you know how they used to call black people "colored people"?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 21, 2005.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

well, i always thought that was weird because the color black is actually the absence of color. (not talking about people but just the color)... so yeah, i always thought that was weird.

2. Bug4U2Hug

Bug4U2Hug Banned

Negro seems to be the more appropriate term as I am fairly certain it will someday become a politically correct term once again.

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

all i gotta say is,,,,,

4. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

My grandmother says colored people(she is 96) it annoys me i'm always correcting her. I say "grandma they are not green"

im sensitive to wrong racial names/slurrs like peacefuljeffery is about spelling.

(yes i spelt many things wrong in this post. Did you know i could hardly read or barely write until i was 18 because i never went to school and was fucked on drugs so i didnt read. My reading level was at a 10 year olds)

5. interval_illusion

the people that are so anal about spelling are silly.

6. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

my mom still calls 'em negros.

the thing is, she thinks she is being nice by calling them that....

7. velvet

velvet Banned

I can get really annoyed by all this political correctness stuff.. sheesh.. I mean.. being PC doesn't mean that you are 'good'.. remember the days of the village idiot, who was cared of and watched by the whole community? Remember when they named them 'mentally disabled' or 'challenged' and locked them away in homes or drugged them to apathy?

It's all about intention.. that's it.. plus it's different from every person, culture and country. I know a lot of people that think that 'negro' is just a name for an ethnic group, like caucasian.. while I know others that get all worked up about it for some reason. Same with the whole gay/homosexual thing.

Oh.. and DON'T even get me started on what you people in the US are pulling with 'African American'! I mean.. what the fuck! Than you should call others 'Irish American' and whatever.. if I were black and living in the US I'd be totally pissed if they kept referring to some continent I've probably never been and my fortfathers left a long time ago.

Hey, guess what.. maybe you should divide everyone in the US into 'Indian', 'European', 'Asian' and 'African'.. 'cause the US is such a young culture that it shouldn't be to hard to figure out where everyone came from. Seriously.. African American.. what are you thinking?

Grrr... now I'm all worked up again!

*sigh*

Ok done.. :D Proceed :)

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Right on, Velvet!

9. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

Yeah it is different ,to my grandmother saying colored is alright because for her generation it was the correct thing to say. Times are changing now we use different words ,are taught different words. I cant help it i get annoyed when i hear someone say Engine, Honkey, or Darkie. To me ,TO ME, its not ok.Sorry i do have a opinion. Everyone one does just like you do.

10. interval_illusion

yeah velvet- we've talked about that before... i was saying how im just gonna call white people in america, "african americans"- cause i mean... we ALL came from africa. :)

11. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

well i guess i should go shove myself on a res. then

12. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

you know how they used to call black people "colored people"? What do you mean use to call balck people colored. I live in Virginia where either coloured or darky is still in the national song.(I forget which one.) I use to think you had to be older to call people that until I heard one of my friends use it to describe a guy and she was in her 20's lol. I agree with what was said about the Native-American,African-American, Asian-Americans and other former country Americans. (You can tell who made these names ;)) Everyone else is identified with their homeland except European whites. Even indians that are indigenous to the land are called Native-Americans. (That's so that you know who's land it use to be.) I feel labels misrepresent and that people don't really know their ethnic backgrounds. People kept such poor records way back when that you could be alot of things you didn't even know. I think that we are better off calling each other by our first names, at least we know where they came from. ;)

13. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

*bites tongue until it bleeds heavily*

14. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

White is the absence of color, Black is all the colors together

15. Bellfire01

You shouldn't do that it's not healthy. You should let it all out so you can be heard. No matter what you say it's important and you deserve to be heard. Even if it's somthing negative against me you should say it. (Just don't make me pay too much ;).)

16. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

White is the absence of color, like juggalo said, and black is the absence of light. I've never seen anyone who was black though anyway. :rolleyes: So, what's the point of all this? :confused:

17. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Thank you, Juggs. I was about to post that myself.

18. Bellfire01

I knew a lady that had actually turned black because she was really sick with cancer. I didn't see her when it got that bad thank goodness but another person I knew said that she had lost alot of weight and was very black in parlor. You may be asking, "What does this have to do with anything?" Well I'll tell you. While the guy I was talking to was describing how bad off my friend was before she died he neglected to remember how much fun and how memeorable a person she was. I think when people focus on the unimportant things like color they miss out on the important things like life.

19. Bellfire01

Actually, black is a shade and brown is the color everything turns when you mix all the colors. (I had a a crayola fest once.) Hence, why it's bad to spell lots of stuff on one carpet and why furniture is brown. (Don't hold me to that theory though. ;) )

20. interval_illusion

i could have sworn it was the opposite. hmmm, guess i dont remember as much from high school science class as i thought i did.