Zen

Discussion in 'Introduction to Buddhism' started by shaman sun, Nov 23, 2007.

1. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Zen is from the school of Mahayana Buddhism. It originated in China around the 7th century. It's emphasis? Meditation, practice, zazen (quiet, open mind, just sitting). It invites the practitioner to try it out, not to take things based on faith. It invites you to experience, and thus can be considered an experiential form of buddhism first and foremost. The emphasis is thus less about studying sacred text, philosophy and theology, and more about a direct experience. The term "Zen" originates from a sanksrit word, Dhyana, which means the yoga, or practice of meditation.

Zazen, the essential practice of Zen, has two main schools. Both agree that if the mind is silent, one can observe their true nature and become enlightened, which is also called satori.

The typical form of meditation is:
    [​IMG]

Back straight, legs crossed in the half lotus (As shown above) full lotus (Both legs up), or kneeling. Hands are on the thighs or put together (as shown).

The hands are placed by the belly, as shown, in a "Mudra" or symbolic gesture. During meditation, one breathes from the "mudra," or the belly.

Meditation is usually performed in a zendo, or meditation hall. Differing forms, such as walking meditation (kinhin) are utilized. The practitioners traditionally sit on a matt called a "zabuton," or a cushion called a "zafu."

It is important to have the whole body relaxed yet alert and erect. The rest of the meditation varies, but the most basic form of meditation involves:

Being aware of the breath, aware of the body, aware of the mind. Often practitioners will count their breath, focusing on its inhalation and exhalation through the nose and mouth. If thoughts stray, attention is calmly brought back to the breath, and the counting either starts over or continues.

2. CloudFlower

CloudFlower Member

I currently have been doing upside down/headstand meditation I find it much more self revealing than either of the lotus positions

3. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

A few pictures of meditation halls and Zen art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zen Garden
    [​IMG]

4. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

CloudFlower, awesome. I would try it now if I didn't have a headache. :p

5. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Koans

Koans are short stories or phrases that seems to convey irrational or incomprehensible aspects, but are meant to convey transrational or intuitive meaning. It is, in short, meant to silence the mind so it listens, and perceives the hidden meaning behond the story.

The mind is always chattering, and the koan trips our busy minds over themselves, plunging them face to face with satori.

Koans may be focused on during meditation. Here are a few for you:

http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/zenindex.html

6. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Questions? Comments? Complaints? There is more to this lesson, so stay tuned!

7. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just like to add that other zazen sitting options (for people who are not flexible enough for lotus) are seiza (traditional Japanese sitting where the person sits on his/her feet while kneeling) and just sitting on a chair with feet flat on the floor.

8. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

I read in a Zen book about a Master killing a cat
    because none of the monks would say it was theirs.
    He said if they had claimed it he wouldn't have
    killed it. I guess they worried about admitting attattment
    or something. Anyway.....is this true or a type of koan?
    Wouldn't killing a living being be against Buddhist compassion?
    bb
    Delfynasa

9. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

Thanks for the meditation information. This
    answers my questions I put at the end of
    one of the other threads:)
    bb
    Delfynasa