Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by WallFlower69, Jan 22, 2012.

1. WallFlower69

WallFlower69 Member

I've heard a lot about this book but have never read it. I really want to read it however. Can anyone tell me what it's about? Is it as good as everyone says it is? Thanks :)
    Peacefully yours.
    .:daisy:

2. Jeabou

Jeabou Member

Contrary to what the title might imply, the book is neither (really) about Zen or motorcycle maintenance. The book follows real events in the life of the author, Robert M. Pirsig, from being submitted to electro-shock therapy for the treatment of his mental illness, to the recollection of events from his "previous" life, prior to that treatment.

It is deeply philosophical, Pirsig himself having been a lecturer in rhetoric. He explores areas of thought you may have never crossed before. The centrepiece of his ideas being "What is Quality?"

I won't give away too much, but it is a must read! It was the first book I read in 2013 and I wouldn't have started my year any other way.

Enjoy!

stormountainman and wrat1 like this.
  3. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

^ that's a perfect summary. It's very philosophical, and does touch upon both motorcycle maintenance and zen, and more importantly, how the two are/can/should be inextricably linked :)

the central question of the book is what is "quality"? Very abstract and wonderful

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

stormountainman likes this.
  5. Jeabou

Jeabou Member

Ah! I had no idea he had written about Phaedrus again! Have just added it to my Book Depository wish list!

6. Bouga

Bouga Member

It's a really great book, you can actually find it online for free as a college has it posted up. I read it a really long time ago, but some of the things really just stick with you. I found it to be philosophical in its own way and at times I couldn't help but relate to the author who was slowing having a breakdown.

7. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

eggzactly... an allegory. The motorcycle parts are just icing on the cake :)

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I had to read it in college. I was not impressed. Then, classic literature tends to bore me.

9. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

Never read it. Sounds interesting.

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

it was the first book my husband ever suggested to me, back when we were dating. an amazing book, a must read; it's very compelling and fascinating.

11. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

Thanks for this commentary. I've yet to pick this one up. I remember it was quite popular back when I was in high school.

I read Zen in the Art of Archery which I enjoyed.

MeAgain and granite45 like this.
  12. wrat1

wrat1 Members

It is a must read

13. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Aye it is a must read. I've reread it 5 times since me first go at 14. Such complex ideas.

MeAgain and stormountainman like this.
  14. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

It's about a motorcycle trip from Minnesota to Montana where a guy has his son riding with him in an underpowered motorcycle which requires maintaining along the way. The other guys in the voyage have more expensive and bigger bikes. During the trip, the narrator talks about the concept of quality. Robert Pirsig, who wrote the book, has another one titled LILA. You'll need an open mind and a desire for Philos to enjoy his work.

15. stormountainman

He did tune up his bike during the ride to Bozeman and contrasted it with the expensive big bikes his companions had.

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. stormountainman

I liked having that crazy woman on the boat during the ride down the Hudson.

~Zen~ likes this.
  17. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Guess I have to re-read and read anew!

18. stormountainman

Don't miss the part where Jamie, Fatso, and Lila talk about killing Phaedrus and tossing him overboard on the voyage to Florida.

19. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I liked them both....spent a lot of time along the route between Minnesota and Montana In the late 70s and 80s. Now live in view of our friendly neighborhood stratovolcano........Raineeeeeeer!