Zoloft and Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Mrs.Krinkle, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mrs.Krinkle

Mrs.Krinkle Banned

Ive always been on a little bit of the chubby side. But I also have depression. Ive switched medications and finally found one I like. Im taking Zoloft now, and I feel fine emotionally. But Ive gained so much weight, in only 3 months. It sucks, a lot. I want to lose it, but I keep hearing its like impossible while taking zoloft. Is this true? Does anyone know any certain ways or diets that can help me lose weight? This sucks... I want to be happy. But I want to be thin. :(

2. edenfield

edenfield Member

hey what if fat people and depressed people were craved for...

but anyway,,,,you dont want to be thin and happy you merley want to be healthy and well. sticking a plaster on a wound dont heal the wound as u have found out. so what now? a new type of plaster, or a listening to the wound so that u can heal it?
    you/your body speaks to u and u do hear it. sit in silence for a few minutes and write/or draw down the first things that pop in your head.
    thinking about it first,,, just creates worry....so relax, and just clear your head with breathing a good few times,,,see what happens

3. myself

myself just me

I don't know. I guess Zoloft or any other medicine as a matter of fact has secondary effects depending on the individual. When I was prescribed Zoloft, it made me wake up in the morning terribly sleepy and I was in a sleep-like state all through the day. No effect on my weight. Maybe you should try another medicine, you might also try a treatment with natural remedies...

4. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Perhaps you could incorporate more physical activity in your life. I know I have gained weight from medication, but doing ten or so minutes of yoga in the morning and taking the stairs to my room and in class rooms instead of taking the elevator has made the weight gain negligible. Now I'm maintaining a healthy weight (finally!) Also, diet changes can also help. If you get hungry at night and normally eat a large bowl of ice cream, try eating a smaller bowl or better yet, have some cereal or fruit, something with less calories. My fiance has also gained weight, partially due to medication as well as diet choice. He always ate ice cream at night and now that he's switched to cereal, his weight is beginning to stabilize. I don't mean that you should count every calorie you consume, but be aware of empty calories. For example, having cheese and mayo on a sandwich adds 250 calories. One meal at McDonald's can equal the amount of calories one should eat all day!

Yes, medication can contribute to weight gain, but there are also things you can do to reduce the effects. These can be as simple as walking a half hour to using the stairs. If the medication is helping you, I don't see why you should switch to something else unless you try these things and nothing works. Work w/ a nutritionist or dietitian. Sometimes it requires some lifestyle changes that some people are not willing to try- what do you want to do?

Peace and love

5. greycells

greycells Member

The cynic in me is thinking...gee, a pharmaceutical product for depression that causes you to gain weight and thus have yet another reason to be depressed...and thus have a reason to keep taking their anti-depressant...hmmmm...

6. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Medications have warnings about weight gain if you read the side effects. It is not a secret that the pharmaceutical companies are trying to hide. I don't understand how this would be some sort of conspiracy- they aren't hiding the fact weight gain is a side effect and there are no secret documents or studies that are withheld from the public about weight gain.

Peace and love

7. greycells

greycells Member

Yeah, but huge corporations with virtually endless resources can choose to develop drugs with build in factors to keep people using pharmaceuticals. Personally, I think it's kind of naive to suppose a profit driven organization wouldn't do just that. They make more money that way. That is the purpose of their existence...not healing.

8. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I gained a few pounds after going on zoloft but nothing major. It seems to be more of a side effect for girls than guys.

Maybe its a physiological difference or maybe girls are just more naturally senstive about weight issues and tend to notice a bigger difference, but for me it wasn't a major gain. The girls I've talked to however always complain more of weight issues after taking it than guys.