repressed most of it. Those better not have been the best days of my life or I'll just end it all now.
    I point blank refuse to believe that being angry, alienated, having self esteem and independance ripped to shreds was some how beneficial (well my theraphist made a tidy profit) or some 'rite of passage'.

Don't think I leant anything of use that couldn't have been figured out with a good acedemic plan and being out there actually living. Though have always thought I'd be good in homeschooling, what with my serious motivational problem. Then realise I wasn't motivated because the stuff was so boring and pointless. (fact; the average person doesn't use any of the mathematical skills taught after year 9/tenth grade). The things I liked will serve me well in future, the rest falls at the wayside. Such is life, but it'd be kinder to spare the agony.

Always makes me laugh when people say school prepares you for real life. Homeschooling is real life, it's how you learn as a preschooler and how you learn after graduating. Why pray tell is there an eleven year period when this doesn't work?

School is the furthest thing from real life. Those who are truly inspiration and make a diffrence do so by thinking outside the box. Which doesn't happen when you're (as Pink Floyd put it so well) just 'another brick in the wall'.

Of course I'm still in the system. Feel a bit of a hypocrite for that, but I want a degree damn it. Bit late to back out now anyway.
    My future children will be homeschooled, or at the very least an independant schooling. (like Steiner or Montessori)

Obviously I appreciate this isn't the experience of everyone, heck some people even enjoy it. But hey they can make their own posts.

14. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

So how many public schools let a 10 year old do 11th grade math? Seems to me that a 10 yr old would get pretty bored if they were forced to do 4th grade math when they had the ability to do much higher math.

I have worked in hospitals, nursing homes, daycares,fast food places & even been a substitute teacher in elementary schools and have never needed to do algebra equations for work.
    I got my GED a couple months after my second child was born and have only had to show the piece of paper & "prove" I had it to 1 boss before getting the job.

While I was in public school yrs ago, I hated history. Today I love learning about the civil war era & geography. My ex got a BA in sociology (with 2 minors..spanish & history) so the yrs that we homeschooled some of our kids, they usually went to him for history....even now they will still have long discussions about history & and any political issue they hear on TV.

Being an adult doesn't mean you can't homeschool yourself. There are lots of distant learing programs for adults online or through some type of correspondence class.

15. Hipmoon

Hipmoon Member

It depends on the person who is being schooled. Everyone is different. Some people fair better in a group structure, while others fair better in a home environment and slower pace.

The nice thing about homeschool is that you have control over what you want to learn, where as in public school there is a system and guidelines that teachers have to follow.

So in the end, I think it comes down to what an individual wants to do and how they want to do it.

16. scarlett

scarlett Member

I have been both homeschooled and went to a public school. In my experience I found that I learned and did better work when I homeschooled but when you homeschool you miss out on friends and school activites. You aren't in all of the social situations, you know? But I started homeschooling because I started having horrible panic attacks and horrible depression! What you will learn when you stop going to public school is that all of the things you thought were so important..weren't. When you stop going you actually get into the real world..and you get a taste of it outside of the school world. Because even when you aren't AT school.. you really aren't. Know what I mean? School stuff follows you everywhere!

17. Green

Green Iconoclastic

Its exactilly like prison, except you get to leave it to go home, do homework, and sleep.

18. LadyLuna

LadyLuna Member

lol thats funny and SOOOO TRUE :)

19. hawkrider

hawkrider Member

i think home schooling is better in away becaues you can work at your own paste but then agine you can't make as many friends

20. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

My daughter plays with the neighbor kids EVERY DAY. I have to go out and practically drag her in at night.
    Plus, our unschooling group meets weekly.
    Yesterday, there were approximately 30 kids there. Age ranges were between 5 months and 16 years old. Male and female. My 6 year old interacted/played with each and every one of them, not to mention the adults.

How's that for making friends?