You Don't Need To Take Vitamins. You Get Enough Vitamins In The Food You Eat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fueled by Coffee, May 28, 2015.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Could be. But could also not be. Around age 60 and onwards it may be useful for a lot of people to take vit d supplements or extra calcium etc. etc. regardless wether they made an effort to live and eat healthy earlier. Shit happens. Especially if you lived good (and with that I mean not being a health nut) :)

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I doubt anyone would describe me as a health nut:) I try to eat well, take my supplements, get a bit of exercise, that's about it.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Honestly, sounds perfect. I don't want to be old anyway.

No supplements = die at good age. ;)

4. BlackBillBlake

You'll probably live to be 100. Longer even if you eat up your greens.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Me personally?

6. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

a lot of foods are actually fortified with added vitamins and minerals because they are otherwise so poor in nutritional value due to the way they are processed. i take a handful of supplements everyday, including acetyl-l-tyrosine, cdp-choline/alpha-gpc (either one or the other), alpha lipoic acid, acetyl-l-carnitine, dmae, omega-3s.

i do use caffeine but i avoid things high in sugar and dont generally hardly ever drink sodas so i buy the sugar free energy drinks. i dont eat junk food, and eat candy maybe 2-3 times a year (seriously). its not like i really make this a conscious effort .. i just dont like those things, they just make me feel kinda gross and make my mind feel less sharp.

i also try to avoid things that have artificial colors .. most food dyes are derived from coal tar and arent that much different chemically to the green dye used in the recording layer of optical discs such as cd-r media. this is hard but since everything seems to have some sort of artificial dyes .. if i have to drink a soda i drink clear sodas usually. im not a chemistry major so maybe this isnt really saying much.

1 person likes this.
  7. BlackBillBlake

Who knows. More people now live to be older.

8. David0301

David0301 Members

i have taken multivitamin-capsules for many years. I stopped taking them 2 years ago.
    When I was taking them I had a vitamin-deficiency throughout my whole body (there are signs you can tell,) . I have not taken any vitamin supplement for over 2 years now and there is no sign of deficiency whatsoever throughout my body. For the first time in my life . (again: there are signs to tell)
    Why? It all comes down to the efficiency of your digestion. If you optimize your digestion (there are many ways to do that) then your body will make use of every food you ingest at a 100% rate. When your colon for example is clogged up, then even the best organic foods can not help you. Because digestion eficiency is not 100% .

And btw there are many studies out there proving that the body can not make any use of the vitamins contained in capsules . Which there are also signs you can tell. For example color&smell of your urine. Vitamins always occur in nature combined with other nutrients and fiber. There is a reason for that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

1 litre of beer can give you 50% of your daily fibre requirements, 100% of your vitamin b requirements. On e tomato = 1/3 of your vitamin C requirements.

Eating fast food a lot means too much fat and sugar, but it doesnt mean people arent getting their fibre or vitamins

10. Kerri

Kerri Members

Sort of - life expectancy was 30 for thousands of those years

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Because of battle probably. Not because a lack of vitamin C. :p a lot of child birth deaths too by the mothers, most likely not vitamin related either.

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Not to mention that there was no antibiotics, so something as simple as a cut could become lethally infected.

No knowledge of basic sanitation either, nor disease prevention.

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

True, but some vitamins break down very quickly, Vitamin C is destroyed by heat when fruit and vegetables are cooked.
    I only take the odd 60mg vitamin C tablet, preferably with zinc that helps it's absorption. The 500mg shock dose tablets are also good to help get rid of a cold and are much more healthy than masking the symptoms with paracetamol or ibuprofen.
    Unless your body has difficulty absorbing vitamins and they are prescribed by a doctor, excess use can often do more harm than good.

14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

If you're eating a very green diet, ie: raw spinach, kale, broccoli, superfoods, etc. then, you likely won't need a lot of supplemental help from vitamins. I eat a very healthy, organic diet, and still feel like I need a few vitamins that might be missing. I prefer whole food based vitamins, they might be a little more expensive, but they're worth it.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I actually had a blood test at the doctor the other day and I'm good to go. No vitamin deficiencies and my mineral levels are all nice and balanced

And I dont eat insanely healthy. I do eat a fair amount of fruits and vegetables but I dont turn my nose up at junk food either. I probably eat clean 70% of the time. 60% if I'm having a bad week.

David0301 likes this.
  16. David0301

David0301 Members

thanks for sharing.
    I have known it for 2 years that vitamin supplements are unnecessary.
    you said you got your blood tested and "no vitamin deficiency" , that is because your digestion/absorption works well.
    Fyi: you dont need to get tested, simply looking at your fingernails or eyes would also do that. (for advanced people) .
    But here is just one example that might be of interest for you and other people:
    The vitamin C content of green tea is four times higher than in lemon juice and it contains more B-vitamins than any other known plant.
    So, just by drinking 1 cup of green tea every morning you have covered your vitamin c & B needs. We have not even started eating. See what im saying?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Have a think about that one.

Do you really think humans 10,000 years ago didnt know stagnant water was bad, uncovered cuts got worse faster than covered ones, having your toilet near your house attracted flies, everything that dies and wasnt buried didnt rot, get covered in flies, then later maggots

Various cultures have been covering wounds with moss, fungi, chlorophyll for 10s of thousands of years. Quarantining leprosy sufferers because they knew it had something to do with direct contact

Its a bit of an urban myth to think human in times of yor didnt know about disease, or basic sanitation

You think over say the last 50,000 years, over the whole wide world, not one single human clicked that some of these things came from animals smaller than can be seen. Pretty much every culture from the dawn of time has been burying or burning their dead, because they see what happens if the body rots

And AVERAGE life expectancy may have been low, but plenty of fossils of 70 year olds from eons ago, that would not be possible if every cut was lethal

David0301 likes this.
  18. David0301

David0301 Members

well done , this needs to be printed and framed

19. David0301

David0301 Members

´+ i would also add: people did NOT die younger than now. Thats a myth. People were getting 100+ years just as they do now. The only differenceis: the risk of getting killed (battle,war,injury) was higher. thats it. look at natural tribes nowadays in ethiopia, japan, indonesia, caucasus mountains, himalaya --> they all get 100+ years old . dont need glasses. dont got a hump on their back. still working and riding their horses. this myth "people didnt get old" needs to be put in the "myth drawer" along with many other myths. Dont regurgitate everything you hear. Reason for yourself!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That was not was she was saying at all. People knew about a lot of those things by experience and sharing those but they knew far less about antisceptics. When humans really found out about that about 150 years ago the medical world really could advance.

To make another obvious correction: that they knew far less about that stuff before did not mean every cut was lethal, it could become lethal under the wrong conditions. This counted even more for more serious wounds, which really happened all the time. Far more often then now.

No, its not a myth that the average medieval person didn't got older than 40. This seems the case for 1000ths of years, indicated by history, archeology and several other study focus points.