Zornia Latifolia (Maconha Brava)

Discussion in 'Exotic Psychedelic Plants' started by Coupon, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Coupon

Coupon Member

Zornia is a fairly new plant on the alternative substances market. It is a really easy to grow flower. The literature behind it is pretty much non-existant with the exception of the use in Mexican indian culture and tradition. It is often called food of the gods or wild weed. Throughout the internet it is said that Zornia was used by the mexican indians as a substitute for cannabis. I am going to disagree because I think it wasn't used as a substitute at all but instead as a true entheogen.

I received 10 grams of Zornia Latifolia grown locally. It was very stemmy! Was a bit upset at the actual amount of stems so I just said "f#%k it" and threw it all into a coffee grinder. A few seconds later I had a fluff of Zornia :)

It smells great and so I took a small amount and placed it into a pipe... lit it. The smoke is not bad at all! It is actually one of the few things that doesn't make me cough. It has nearly no taste. Not bitter, not sweet... Now for the good part.

The effects take about 10 minutes to kick in. It starts out like a kind of cannabis high... but slightly different. Then it just takes off! I smoked around 100mg of dried & chopped Zornia and I was absolutely STONED for nearly 5 hours. I fell asleep still feeling the effects.

The effects are weird. It is so similar to cannabis, but different. It almost feels like a mix of cannaboids with a slight MAOI effect??? No nausea. Slight tension in the head but I felt that was almost a healing thing as I have had a shit year. It almost felt like the substance was digging into me and making my physical illnesses "relax". So I kind of want to say that the substance didn't make my head tense but just brought to awareness the tension that was already there. The difference was that I could think clearly and easily! Some cannaboids just make me stupid while stoned... in the sense that I will just sit and stare not thinking at all. This was very introspective.

Hallucinations were not huge. But I don't hallucinate easily. It was there though. It seemed more like the eyes couldn't focus... like they were jittery. I also took a look in the mirror and wow! I have NEVER seen my eyes so blood shot and red. I actually got worried that I blew a blood vessel because you hardly could see no white. But the worry receded the next morning when they were back to normal.

After effects is a slight headache. Not 100% sure if this was the Zornia or just something else. I've seen other reports of a head ache though... which makes me think about Zornia having MAOI properties even more.

Anyways, who else has experienced this??? I would have to say that this would make an amazing base for sythetic cannaboids! Even though they wouldn't be needed honestly. I would also be interested to hear if others have used Zornia in changa (DMT & herb) and if the effects of the DMT when smoked are potentiated and extended. If the Zornia does have MAOI effects, then it should? Plus the Zornia seems to kick in fully right at the time a DMT adventure is coming back to reality... so an afterglow of DMT with the Zornia comeup might be quite amazing? :love:

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I saw it on erowid, altho I forget exactly WHICH semi-toxic mexican plant it is :p

But yeah, there's a bunch of sketchy unknown central american, asian, and african plants that do sketchy things and kill unknown numbers of brain cells. I wouldn't make a habit of it, and at least document your experiances and any after effects, their nature and duration, etc, write it up for us and erowid to help grow the knowledge base about the safety of this stuff. And if you hurt yourself, don't let it be in vein, let us know if it's dangerous, etc.

Also, synthetic cannabinoids are for bitches, especially when smoked on a "base" :D

Don't you dare pollute a worthwhile drug or plant with that toxic crap.

3. HenriMoissan

HenriMoissan Guest

I would greatly appreciate it if you and anyone else who has experienced Z. latifolia could answer these quick questions.

Did you experience any of the following;
    - Tired/drained or lacking of energy
    - Dry mouth or reduced saliva formation
    - Notable +/- of heart rate
    - Notable +/- of body temperature (or perceived)
    - Sensitivity to light
    - Notice dilation/contraction of pupils
    - Blurred vision
    - Disconnection/dissociation from reality or depersonalization/realization

Lastly would you mind elaborating on the hallucinations you experienced? Were they vivid/realistic, geometrical, fuzzy/blurry, cartoon-like, or other?

Kind regards,
    H.M

4. bobeGekl

bobeGekl Guest

hey, this really sounds like an herb that is actually worthwhile!

5. alpha_centauri

alpha_centauri Members

I read about this herb on erowid, someone supposedly bought some, smoked it, and said how basically nothing happened. I wonder if it would be more effective if you made a hot decoction with it and drank it?

6. Coz the Shroom

Coz the Shroom Members

What I read was that drinking the tea in amounts too large to smoke was a stronger experience. I also found it very stemmy, but unlike Coupon I found the smoke terribly nasty and harsh. I smoked as much as I could stand and it did nothing. When researching its use as a tea I found that the dose required was pretty much equal to the entire shipment. At that point I decided it wasn't worth it-- If I liked it, I would have to order ridiculous amounts . Didn't want to go broke only to be dissapointed, either so ultimately I just left it in a bag gathering moss. I had enough to TRY the tea, so I should have. I know where it is, I could try it but this was like 10, 12, or 13years ago, so if it does nothing I won't know if its just bunk or lost all potency. I notice the OP said it's easy to grow and I happen to live in the part of Northern Chihuahhua that falls within the United States (New Mexico) so you know, if this shit is still potent and turns out to be good, growing might be the thing to offset the cost.