yeast infections

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by morningglory, Dec 1, 2004.

1. morningglory

morningglory Member

I just got my first one... is there anything I can do to ease the symptoms a bit. This really isn't cool. I finally went to a doctor and the crap he gave me did this shit to me, grrr!

2. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Gross... I hate yeast infections. Does your shower have one of those removable hand-held shower things? Cos those are great when you have yeast infections... it won't really help the actual infection but keeping the area clean is going to pay off. Also, sometimes you can use nappy cream around the vulva, it will help if you're itching or anything - this is if the stuff your dr gave you didn't come with cream. if it did, then use that. *sigh* my heart goes out to you, yeast infections are gross.

3. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Douche with plain, active, yogurt.

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

First, be completely sure that this is a yeast infection. There's no change in smell with yeast infections, itchiness is the most common symptom, and sometimes the texture changes to a thicker, occasionally cottagecheese-like texture. Did your doc diagnose this? The first (and occasionally the next few) yeast infections you get should be diagnosed by a doc to make sure it isn't something else.

You could purchase a product such as canesten, monistat, or the brand name equivalent. I haven't tried douching with yogurt or any other home remedies, but I have used all of the products available that are designed specifically to cure yeast infections. Three day ones seem to work the best for me, five day ones are good too. If it's a really mild y.i., you can try the one day one, but it hasn't been as effective with me as the others. I would get one that has a cream to relieve itching of your vulva. Also, only use the product at night (it leaks and is gross) and I would recommend having a towel underneath of you if you move around at all when you sleep. If these don't work, go to your doc and get a prescription for a pill you take orally (it's a little bit cheaper and doesn't cause the same mess, but you can only get it through prescription)

was it antibiotics that you received? Those often cause yeast infections for women.

Make sure you change your underwear every day... make an effort to wear really breathable materials for both your underwear and pants (cotton is the best). Shower often, especially if you get sweaty.

A lot of sources make it sound like yeast infections are caused by hygiene issues, but I would get them a lot irregardless of my hygiene routine (it never changed... sometimes I'd get a y.i. and sometimes I wouldn't). It could be anything from hygiene to antibiotics to plain ole' stress messing up your system. If you're on the pill, it can increase susceptibility to y.i.'s (like it used to for me)

If you get another one soon, such as within the next month or two, go see your doc again.

5. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Look in yahoo for info ther are some good pages about natural ways to remedy yeast infections.

6. delphinium

delphinium Member

EAT lots of yogurt, and also go to your local health food store and ask for acidofilus;which is the active bacteria you need to naturally balance the yeast levels in your body. It comes in pill or liquid form.

7. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

For the most part, I second that. There are plenty of bacterial infections that make you itch like hell down there too. Unless you're sure it's yeast, you really shouldn't treat for yeast -- you don't want to encourage treatment-resistant yeast! Monistat doesn't like to mention that part...

However, about the smell -- I disagree. That's one of the key symptoms that docs have asked about & is generally noticeable in my experiences. It smells yeasty -- like bread or beer, if you've never used yeast directly. It may be very faint or pretty strong, depending on your body chemistry & the severity of the infection, & probably some other factors as well.

http://www.msu.edu/user/eisthen/yeast/ is a really good site for yeast info.

8. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

sorry...I was mostly referring to a fishy sort of smell which is another type of vaginal issue, the name of which I completely space on. There are some that have similar symptoms to yeast but smell really really strongly and nastily (our natural aroma is very nice, IMHO, but not when you got yicky stuff happening there) whereas yeast infections aren't quite so strong scented (I've never noticed a scent, but I've never taken a whiff if myself during a yeast infection)

9. Brighid

Brighid Member

The fishy smelling infection is Bacterial Vaginosis, "affectionately" known as BV. It smells strongest right after sex. It can cause itching in the vulva area too. The discharge may be watery and greyish white. BV is NOT an STI, it's simply an overgrowth of normal vaginal bacteria.

I read a report somewhere that many women (something like 70%!) self treat for yeast and in fact have BV, trichomoniasis, or another infection. SO, getting it properly diagnosed is important before you treat.

Yeast does smell like fresh baked bread, is thick and white and may be chunky like cottage cheese, is itchy and irritating. The skin on your vulva may be shiny red and very tender.

Eat loads of PLAIN, unflavoured yogurt, take an acidophulus supplement, avoid refined sugars and flours, even fruit juices. Yeast loves sweet. A clove of garlic, carefully peeled so you don't knick the membrane of the skin, and wrapped in a piece of unbleached cotton muslin or gauze and inserted in the vagina and changed every 12 hours is very helpful. Make sure you don't knick the skin! It will burn. After a while you will taste the garlic in your mouth, then you know it's working.
    A vinegar and water douche (1/2 and 1/2 or a commercial product) will provide immediate relief, rinse your vulval area with vinegar and water as well.
    Wash your panties with HOT water, rinse with a cup of white vinegar, and hang in the sun to dry to kill the spores hanging out in your undies.
    No sex! You and your partner can re-infect each other. He may also rinse his penis with the vinegar and water solution.
    Dry your vulval area well after showering, and if you feel damp or sweaty, change your panties often. Yeast thrives in moist, dark areas. Use a clean towel each time, and wash with hot water and a vinegar rinse. Avoid nylon or synthetic fibers, use plain cotton underwear, or none at all.

10. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

That one is important to remember with any other infections as well. The last time I had BV (and a UTI at the same time, yippee) the doc said to use condoms for 6-8 weeks cuz the bacteria could be hiding out in his urethra -- most often it will just pass out within a couple/few weeks, tho in rare cases it can get up far enuf to cause a UTI for him.

Gotta love those non-STI infections that can still be transmitted sexually! :rolleyes:

11. morningglory

morningglory Member

Yeah, I went to the doctor and he wrote me some diflucan. I got it b/c he put me on some hardcore antibiotics for pneumonia. I've been eating a lot of yogurt too. Thanks for all the advice.