Your Successful Cig Quitting Stories

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Cosmo4, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Member

I hate cigs. I really do. But I'm addicted to them, and even though I always say I'm going to quit, I can't ever find the "right moment" and I always pick up another one.

If you've quit cigs, this is when I need your help.

How'd you do it, and when did you do it, give me all advice possible!

I want to be free of the bad cigs as soon as I can!

2. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

Smoke more weed?

3. BudBomb7

BudBomb7 Member

well man the basics of quitting is mental, the physical withdrawl lasts only a short time(im thinkin about 2 weeks) I started smoking in the begining of 8th grade and smoked a pack a day the whole year. I moved over the summer and didnt have anyone to buy me cigs so i was pretty much forced to quit. I started smoking again halfway through 9th grade because all my friends were smokers. Ive been on the patch and the gum and neither are really effective. I wouldnt recomend slowly cutting down because thats quite hard to do. I suggest just go cold turkey and when you started getting the urge to light up find something to occupy your hand or mouth. Ive always heard chew on baby carrots but i dunno to occupy your hand id suggest a pencil and jsut hold it until our craving starts to fade. dont let people smoke cigs around you because youll catch second hand and immediately geta craving. you just need the willpower and quitting is possible.

4. ki_raven_24f

ki_raven_24f Member

i have found the gum to be more effective after a couple of days cold turkey. i don't quite understand why, but my doctor recomended it to me. it has worked so far. i've been on the gum for 10 days now. it's different for everyone though.

5. irish151

irish151 Member

I had 2 quite for my track team. What you have to do is keep your mind busy. I did so by working out, it'll make u feel better, and will help build up your lungs again. Also, if u get really bad withdrawl, ive found that weed does help a lil. That doesnt mean u should bake ureself out retarded everyday. Use it sparangly (or however u normally use it).

If this doesnt work out for u, try it again, but just slowly cut down to less and less cigs, like instead of a pack a day, a 1/2 a pack a day, then a quarter pack a day...and so on and so on. I wish u the best of luck, cigs are a real bitch 2 cut out. Good luck!

6. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

Well, it won't work for everyone, but I used the ganja as a substitute.

I only REALLY craved a cigarette after eating, and so I'd smoke a bowl to settle my stomach.

Other than that, you have to REALLY want to stop.

Good luck!

humandraydel

7. balko

balko Member

Dude, I smoked since 6th grade to about 10th (this year...) and then I was like "Fuck this, it's stupid and I'm killing myself and there's not even a good ride to death." So I just stopped. Just like that. And now I don't smoke. It's easy if you try.

8. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

I've smoked ciggarettes before but I never really got anything out of it. There was a time where I had my cousin buy me a pack.. I got about halfway through it then threw it out the window when I realized how retarded nicotine was. I can't imagine what it would be like to be addicted to something and have quitting be the hardest thing to do, that's what I like about bud. I smoke it when I have money to blow on it, and when I don't have money to blow on it I'm just fine hanging out.

9. beachmonkey

beachmonkey Member

Quitting's never easy if you're one of those (like me) with a physical addiction--but you can do it. Here's how I did it, and I haven't had a cigarette in over five years (and I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day for fifteen years):

1. GET HELP. You're going to have withdrawal symptoms, so get used to the idea. Don't do it by yourself. If you have a friend who wants to quit, quit together. If not, tell everyone you know that you're quitting, so it won't be so easy to relapse.

2. Find a substitute for the smokes. Your hands need something to do besides hold a cigarette. I carried around a pen and paper and started writing again. Your mouth needs something to do too--I kept sugarless gum and toothpicks around.

3. Get help with the physical addiction aspect. You didn't get addicted overnight, and you won't get healed overnight. It's a lot easier if you only have to deal with one thing at a time, and if you go on the patch (my choice) or the gum, you'll have the cravings muted while your hands and mouth get used to not smoking. I know it sounds lame, but it's true. Some people complain about the patch being expensive, but cigarettes aren't exactly cheap anymore...and you won't be buying cigarettes, remember. Also, the patch gives you a reason not to smoke, because if you smoke with the patch on, you are at risk for nicotine poisoning.

4. Avoid the triggers that make you want to smoke. For me, coffee and alcohol made me want a cigarette, so I went off both of them. I eventually started drinking coffee again when I felt I could do it without wanting a cigarette. I never did start drinking again, and I don't miss it, but that's just me.

5. Remember that the patch or gum won't get rid of your cravings, just tone them down. You still have to want to quit, and your willpower comes into play here. Remind yourself of how good it will feel to not be a slave to the smokes. After a few days, your sense of smell and taste become more acute, and you'll have a tangible reason to not want to screw those up. You may also find that the opposite sex (or same sex, I don't know your preference) is more attracted to you when you don't smell like an ashtray, which is a Very Good Thing. :)

Good luck to you. It's not easy...but it may not be as hard as you think, if you do it the right way.

10. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

Great Post.

11. Tune_man420

Tune_man420 Member

try replacing cigs with weed sounds stupid right but a girl I work with tried it and it worked plus we went into the carwash and smoked a lot more than we usualy do I work at a gas station and I pretty much get paid to smoke weed and listen to bomb ass music. but best of luck my gf just kicked the habbit she wasn't hardcore addicted though

12. oleandermoonfyre

oleandermoonfyre Member

I quit on New Year's. I was standing on my balcony is the freezing snow, and I only had 2 cigarettes left. I just looked down and said, screw it, I don't feel like going and buying any more.....ever. I think you just have to reach a point of being too lazy or bored to continue, or just thorough exasperation. Knit, sew, make hemp, whatever to keep your hands busy. Get rid of all ashtrays, etc. Take Vitamin C (it helps flush the nicotine out). Also, eat cinnamon hard candies and drink unsweetened grapefruit or cranberry juice because those stimulate the same galnds in your mouth as smoking. Pray, meditate, do yoga, read the Bible, Torah, Koran, Book of Mormon or other sacred work, walk, etc. to make you realize that your body is a temple that you can never rebuild fully to 100% after its been destroyed or damaged. Play with your kids, if you have any. Whatever makes you want to take care of yourself and live a long long time. Hope this helps, it helped me.

13. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i only smoke them when im with people who smoke
    whenever im with them, theyll share ciggies with me, so i smoke heaps, but i make sure never to actually buy a pack, even if its for someone else, because i recon thatll be the end of me.

sometiems ill have some nicotine in my weed

but i guess i never feel like i need nicotine (well, soon after a smoking binge ends, but not striaght away)

14. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

though i do feel like i need weed