You Know You're Getting Older When...

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Ole_Goat, May 25, 2006.

1. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

Each of us has (or will have) an epiphany that we are in the midst of transforming from 20 somethings into a generation as old as our parents used to be.
    For many of us it is getting (needing) our first bifocals or reading glasses. For me, it was spotting an historic licsence plate on a vehicle (1966 Malibu) I remember seeing in the dealership showrooms. A couple of years later, this was reinforced while visiting the Henry Ford Museum and seeing several vehicles on display dating from the 1960's & 70's as if they were rare artifacts. An age were radios were Am, Optional equipment and pushbutton, 8 trac Tape decks were still a futuristic item and Gasoline was sold in only 2 grades - Regular and Eythol and cost 24 and 26 cents a gallon.

My question is what is/has been your epiphany? That our parent's generation had been replaced by us?

2. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was talking with some co-workers. One of the younger co-workers responded to my comment with the question, "What's Woodstock?"

3. kissya

kissya Head Mistress

Someone, once asked me what an 8-track tape player was. He said he figured I would know because I was old. :(

4. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

Heard someone say they didn't know Paul McCartney wasn't always a single act. After thinking about for a short time, he suddenly remembered "Oh Ya!, it was Wings".

I'm beginning to wonder if the "Kids" of today are as aware of the way things were 30 years ago as we were at their age. When I was 15, I was not only aware of silent movies but who were the stars of the era. Last year my nephew brought over a friend of his. This "kid" was about 18 years old. The friend not only never seen or know anything about silent movies but never even heard of Laurel and Hardy. I did my part, before he left, he watched "Big Business" and a couple other silent L&H shorts.

I hope I'm wrong but at least in these couple examples, there seems to be a clear demarcation line. Nothing remotely interests them that came before their life time.

5. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

Hope you hit him with your walker.

6. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

This happened over ten years ago,,,but I have a laurel and hardy doll, and this lil kid seen them and said, oh jake and the fat man. lol

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i never knew my grand parents. i met my mother's mother. once.
    i'm of the generation that is now older then i remember my parents being.
    people who are parents now and the age my parents were,
    wern't even born yet when most of the big things in the world in my life were going on;
    kennidy being nominated, man on the moon, nixxon and 'nam, the whole 'hippie' scene.

as for paul maccartney in a band before wings, i heard THAT ONE almost thirty years ago.

getting married for the first time, after i know longer gave a dam about sex, i guess that would qualify as the kind of moment you describe.

i once feared that before i turned 30 i would be stuck in a time loop and have to keep living my same less then 30 years over and over again. thank the love of nontangable spirits i was spared that hellatious misfortune.

i remeber being amazed that anyone could ever be as old as i am now, and i've still got another 20 years to go before i turn 80. hope i live to see it.

i'd give anything to see what a grandly wonderful world this could be, and hopefully someday will, when people stop putting trying to impress each other ahead of permitting and encouraging each other to create and explore.

it really doesn't matter about my own age or anyone else's other then that.

=^^=
    .../\...

8. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

I used to laugh at my Mother because her arm wasn't long enough. It wasn't so funny when it happened to me & I had to get reading glasses. Thinking that old people (40) didn't have sex. That was a totally disgusting thought. Life is all a wonderful process & now we are the teachers.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I remember open deck 4 tracks....before 8 tracks.

10. longhaircountryboy

longhaircountryboy Banned

I think the first time I heard guns n roses or metallica on the "classic rock" station..my girl sayin"damn baby,your almost 30,I thought you were my age(23)"..or the best..my dad says last week.."so you'll be 25 this year?"I'm like no dad,I'll be 28..blew his mind lol..he said he was thinkin 26 but wasnt sure & didnt wanna make me feel old if he was wrong lmao.boy i'm teachin to play guitar never heard of betamax or coleco vision...dammit..been a lot of em lately.I feel like i'm fuckin geezin..cant even find a damn record player anymore

11. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

*smiling* Your geezin' at 28? Wait until your hairline is receeding higher on your scalp and eating leftover pizza for breakfast is no longer good nutrition.

12. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

Don't blink your 30's will be gone. At what age can I be GEEEEZIN?

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my realization of 'getting older', other then sometimes forgetting what i'm doing while i'm doing it, is that nixxon and nam were longer ago now, then wwii was when i was born.

i'm still having trouble getting my head arround that one.

=^^=
    .../\...

14. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

In todays world you dont need to be going on 40 to realize your getting old. Technology is changing so quickly that even the most technologically sound person will be behind the times.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when the earliest childhood memories of everyone you know are of things that didn't even exist until you were over 30!

=^^=
    .../\...

16. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

you know your getting old when you actually remeber the Bee Gee's BEFORE disco

existed!!

17. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Used to go up the stairs two at at time, so I'd get to the top quickly.
    Now I go up the stairs two at a time, so I bend my knees fewer times.

18. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

When your kids ask you how it was" IN THE OLD DAYS'"

19. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

My consolation of all of these posts is someday, some little kid will look up at their parent(s) and exclaim "Whoa!...You remember a time before IPODS?"

20. wichitarick

wichitarick Member

hi
    funny stuff but true. 8yr. old d.d. and I were in the thrift store and she got very ,extra excited and grabbed a dial up phone and said wow I know how to use this over and over and over really I do. oh boy lol.
    my grandmother kept a black dial up for yrs and yrs you know why to be nostalgic ??NO becaise she liked it??NO ... "because it worked" lol.
    the converse tennis shoes that I did,nt really like wearing ,then did, then did,nt
    have come in and out of fashion 3 times in different colors since I was a kid ..thats a good sign.
    checked just the basic t.v. commercials lately ??? you would have got your mouth washed with soap for this .
    remember what hot wheels track was good for ???????????
    were they still giving swats in school ?? with paddles made in woodshop??????
    george carlins ..the 7 things you can,t say on t.v.????
    my sister still has her 45,s my bro. still has over 1,000 albums
    8tracks sucked.
    but I still remember being thrilled by a guys reel to reel collection wow
    first concert ???? what was it ??
    charlie daniels band,marshall tucker band and pure paraire league at a fairgrounds wow. nostalgia ...
    I won KISS tickets and would,nt go because it was dudes in makeup LOL .
    I sold joints and the tickets in the parking lot lol.
    politicians with long hair ??? wow.
    tye die in wal mart wow.
    they did,nt beat me up for painting my house pink and purple. wow .. but my dad and his wife would,nt help LOL LOL
    I cut my hair because ???????? it was to damn hot at work WOW LOL . reality creeping in lol.
    would love to have one of those v.w.,s back for yard art. LOL am serious and have you priced one wow I had 9 once most were free.
    I need a bean bag for my bad back lol.
    leather coats became cool wow.
    hippie clothes in wal mart wow lol.
    sister homeade clothes are 200$ per outfit in the antique mall for real wow.
    peolple actually make a living faux painting . and they actually allow mural painting in WICHITA KS. wow.
    liquor by the drink in KANSAS wow.... times do change trust me this state is last..
    remember when the lottery was "GAMBLING" and secluded to a little spot in the desert that is now the fastest growing place in the country?
    now the pres. buys tickets.
    when you were hyper in school they punished you?? I do now they give you meds without asking first?????????? sorry that ones personal.
    remember moms diet pills??? and sleeping pills because she was wired from the diet pills?? I do.
    remember when it was a huge deal for a kid to drink coffee or tea??? I do now they have kids coffee drinks wow.
    candy was outlawed in school totally ??? now they reward my kid with it without asking me ?????? wow.
    if you were shopping at dav or sally for your kids clothes you were a bum now it is cool???
    if you repainted all your furn, 2 colors with latex it was junk now they have cable shows to show you how ?? and I,ve sold some whitewashed pcs. for 4times what the original pc was worth ??? lol.
    oh boy could go on and on fun .
    "it,s not the crazy people you worry about.....it,s the ones that don,t know it..R.C.
    thanks Rick