YAY!!!, it's Invasion Day

Discussion in 'Australia' started by syd, Jan 25, 2005.

1. syd

syd Banned

Oh yes yes, oh yay

2. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

hope u enjoyed the day

3. puddin

puddin Banned

Bah, whats really important is today is another excuse to drink too much beer!

4. sooty_the_kat

sooty_the_kat Senior Member

yay for the invasion

5. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

what do you mean? an invasion? i think you guys are wrong! it is hottest 100 day! woohoo!!!!!!!!

JJJ all the way!

6. sooty_the_kat

some aboriginies call australia day invasion day

7. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

please someone correct me if I am wrong...aboriginie is actually a term that is not an accepted way to refer to the Aboriginal people that were here before European settlers?

Personally for me Australia day is one of the few times in my life that I get to see us doing any decent fireworks shows and I figure that they rock no matter what nationality you are from...a celebration of now........ not necesarily of the past...ooohh..please don't take the fireworks from us!!

8. sooty_the_kat

who cares it's just a name

9. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

What have the Romans ever done for us?

10. clockworkorangeagain

yeah i know...i was joking because most of us celebrate triple j's hottest 100 countdown!! hehe

11. puddin

puddin Banned

Im pissed that franz ferdinand won. dont get me wrong theyre a good band i just think there were way better releases this year.

12. clockworkorangeagain

haha me too...i like the new version of their song...is it done by the sissor-sisters?
    and im sick of missy higgins too...

13. puddin

puddin Banned

Gawd i wish i could have been at the sydney BDO to see chris streek!
    Missy Higgins shitts me too.
    Who do you think should have won?

P.S. it was the scissor sisters.

14. clockworkorangeagain

hmm i dunno really... there are heaps i like.... i think coin operated boy is cool, but i dont know about number one..though the back end of the list seemed to have more potential thatn the top

what do you reckon?

15. august_moon

august_moon Member

I do.
    But I don't care whether you call me aboriginie or aboriginal. It's the same thing.
    Yes australia day is hottest 100 and beer, beer and more beer but maybe charge your glass once on the day to all the peolpe that have suffered and still suffer today from dispossision, assimilation and all the rest of the crap we have had to deal with. If only australia knew half of the shit aboriginal people have had to suffer since colonisation. i was talking to an Egyiptian friend the other day and he knows more about aborigines than the average aussie?? Why is that?
    Go to the library, look up on the net, read about the genocide, the rape the torture, the stolen children, the entire wipeout of tasmania's aborigines within 50 years if that. Maybe then you could have a little more respect as to why it's called invasion day by some.

16. august_moon

august_moon Member

Ps

Im not picking on you sooty darling. I just get frustrated that nobody seems to understand!:confused:

17. clockworkorangeagain

i know most of that history...i dont dwell on what has happened, but i am educated enough to have a conversation about it with people... actually last weekend i was talking to a guy about politics and i brought up the white australia policy of 1973 and assimilation etc...and he did not know what he was talking about...it frusterated me because he took it as a stab because i go to uni...anyone can do the research...