Your Parents are (were) Hippies

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Spud, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Spud

Spud Member

My theory is that the majority of the 20 - 30 year-olds, posting on Hip Forums, parents are or were hippies.

Am I right?

2. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

ok, i'll give this try.
    i raised my neice and nephew. my sister dump them on me, and gave me legal gardenship. they were three and five years old when i got gardenship. they are now in their mid and late twenties.
    if they were posting here, i not doubt that they would say, i'm somekind of hippie.
    i think goth is the best label i could put on myself.
    i would say i'm somekind of cross between a goth and a hippie.

since i'm 52, i did not vote in the poll. if my neice and/or nephew are members of hip forums, or i they drop by here and see this thread, they can cast their votes, and tell you all, if i'm right that i'm somekind of hippie.

3. burnabowl

burnabowl Dancing Tree

my 'rents are actually flirting with 70, pre-baby boomers. they had their kids a bit late in life. the gen gap was a huge problem growing up; my parents were so out of touch and so stuck in the Eisenhower era they really did not even raise us aside from food and shelter, we were products of our friends and pop culture. they didn't have the first clue what to do when they found I smoked pot. My mom's suggestion was for my sister to follow me to all my HS classes the next day to make sure I went.

I was introduced to the counterculture by random friends at age 12 but didn't really understand it until about age 23, and I'm sure I'm still yet to really understand. My hippie leanings as a teen caused most ppl to write me off as lost, as it was suburban Utah. But it was vastly more authentic than the culture I was offered otherwise and I'll be a hippie for life.

4. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

1 was a hippie, 1 was in the war.

5. ruby-tuesday

ruby-tuesday Member

my mother is not, but my father is the biggest hippie i know.

6. azucena

azucena vagina farts

furthest thing from hippies.

7. VirulentCatastrophe

VirulentCatastrophe Member

Yeah, seriously. I'm not in the genreation you're questioning. But my parents aren't even close to being hippies.

8. Padme

Padme Member

A bit, they didn't conform to some aspects of the establishment like old traditional courtship and they had somewhat of an open relationship (On and off again)

9. liberer

liberer Member

my parents 'hate' hippies

it's pretty cool to see not every hippie have hippie's for parents, i always wondered whether or not they did, because i don't .. but i still got here, and i see some people who are so into it and can freely express it (so can i but i always wondered if they had the support of there parents or not) which i suppose is another question, because you can have non-hippie parents who still support you i suppose.

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I would disown my parents if they were hippies.

11. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

well i have smoked weed with my mom but i don`t think that makes her a hippie, she is just very liberal open minded person

12. Spud

Spud Member

Your mom is more hip than most mothers. You are fortunate to have her as your mom.

13. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

My dad wasn't a hippie, hes just a drunk that will do any drug.
    My mom wasn't a hippie, she just likes the old tunes and did a lot of drugs in her day.

14. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

No, my parents are and were liberal church going folks.
    They were involved in Civil Rights movement in the late 50's+.
    Mom is a current director of an interfaith campus center (Davis CA House) that has a married gay minister, funded by mainstream protestant denominations.
    Dad vigils for peace every Saturday.
    They're the kind of Christians who care more about knowing who God loves than knowing who God hates.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

yeah, why 20-30?

Anyway, my mum was, sort of is

My Dad, who was kicked out by my mum when I was younger I think was just a guy that pretended to be so he could nail a hippy chic ;)

Thank God he did though I suppose, otherwise I wouldnt be here to drop this pearl of wisdom on you ;)

16. Spud

Spud Member

Why 20-30? Because my sons are in that age group and we are hippy parents (not in looks any longer, but in spirit). So, I wanted to see if that was the case for others here in that age group. Just curious is all.

17. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

my parents graduated high school in '64, but they were far from being hippies. hell, both joined the army during the vietnam war.

18. _monocontento_

_monocontento_ Member

mom and dad dont drink or smoke the ganga anymore but, yeah, they're pretty groovy human beings

19. _monocontento_

_monocontento_ Member

haha greengirl thats a cool pic

20. Sri_Yantra

Sri_Yantra Member

Naw, they werent. They were both military brats. My dad is a strict atheist who worked for a pesticide company and wrote books about military history. He's tried pot but never tripped. He is always clean shaven and keeps the same 50s style haircut.
    My mom is strictly against any mind or mood altering substances. She is also a paranoid schizophrenic and intensely OCD (especially about cleanliness).

They were both nerds in the 60s and 70s. My dad played military games that him and his buddies made up in college, they were the original "gamers".