your period and you

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by ZePpeLinA, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

what are your feelings about menstruation?
    I know, it can be so uncomfortable, painful, unconvenient, horrible and annoying but I want to know about your feelings about having your period

For me, having my period every month means i'm healthy and functioning as a full grown adult female. It means that my body is reacting positively to my hormones, meaning that i'm able to procreate if i happen to wish so. I've always seen periods as the most feminine event in a womans life, it makes you a woman...I dont know how many of you share this with me, but i feel so proud to be a woman, i feel content with being female, its beautiful.

I got my period today and my kidneys hurt and i'm bloated like a water balloon but i'm feeling ok. If you suffer from pms, try evening primrose oil in 1000mg, take one capsule daily and you'll definitely notice the difference.

anyway, be happy!

2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Menstruating is kinda just, like, whatever for me. It's something that happens once a month that can be a pain in the ass, and which also means it's just another week that I can't have sex (errr, or at least won't). It's no big deal really. I don't think much of it anymore.

3. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I also won't have sex then, and that bothers me the most. I have a weekend-relationship, and usually one weekend a month is spoiled by it. Ok, my man is thecutest caretaker, so it not such a big deal, but I totally get horny when I have my period. but the idea of having sex then is kinda ew. Other then that, my feelings are kinda neutral. Ok sometimes I think... oooo, not pregnant again, before that "thank god, not pregnant!" so it kinda has an indicator function....

4. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

I hate it. It's the one thing that sucks ass about being a woman. To contextualize that, I get cramps so bad that I lose a day or two a month -- as in, to not be screaming and crying in pain, I have to take so many drugs that I'm basically useless mentally. For years, doctors have suggested going on the pill to minimize the cramps, but the ones with strong enuf hormones to cut down the cramps give me excessive emotional side effects -- like spending a week each month curled up in a ball crying... That's worse, since I lose a week, not just a day or two. Finally I found a pill with a low enuf dose that it doesn't give me the bad emotional crap, but it doesn't do a damn thing for the cramps. But, at least now I can schedule the cramps instead of missing classes or tests or anything...

And, I've just started trying that continuous birth control thing -- where you skip the week of sugar pills for a couple of cycles, so you only have a period like every 3 months... This weekend will be my first period since July... As long as it's not 4 times as bad as a regular period, I'll definitely be sticking with this!

5. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

My period means to me....that a flower is blooming...and birds are singing...

meanwhile....

I'M DOUBLED OVER IN PAIN, BLEEDING FROM THE VAGINA!!!

6. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

7. AcousticPeace

AcousticPeace Member

ehh, its alright when i get cramps its like for a couple minutes then i dont have them anymore at all. it doesnt really bother me, it makes me feel more like a woman and more mature when i know, that if i wanted i could have a baby (even tho i dont want one yet) i feel special to be a girl.

8. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

ehh... its alright, i would rather not have it cuz its annoying and i always think i cant do nething. It makes me feel limited in what i do. I dont really get cramps, maybe right when i get it, and it only lasts like 3 days so its fast and idk. i dont mind it unless im camping or on vacation then i really do. and i hate having it in school cuz the teachers wont let u go to the bathroom all the time. thats houw i feel about it. peace~

9. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

When I was in high school, my periods were soooo fucking horrible. They were heavy, 8-9 days longs, and the first day I would get cramps so bad, I couldn't go to school.

But now, if I don't keep track of them, I barely notice them! My periods are so light and only last like 4 days, so I don't mind them so much. It's "whew, I'm not pregnant!"

10. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

It's the dreaded stain on the pants from the unexpected or near hemmoraging period that I can not stand.

11. Bocks

Bocks Senior Member

Funny how it's mainly the cramp-less people who are indifferent, or like it. It's one of the few things in life that I actually hate.

12. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Member

I HATE it with the fury of a thousand suns. It's five days of every month spent doped up on Vicodin, dripping blood from a very inconvenient place, putting my entire life on hold.
    AND, you can't even complain about it, like you would with a headache or something. Boys will, undoubtedly, freak out. You can't say to your dad, "MAN THAT HURTS! I HATE MENSTRUATION!"
    It's not something you can really talk about.
    I don't feel feminine when I have it, suffer it, rather, I feel bloated, disgusting, and miserable. If that's what being a female is, then I would rather not be one.

13. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

erm, i have some problems with my period that make me hate it at times... espiecially in the past but the original post really rang true for me. thanks for writing it! i will consider trying evening primrose...thanks for the critique of it. i just recently started taking dong quai for pms and also for well, the full range/scope of problems in that area... as they relate to hormonal flunctuations...

in any case, i also love being a female. not b/c i think being a female is any better then being a male... but i love being who i am and i am that part of the human spectrum.

as for having sex on my period... there may be 1 to 3 days of a month that i would prefer not to... but that doesnt even always have to be the case. its just blood and you'd be surprized if things are done with the energy and flow... the positive energy it can bring. but it's not needed and that is no problem.

i do get bad headaches and cramps with my period and you know... i wont lie and say i like it. today, at work, all these elementary school kids running around the gym, yelling... i felt like i was gonna faint.... i sat down on a chair... got myself grounded. it all ties together. we're not supposed to feel perfect all the time.....
    when i feel like crying for "no reason" because of pms... when i ground myself, i think of the ocean and the wind.... it's all life and it's beautiful.

14. interval_illusion

i understand you're strong feelings about the pain. trust me.

but you CANT say that to your dad or some guy? wtf... why not? they'd have to be pretty immature to not be able to hear "oh i have horrible fucking cramps"

eh nevermind

15. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Fuck that! Honey, I was raised by a single father, I damn well expect any male who thinks he is worthy of my time to be able to handle a discussion of something as mundane and common as a friggin period! And ya know what? A few will get really weird and freaked out... But the vast majority are fine with it. How much of guys freaking out is because they think that's what we expect, as if it would be polite behavior, along the lines of "never ask a woman her age" type of crap....

I had a hard time finding a bc pill that wouldn't make me cry for a week straight... One of the things my doc recommended was vitamin B complex to help level out the emotional effects of hormonal fluctuations. It has made a huge difference, I highly recommend trying it if what you're trying now doesn't help as much as you'd like.

16. interval_illusion

thanks dawn.... and even if this works a bit...maybe ill do both. :D

17. interval_illusion

yeah actually dawn is right. i actually am close to MANY more guys then girls and to the people im close to... i talk honestly about what is going on with me. they can do the same.... etc.

in any case, NONE of the guys i talk to ever get "freaked out".... well, actually ive run into situations where guys have told me that when they are in a RELATIONSHIP with a girl they feel like they're not supposed to try to help her if she has bad cramps/pms/etc... cause they dont understand certain things and the girls seem to think the guys would be grossed out etc..

we're all human. im prolly not making sense but i tried. sorry!

18. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Member

Not everyone is as enlightened as you, remember that.

19. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

I'm confused... You said you don't complain to guys because they would freak out... What does that have to do with how "enlightened" I am or interval is? If this is all about you being uncomfortable commenting on your period in front of guys, that's your own trip, we weren't commenting on that...

But if the only reason you don't talk about it in front of them is fear of their reactions, relax, most of the guys I've encountered (from country redneck bumpkins to metrosexuals to construction workers to average college guys, etc.) have not freaked out about it... That's all I was saying, and that's all I got out of interval's post...

20. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

Oh man rubytuesday... I never would have said anything like that when I lived with my dad. Ever. Some people have different relationships with their parents, and I can relate to rubytuesday in that respect. Not once have I ever spoke to my dad about anything pertaining to menstruation, even when I needed to buy stuff at the pharmacy and I was flat broke... I always found ways around it. Its just difficult for me to talk about those sorts of things with him, and I'd rather leave it at that.

As for my thoughts on the subject of this thread... I have no complaints with periods. I dont get any cramps or PMS or anything like that. I always feel like a total woman whenever I get mine. And my maternal instinct kicks in and all I can think about is having kids. aahhaha. (Of course, :rolleyes: I'm not going to at 15...) I don't mind getting mine. It's just another 6 or 7 days of the month to me.