Zero Tolerance

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by fountains of nay, Feb 14, 2007.

1. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Topshop tried to bring it over here and there has been a huge uproar about it following fashion week.

What are your opinions on the American size 0 (UK size 4)?

2. shedtroll

shedtroll Peace, Love & Linux

Size 0 culture is just wrong. It's not right that obscenely thin women should convince young girls to starve themselfs.

There are pro-annoexia websites witch encourage young people (of both sexes) to starve themselfs because that is what some supermodel is doing! Thin is not nessescarly beutiful.

3. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

no its wrong. when i was in 6th form i was wearing a size 6 skirt from miss selfridge and they have small sizes anyway, and it was too big on me. naturally i thought i looked great at the time - but of course i didnt. to encourage people to fit into a size below that is obscene!

and we all know designer labels are bigger than high street equivalents anyway!

4. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

i think it is SOOOO wrong. size 0 culture is just going to lead to more health problems. there needs to be a nice balance between super obese and anorexic thin ... can't people just be curvy and healthy? maybe even have a few extra pounds and not have the stigma attached with it?

it's also off that there is more of a stigma to being say 100 pounds overweight than there is to being 100 pounds underweight (which some people are). so it's fine if you are a walking skeleton but if your butt doesn't quite fit on the seat then you should be shunned and made to eat carrots to you turn orange. :)

oh and as far as designer labels I read an article (can't remember where) that said that designers are having a hard time keeping up with celebs and their weight loss ... they are having to make 00 and X,X,X,Smalls!

5. fountains of nay

I couldn't agree more. I find this new fashion to be extremely distasteful. Watching women who look like corpses stroll around the country. There have also been tests done and the effects on your health are dreadful.

If killing yourself slowly for fashion is "in"...then call the fashion police and have me arrested.

6. fountains of nay

Apparently there's going to be a tv programme showing the best ways to get to size 0. These shows should be banned!

7. trombonebleu

trombonebleu Insider

Personally, I find size 0 to be very unattractive, and don't care if that's the size that looks best for the clothes, or whatever it is they're claiming.

8. fountains of nay

It's sick. Just because America is doing it, doesn't mean we have to. We are not America.
    It's just more reasons for women to feel insecure and uncomfortable about their bodies.

9. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

what tv prog is it, interesting to watch just to see what it is they say

10. fountains of nay

I can't remember what it's called, saw the adverts for it..should be on this week or next. Soon anyway!

11. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

Hey sort of TV ish post ... but goes along with this topic ...

did you happen to see that Super Slim Me program tonight on BBC3?

It was really creepy to see what people go through to try to attain a size 0. Honestly the program made me want to go eat something!

I still wonder if there will come a time where there are more health problems associated with being too thin than there are with being obese (and i absolutely hate that word btw).

Proud to be a fat chick even more now after watching that show.

:jester:

12. Egg But No Bacon

Egg But No Bacon Member

i see size 0 wrong but if models of that size for example were banned wouldn't that just mean that anyone who naturally was size 0 would now be faced with the challenge of weight gain on the grounds that modelling agencies and people thought it was better? who's to say really?

13. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

hm, models are sewn into and pinned into the clothes they model anyway...and any shop manakin if you look, also has the clothes pinned to make them look like they fit nicely...but realisitically if they werent pinned, they would hang horibbly because the models and manakins are too think and wouldnt fill the garment

14. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Size zero or whatever is wrong, and i cant stand it when an illness is made to look normal and even good

BUT
    it also annoys me when people try calling ME anorexic. I am a size 8/10 and im 19. Im just very small boned and this is my NATURAL SIZE. I eat 3 meals a day plus snacks, and a balanced diet. So just because people are getting fatter doesnt mean im "anorexic", and just because the number of "anorexics" is increasing doesnt mean that is beautiful!
    Did that make sense?

15. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

yea it made sense. its ignorance though on the part of others in a similar way to one day last year i was walkin home from the busstop with bags of stuff, returning from a festival, dressed very brightly and got called a 'goth'. sometimes people seem to feel the need to insult even though they havent a clue what theyre talking about.

16. Ellie-Rose

Ellie-Rose Le Muppet

I'm a size 12 and I consider myself normal size.. I just can't imagine what a size 0/4 could look like.. If I got much skinnier I would hate it.. they must litterally be bones.. How the feck do they live

17. amazinggrace31

amazinggrace31 Member

I don’t think starving yourself to be a size 4 (the UK equivalent of size 0) is healthy but it’s ridiculously simplistic to suggest that people become anorexic just from looking at skinny celebs and models which a lot of people seem to think now with the media obsession.
    I don’t think there are many people who are 100lbs underweight as someone said, according to the BMA healthy weight charts I would have to be 7lbs to be 100lbs underweight so its not that likely.

18. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

amazinggrace, it may not be the initial trigger but i tell you it doesnt help. back when i was ill, i usedta compare myself to everyone,...i wanted to be thinner than this girl in my art class, and she is naturally very thin, she cant put weight on, but in my eyes i wanted to be thinner than her, i usedta look at the manakins in shop windows and think...they look good, thats what i wanna be like, so no, not as an initial trigger, but its unhealthy and encouraging to people with the illness.

on a different note, weds at 9pm i think on ITV louise redknapp is looking at the size 0 issue

19. fountains of nay

For all those interested:

Louise Redknapp is on TV on Monday showing the health implications etc of crash dieting to size 0. Now bearing in mind this woman is usually a size 8 (so, naturally tiny anyway) it will be worth watching.

20. trombonebleu

trombonebleu Insider

my brother-in-law's girlfriend is a size 8 (4 US) as well and about 5'1" maybe, and she's rail thin IMO...I don't physically understand 0...I once held up a pair of 0 trousers to my leg and I don't think I could get 1 leg in them...

definitely will be watching this...