Your favorite bread recipe?

Discussion in 'Bread' started by sweetersappe, Oct 22, 2006.

1. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I make bread. Lots of it. I really love to.
    My current favorite is is plain bread with chopped apples and currants added at the last minute.
    Any other ideas for good winter bread?

2. deadmilkman

deadmilkman ~ ClouD ~

Have you tried Pumpkin Spoon Bread ? I also like Peanut Butter Bread.

3. sweetbabyjames

sweetbabyjames Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Ummm...that sounds really good!!

How about good ol' Chapatis. They are great with anything or alone. There are variations of the recipe; but I like this one:

2 c. whole wheat flour
    1/3 c. yogurt
    1/2-3/4 c. water
    Melted butter

In bowl combine flour and yogurt. Gradually add water until you have a soft dough. Knead on floured counter top.

Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then press flat into palms of your hands.

Place a cast iron skillet on medium heat so it will be a little hot by the time you are ready to cook the first Chapatis. Roll flattened balls into 5 inch circles on a table or board covered with flour, then place it on skillet. When it starts bubbling on one side, turn it over and cook on the other side, after it has been cooked in skillet, quickly hold Chapati with tong over medium heat until it puffs up. Brush with butter. Makes 1 dozen.

4. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I really like peanut butter bread. I have tried pumpkin bread, but not spoon bread. It does sound good, though.

5. garyb59

garyb59 Member

Have you tried Jim Lahey's no knead recipe. Just google it and several sites will come up. I've been baking bread for years now and this is the best ever.You can experiment with adding all kinds of things to the basic recipe, different flours, add herbs, cinnamon/raisins, bleu cheese and walnuts, whatever you want.

6. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Bake on middle rack, with a shallow pan of water on lower rack to humidify oven.I've invested in a warming-stone bread basket.There's just something special about the combination of bread and unsalted butter,with your mixer,whip together 1 stick of slightly softened unsalted butter,2 tablespoons honey,and a quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract for Honey Butter too.

7. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I love making bread in my bread machine.... I follow a white bread recipe, add a little black pepper, sesame oil, and a couple cloves of crushed garlic in the mix and it tastes so yummy.

8. philly29

philly29 Member

Ingredients for Bread And Raisin Balls

• 1-¾ cups dry bread crumbs
    • 1-¼ cups mashed banana
    • ¾ cup chopped raisins
    • ¼ cup chopped nut meats (any kind)
    • 1 tablespoon corn syrup
    • 1 tablespoon Argo or Kingsford's Cornstarch
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup milk or water
    Instructions

1. Combine the ingredients and let stand twenty minutes.
    2. Form into balls, dip in fine dry bread crumbs, then in an egg white slightly beaten and mixed with one-fourth cup water, then in crumbs again and fry in deep fat, half filling the kettle with corn oil.
    3. Heat to 375 degrees For until a bit of bread will brown in forty counts.
    4. Serve with Lemon Nutmeg Sauce.

9. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

So many good recipes! Today, I am making 2 loaves of whole wheat bread and 2 loaves of whole wheat/cranberry/almond bread. They smell sooo good. :)

10. jaigurudeva~

jaigurudeva~ Member

Dough-
    2 cups Apple Sauce
    6 Eggs
    1 1/4 cups Sugar
    1 1/4 cups Brown Sugar Add all these in this order
    2 Tsp Vanilla
    7 1/2 cups Flour
    1 Tps Baking Powder
    Spices-
    1 1/2 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1/2 Tbsp Allspice
    3 Tsp Cinnamon Can add these in any order
    2 Tsp Ginger
    2 Tsp Cloves
    1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
    Add Last-
    1 cup Nuts (Walnuts are best, but Pecans will do)
    1 cup Rasins
    (optional)
    Orange Zest (put in the dough)
    Lemon Juice

Add Flour (about a cup or less) until bread is right consistancy
    (not sticky wet, but together enough to roll out).
    Roll out into strips and braid it on greased pan.
    Brush egg on top. Put in oven for 375 degrees for 30 -45 minutes
    on second shelf with pizza stone under it.
    If you take it out and the middle still isn't done, leave it in the oven
    until the oven cools down with stone underneath.
    if no pizza stone is available it should still work fine, but might take a while longer

11. caliente

caliente Senior Member

Yumm! There's nothing better than fresh homemade bread. My roommate and I used to make the following recipe in college ...

Quick Homemade Bread

(takes less than an hour and a half, start to finish)

you will need:

2 bread pans
    large mixing bowl
    small bowl
    small saucepan

ingredients:

7-8 cups flour (whole wheat, unbleached white, rye, or other, in whatever combination, but the bread rises better and has a nicer texture if at least half the flour is unbleached white)

2 cups liquid (water, fruit juice, milk … at least half should be water)

1/3 cup sweetener (sugar, honey, molasses, dried fruit, etc)

1 tblsp salt

2 tblsp oil (any oil you prefer … melted butter gives good flavor, but makes the bread crumbly)

2 packages yeast

¼ cup warm tap water

method:

Do not preheat oven. Combine liquid, sweetener, oil, and salt in saucepan. Heat until almost too warm to touch. Don't let it boil. Pour into large mixing bowl and set aside. While liquid is heating, put the warm tap water into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast evenly into it. Let sit until thick and creamy, about five minutes. Do not stir.

Stir yeast mixture into liquid. Begin adding flour, two cups at a time. Mix with wooden spoon. The batter will become too thick to stir after about four or five cups of flour. At that point, pour batter out onto floured table or countertop.

Flour your hands and knead the dough vigorously until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as the dough becomes sticky. When well-kneaded, form the dough into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl and set in oven. Turn oven on at its lowest setting for a minute or two, until the interior feels nice and warm to your hand, then turn the oven back off. Leave the dough sitting in the oven to rise 20 or 30 minutes.

Remove the bowl from the oven, dump the dough back out onto the countertop, and knead again for a couple of minutes. Slice into two halves, form into loaves, and place in oiled loaf pans (if using non-stick pans, just a few drops of oil is enough). Set on rack in the middle of the oven. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack under the pans so the bottom of the loaves doesn’t overbrown.

Bake at 200 deg. for 10 minutes, then raise the temperature to 350 deg for an additional 35 minutes. At about 15 minutes, loosely set another sheet of aluminum foil on top of the loaves.

Remove from oven and from pans. Cool on cooling rack for five or 10 minutes before slicing; the loaves will be too soft to slice before that.

Find some sucker to clean up the mess in the kitchen.

12. easy recipes

easy recipes Banned

plain bread and a hot soup for the long winter...
    for soup i have a recipe:
    Catfish Soup EASY Recipes
    The small white catfishes are the best. Having cut off their heads, skins the fish, and cleans them, and cut them in three. To twelve small catfish allow a pound and a half of chicken. Cut the chicken into small pieces, or slice it very thin, and scald it two or three times in boiling water, lest it be too salt. Chop together a bunch of parsley and some sweet marjoram stripped from the stalks. Put these ingredients into a soup kettle and season them with pepper: the chicken will make it salt enough. Add a head of celery cut small, or a large table-spoonful of celery seed tied up in a bit of clear muslin to prevent its dispersing. Pat in two quarts of water, cover the kettle, and let it boil slowly till every thing is sufficiently done, and the fish and chicken quite tender. Skim it frequently. Boil in another vessel a quart of rich milk, in which you have melted a quarter of a pound of butter divided into small bits and rolled in flour. Pour it hot to the soup, and stir in at the last the beaten yolks of four eggs. Give it another boil, just to take off the rawness of the eggs, and then put it into a tureen, taking out the bag of celery seed before you send the soup to table, and adding some toasted bread cut into small squares. In making toast for soap, cut the bread thick, and pare off all the crust

13. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

3 cups self-rising flour 3 tablespoons sugar 1 regular size can of beer 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, shelled of course. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine all ingredients, blend well. Pour into well-greased loaf pan. Bake about 30 minutes.