your wedding

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by kjhippielove88, Mar 24, 2005.

1. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

does anyone else ever think about their wedding? i have been thinking about my wedding dress for as long as i can remember. i pretty much know what i want. and everytime i hear a really romantic song i always say "oh thats gonna play at my wedding." i also think about themes, my bouquet, bridesmaid dresses, and the cake. i have always wanted to get married outside in either summer of fall when leaves are so colorful. is this weird or do some of you think about what you want your wedding to be like too? do u have any dress ideas or how big you want your wedding to be? for those of you who are married...did you wedding turn out how youve always wanted or was it better/worse? i just think weddings are beautiful.

2. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I always think about my wedding too.... and search for the perfect dress on websites, flowers, jewelary etc....

The hardest bit so far, however is finding that soulmate!!

3. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

Well, we were planning on getting married this June, but since he had a possible (which turned into definite) deployment coming up, we decided to go ahead with it in January. It WAS perfect. Everything fell right into place. My mom and I only had 1 week and a half to plan the Jan. wedding. Luckily, I already had my dress. My caterer, who we thought we'd have to do without since she was all booked up, had my wedding day open! If it hadn't been cold and pretty wet, we'd have done it at the lake behind my house as planned, but it was perfect where it was. And the best thing! We wanted a small, family and a close friends only, wedding anyway, but as we were planning for the June wedding, the list kept getting bigger and freaking me out! With such short notice, we had JUST who we wanted there. Just our family, and our best friends in the world. The only person I missed was my other best friend who lives in Hawaii. She couldn't make it. But hey, when hubby gets back home, we're going to honeymoon there :D.

And I was like you with the music ;). All through highschool I was saying "THAT'S playing at my wedding!" whenever I'd hear a beautiful love song. And I think I actually managed to fit most of them onto our playlist.

I LOVED planning my wedding :).

4. kjhippielove88

i agree

co0kiezgurl that sounds like a great wedding

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

The wedding plans my ex fiance and I had are written in my livejournal. They were composed of several different elements, ideas, cultural influences, etc.

6. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

7. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

Epiphany, I wandered over to your livejournal one day and took a gander at those plans, BEEEUTIFUL sounding! :). And so creative too :D.

Personally, my favorite parts were finding the dress, and planning the meal. We had fried chicken, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese (the right way ;), no instant crap lol), and a chocolate chocolate cake. And I remember reading everywhere that brides don't usually have time to eat...well screw that! All that good food was not going to be missing from my plate ;).

8. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Ever since I was little, I've known EXACTLY where I want to get married. It's a place in Massachusetts in a town called Ipswitch which is right on the beach. I've always loved costal New England towns (and have missed them ever since we moved to Georgia from Mass.) but this one also has my favorite beach: Crane's beach. Above the beach is this big wooded hill with a mansion that's now a public park, and the grounds are amazing. At one part of the grounds, it's this long mall type lawn down from the house with woods on either side, ending on a cliff looking over the ocean and Ipswitch. I want to get married there on the cliff under a chupa in September or October when the leaves are all gorgeous. Only problem is that might be kind of hard if it rains... Also would be expensive... But I do have a backup! In my hometown of Haverhill, Mass, the main park in the town has this huge hill at at the top of that is ANOTHER mansion called Winnekinne Castle. That would also be an awesome place to get married plus I think I could have the service inside if it rained. Either way... afterwards the reception would probably be back at the Haverhill Country Club because my grandpa is into all that Jewish mafia aristocracy stuff, and he would prolly pay for that (and they have the best fish ever).

My boyfriend and I have talked it over and since we truely believe we are soulmates (don't laugh.. we have a whole long, epic, fairytale romance) we've pretty much planned out all the little details of our wedding. We're writing our own vows, of course, since neither of us is religious. We want a ceremony of just close friends and family, but since we both have huge families and I've always had a ton of close friends, it could end up being big. Also, our families are both so broken between divorced parents and stepparents (on his side) and divorced grandparents and a ton of people not speaking to each other on my side that it might get interesting. But that's what makes it fun! The whole thing is also going to be a mix of Spanish, Portuguese, and Jewish cultures because I'm very much into anything Latin American and I've kind of made it my life's work, so it would reflect alot on me.

I also have a pretty good idea of what kind of dress I want- something poofy and girly and princess-looking, like this: [​IMG] Mooohaahaha. And a deep pink or cranberry color for bridesmaids dresses. Lots of stargazer lillies around too...

And for a honeymoon, depending on how much money we have, ranging from cheapest to most expensive: Disneyworld (I love it..), a 2 week or so road trip type thing through Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado hitting up all the deserts, road tripping around the UK, or road tripping through Spain (mainly Madrid, Granada, Toledo, Sevilla, and Cadiz is what I want to see). Basically, anywhere that I want to go, he'd be fine with. And since I love to travel and road trip, he's just along for the ride. ^_^

....I've really put too much thought into this, haven't I? :p

9. kjhippielove88

wow silverclover u have it all planned out. ive been to ipswitch a few times...very nice place.

10. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Yeah... that's what happens when you're in a long distance relationship where your parents won't let you see your boyfriend, or really leave the house period. You think about the future too much. :p

11. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I just know that I like this dress:

[​IMG]

Other than that, I don't really think about it much.

12. Amanda's Shadow

Amanda's Shadow Flower Child

I want a fancy big wedding.

13. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

umm... nope, haven't planned anything. Except that I don't want it in a christian, jewish or muslim religious building. I've had too many people from those faiths feel like they should convert me, makes me leery of 'em (not that there's anything wrong with being religious, just don't convince me that my beliefs are utterly wrong and yours are the only ones... /rant)

I'll try to not be a psychobride, I know that much. I'll probably choose a colour for the bridesmaid dresses, but leave the style up to them - few styles are flattering on every body shape after all. And I'd probably have them wear matching necklaces, because that would be cute. And I'd worry about the food being catered, since food is, well, a passion of mine.

I'm looking forward to my cousin's wedding next summer.... I'm the maid of honour so I get to help out with planning without it all being on me, and without me having to get married, hurrah!

14. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

If I were to get married someday, I think the wedding would be very..ummm... non-traditional. :p For example, I probably wouldn't have any bridesmaids, but two bestmen (coz my two best friends are both guys). :D I could force them to wear dresses though.. :D Haha. Also, I wouldn't want the wedding to be religious. And I would maybe want to get married on a beautiful beach in the moonlight under the stars.
    But in the end.. I wouldn't really care about the wedding that much. The only thing that would actually matter is the guy I'd be marrying.

15. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

Erik and I have talked about it, and while the issue of marraige is never brought up anymore (we're just too young to know this is what we want forever, we need to grow up a little bit more and I think the fact that we realize this is a great thing), we have talked about what kind of wedding we would have. It's going to be outside, maybe on a beach. I'm going to wear anything I want, and it probably won't be a traditional wedding dress. I don't want a traditional marraige why have the wedding like that? We'll have our close friends and family there and have a big backyard party for the reception. Fun. Not stiff and fancy because that's not who we are. For a honeymoon, I bet we would try and go back to Jamaica. We both love it there.

We used to talk about getting married and having a wedding all the time, but that was when we were still in hte honeymoon stage. *sigh* I love him a lot, but I have to confess, I miss that new relationship feeling.

16. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

My wedding was small and simple. We were married by a judge in front of our immediate family. Sometimes I think that so much is put into these huge weddings nowadays that they tend to forget the reason that they are even getting married. For love. :)

My husband and I were young at the time we married we had also just found out that we were expecting a little bundle of joy. We were getting ready to buy a house, and the thought of paying for a huge wedding when we had other things happening seemed unwise.

My husband and I have talked about renewing our vows in the future. Still, it will be simple, because that's what I want. I want to be barefoot out in the woods or a flower garden somewhere, wearing a long flowing dress with an empire waist and long flowing sleeves, and a wreath of white roses and lilacs in my hair, and I want our children right there beside us. :)

17. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

I agree Hippychickmommy, lots of people get so carried away with the wedding part and forget about the actual marriage part

18. Morna

Morna Member

i have never thought about it

19. Elle

Elle Senior Member

I've never thought about it growing up but I know that if I do get married someday all I want is a small ceremony on the beach or in a national park maybe....just barefoot with a non traditional dress....and no bridesmaids or anything....just close family & friends if they want to be there. No after party or anything. Even a court house would be fine........but I imagine that if I'm really in love I'll want the ceremony to be somewhere a little more scenic than a courtroom;) I've never liked the idea of a traditional wedding or a big wedding.....plus I don't think I could ever spend all that money on a wedding.....it would be a waste of money for me. I'd rather take the money and go to Africa like I've always wanted to!

20. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

My wedding was 19 years ago. I really don't think about it too much. I didn't think about weddings too much BEFORE I got married. Unlike my divorced freinds, who had their "dream wedding" planned, and gave more thought to their dress and their food and flowers than to the Relationship.

A nice, small, nonconspicuous celebration of love is a better harbringer of a lasting marriage than a huge, color coordinated, 5 star, 12 bridesmaid media event. IMO. Those are a divorce waiting to happen.

Bear and I planned our wedding in 6 weeks. (Baby on the way, and I needed to be on his insurance.) My dress cost $120.00. I had a little circle of flowers and a tiny webbing behind it. NOTHING over my face. I had one "maid." I just told her to pick out any dress she liked in any color she wanted, why should I choose her clothes? We got married at a 130 year old church in our town. The ministers were husband and wife, and were as sweet as could be. They were very excited about our baby, and they got pregnant a few weeks after our wedding. We had a family style dinner at a local resturant. We had a DJ (very gouche in those days, high class weddings always had bands.) and NO disco was allowed to be played, only stuff Bear and I liked.

We went to Lake Geneva for our Honeymoon. It was just 80 north of us, (so Bear could watch the Bears in the Play offs) and had a good time at a B&B and a small hotel with a pool.

Then we went home and started our married life, which we have been doing now for 19 years. It was nice, but barely a blip on the radar screen of our lives. Our love and our family is more important than ONE very expensive day in our marraige.