Yippee – I’m all booked and the countdown is on!

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by rogga, Feb 16, 2008.

1. rogga

rogga Member

First, I want to thank Koopa, Travelling High, Smiley420, Skip and all others that provided me with fantastic info regarding my upcoming-first trip to the Dam. Your gear recommendations and smoker friendly hotel recommendations were gratefully appreciated! I’m very comfortable on which coffeeshops that I definitely want to hit, and I believe that my hotel selection will work out well. (Beyond my posts on this forum, I’ve literally put in at least a hundred hours of research!)

I’ll be in the Dam from April 5 to the 18th. For those of you that will also be in the city during that time, including couples, singles (male or female), or groups of mates, and would like to hook-up; the first few smokes and subsequent first round of drinks are definitely on me. I always enjoy partying and having good conversation with cool people from various countries and cultures. And I’m certainly not a “loud mouth” American!

Again, thanks!

2. cadcruzer

cadcruzer Sailing the 8 seas

Give this place a try , great food

http://www.pancake.nl/ google it and print a map, its worth the trouble.

3. rogga

rogga Member

Excellent – thanks cadcruzer! I had previously read a few good review of the Pancake Factory, but that was the first I had seen their site. I’m now definitely going!

4. lmao

lmao Member

1st time, eh?
    you
    will
    have
    the
    time
    of
    your
    life!!!!
    When I have an extra few minutes, I will tell you some of my fav places, that is.... if you'd like

5. rogga

rogga Member

That would be much appreciated, Imao – at your convenience!

Man I’m completely stoked. This will also be my first return to Europe in many years. Asia's had my calling during recent years.

Amsterdam is obvious a very unique place – at many levels, which I plan on experiencing. But one thing is for sure: I want to re-experience some of the great hash that had many times while in Italy and Spain back in the day.

6. smiley420

smiley420 Member

FAR OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st trip's are always the best....imo.....
    i'll b there in march so i will let u know how the gear is :)

7. lmao

lmao Member

Well, some of my fav places are:
    • Dampkring (of course, always my first stop when I get there)
    • Funny Guys (excellent space cake)
    • Pink Floyd, Haarlemerstraat is a nice hang out
    • Barney's (of course---don't miss the breakfast)
    Damn, there's so much more, I wish I could recall!! LMAO!!

Where are you staying?

8. lmao

lmao Member

you know, my first impression after reading your post was, "no way!! I had way more fun on subsequent trips..."

then, I thought for a minute..and remembered my very 1st time.
    and I thought...maybe so!! My first trip was such a mind fuck, I can't remember having that much fun in my life. Just seeing that city for the first time was an experience I'll never ever forget. I've forgotten lots of my other trips, but I will never forget that first time!!
    LMAO!!

9. rogga

rogga Member

Thanks for the additional info, IMAO!

All of the places you mention, with the exception of Funny Guys, are already on my list. I’m also looking forward to chilling in several other shops, which are a little less touristy, such as the Katsu. Regardless, finding the best gear – especially hash – is a must!

I’m staying at the Hotel Freeland on Marnixstraat, not far from the Leidseplein. Freeland has good reviews and is smoker friendly. And while it’s billed as a gay friendly hotel with gay owners, I’m straight (but not narrow!)

10. itsamagicallife

itsamagicallife Member

Never heard of Coffeeshop Funny Guys. What's the address? Do you mean Coffeeshop Funny People on the Nieuwebrugsteeg?

11. lmao

lmao Member

oooppsss!!

YES! FunnyPeople! :D

LMAO

12. Nu-life

Nu-life Member

I am also planning a trip in March the 20-25. I know this is short notice but I am looking for some help mysef. This would be my first time in the DAM. If you could please help me on where to stay for smoke friendly hotels near redlight or near the happening scenes. What to do for a straight males (me and my boys are going), coffe shops and good reseasonable places to eat. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

13. rogga

rogga Member

Here's what a couple of Amsterdam Gurus wrote in the following thread:

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280149

travelling high wrote: You could try hotel Rookies, greenhouse and vijaya.

cadcruzer wrote: http://www.hotel-abba.nl/ Very stoner friendly, and budget friendly too.

You'll need to do a MapQuest, or some sort of map search, to find the location of those hotels.

I use http://www.amsterdamer.supanet.com/, and select "Coffeeshops," "Attractions," and "Drink and Dine" to compare the scene in the RLD, Centrum and the Leidseplein areas.

Like I mentioned in my post, Hotel Freeland is smoker friendly. And they cater to everybody. I’m straight and I’m cool with selecting that hotel. The owners have provided me with some excellent info; and they’re very responsive and seem kind. The Freeland has good reviews online.

I was going to stay at Rookies, in the middle of the Leidseplein area, but research revealed the nose level was too much. I’ve stayed in places like that in Asia, and I’m at a point where I don’t want to deal with that aspect anymore.

Good Luck and Cheers

14. smiley420

smiley420 Member

if u dont mind doing the "hostel" thing..... check out the flying pig uptown or down town locations i have stayed there b4 and i had an awsome time the place is very smoker friendly
    flyingpig.nl

15. Nu-life

Nu-life Member

Greetings, Me and my boys plan on going to the DAM for the first time. We are planning on going from the 20 -25. Haven't made any plans yet because I am green to the DAM. I see you have made some good connections. If you please assist me on where to stay (hotel) that is smoke friendly and cool coffe shops and places to eat that won't hurt the budget. I would really appreciate any help you can give.

16. rogga

rogga Member

Nu-life,

I think Smiley420 makes a good suggestion about considering the fly pig hostel. I recently watched an Amsterdam travel doc on PBS, or Create, or the Travel Channel – or some channel on the tub -- that featured the fly pig. And from what I’ve read on this forum, the fly pig is supposed to be top-notch as far as hostels go. But other members on this forum will likely weigh in on that, with better advice than I can provide.

I’ve also been told by some Amsterdam experts on this forum that the Leidseplein area has plenty of good cheap eateries. Again, if you click on the http://www.amsterdamer.supanet.com/ “Drink and Dine” link and mouse over restaurants; many of their website addresses are displayed. On the restaurant websites, most have the menus posted. That will give you a general idea of food cost, but it’s clear that the amsterdamer.supanet site doesn’t even list anything near all of the restaurants in the DAM, especially a lot of the less costly ones.

I’ve noticed you’re asking the same questions in a different thread. I’m sure that within a few days, more folks like smiley420 will provide you with some good advice.

I would suggest, however, like I think other members will, that you pin down your place to stay as soon as possible – and make a booking.

17. scousertommy

scousertommy Member

Ill be there wid the lads 15th to 18th if you fancy a joint and a bevvy rogga.

18. smiley420

smiley420 Member

there's a meet-n-greet/coffeeshop crawl going down on the 17th.of march at THE GREENHOUSE EFFECT (warmoesstraat 53-55)
    much smoke will b had by all :)

19. scousertommy

scousertommy Member

In there in April mate or id have been there.

20. smiley420

smiley420 Member

dig it