Your Reason For Doing Crafts

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Kastenfrosch, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

Everyone has his/her personal reasons for making the things they do, and I want to know why!

Mine are:

The first one is probably because I have always done so. As far as I remember, I have always made stuff. As I grew older, I learned more and more professional techniques, I even have a journeyman's degree in ceramics. I knit, and I sew, as I grew up between balls of wool (grandma and mother both have woolstores).

Now, my first motive to make things, is that I put a lot of love in the things I make, as opposed to things that were industrially produced. I am a student of fine arts/art education, but in the long run, I want to use my teaching degree to make money, and to maybe even open my own store to sell things, that are made with love. But this is my dream so far. I can sell my jewlery and pots from time to time in my mothers store.

Another motive is, that it is extremely satisfying feeling to make stuff from almost nothing. The biggest wonder for me is that of pottery: you have almost plain earth, and using your knowledge in a wide range of subjects, like chemistry and physics, your artistic feeling, and the ability to use your hands, you can make the most beautiful things. And it is always a miracle, to open the kiln after the seconds firing, it always feels like christmas. You put your things in, and they are all in grey and brownish tones, after the firing, they come out in all sorts of beautiful colors!

2. stonerblond74

stonerblond74 Member

For me, there's definately a feeling of pride when I look at a finished piece and think about how it came to be, from raw materials to finished product.

I also love to make craft items as gifts. People don't do that very much anymore. Wedding gifts are so impersonal, either simple cash or mass produced items from a registry. I love to see the look on someone's face when they recieve something I made with my hands, especially for them. It's so much more personal, and I feel like they appreciate it more. And for me, it's a bonus since a hommade crocheted blanket costs FAR less than something from say Macy's, and I'm quite poor.

Another reason I do crafts is because I need to keep my hands busy. I seem to be incapable of just sitting and watching TV, I need to be doing something as well. So I sit, watch TV, and crochet, or whatever my kick of the week is. I find it relaxing.

3. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

1/2 because of all of pretty much everything you guys just said, and the other half..

Keeps me off the hard stuff. :D AHahhaa. :D

4. fruit bat

fruit bat All dumplings are real.

I appologize for my immature remarks.. :rolleyes:

5. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I really love making the gifts for people myself!!!! Their looks are always so full of awe, like they don't believe that I made it... And I know they keep those items dear.

6. Bella_Donna

Bella_Donna *Femme Fatale*

I have a strong desire to create. I honestly believe it's one of the most beautiful things we can do. I love to create almost anything. I consider cooking and baking creating. Drawing, doing crafts, making clothes, etc, it's all about making something out of (relatively) nothing.

There's such a rush involved as you watch your project begin to take form, whether it's the cake rising in the oven or your new beaded hoop skirt. I try to make a point of making something everyday, it truly does make you a better person.

7. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I do a lot of my crafting because it keeps my Grandmother close.. not physically, but mentally. She passed a couple years ago, but she taught me how to knit and crochet... so doing those brings her back for a moment. Same with baking.... the act of kneeding bread is a communion with the dead... at least for me. I really hope that doesn't sound as demented as I think it does... haha!

I also have make things to keep up on demand. For birthdays and such.... people have some to expect something "made"... a scarf, a body scrub, some soup, slippers, a shawl, a painted box. If I buy them something they almost seem disappointed now! lol.

8. Nihila

Nihila Member

because it's satisfying. and i love selfmade stuff.

i started making hemp jewelry when my penpal from here (takenbythewind, some might remember her) sent me some and then taught me via aim conversation how to make my own.

i started painting something on shirts this spring. i'm in another forum where all the girls complained about how ugly printed shirts are. so they started to make their own. i'm not very active there, but i adapted the idea and made some shirts, too.

9. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

i create because i am passionate about design..every since i can remember i have been designing and creating something...i just love it..some people have that design ability and some do not...

i am going to take my passion for sewing and i'm going to get my degree in fashion design and u just wait..someday i will be a famous fashion designer! !

10. Jorma's Branches

Jorma's Branches Member

a. It grounds me with the earth, as I use all-natural products to do crafts, make jewelry, and the what not.

b. It'd be better for me to make my own stuff than to have some 7 year old emaciated boy doing it in Tijuana.

11. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

well fruit bat, you may have said it in a flippant way, but i think there's some truth to that remark, at least for me. i am bipolar and creating things, and painting espescially, is a way for me to distract myself from doing things like self damage, to channel energy and most of all express myself...
    also, i agree with other people's remarks..it's satisfying to make it yourself...when i have sewn something myself i am proud of it, if i have taken the time to do it right--sometimes when i am making garb i just sew it willy-nilly and don't take care to do it carefully. i love it when people compliment something i have made, it makes me feel good.

12. peacedaisy

peacedaisy Member

I create because its in me. My old man and I are artists and everything we create comes from within us. It makes me happy to see some one full of awe when they hold in their hands something that we created. I love the natural stuff of the earth, collecting stones, polishing them, making bags. It feels so good knowing. The patience and the techniques I've learnt through creating have also helped me adapt and grow as a mother and a lover. I am more patient, open and caring. So I make art to help me become a better person, inside and out.