Yay! I'm a vegan!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by TreePhiend, May 8, 2004.

1. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

I have been a lacto-ovo vegitarian for 9 months or so. But now, its been about a week and I have not had problems keeping up my vegan diet, so I think it is now safe to say that I will never use animal products again!

Feel free to support my change in diet by giving me rating points ;) muwahaha

2. Enron

Enron Member

Awesome, im jealous. After 9 months, thats pretty crazy, 5 years sounds like more reasonable time to ease into that sortof diet.

3. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

Well, its not so hard to do, I even felt like I could have switched to vegan earlier if I had the right motivation. It is true, when I first went vegitarian I relied a lot on eggs and dairy, but after the first few months I slowly lowered my consumption. It was the pictures of puss cells in milk that pushed me over the edge, I've always though eggs were gross, especially the way they are produced, terriably cruel too. So, slowly I just started reducing the ammount of eggs and dairy I consumed and associated those products with bad things, like battery cages and puss ect. That was sorta how I became vegitarian in the first place, I started to eat less meat for environmental reasons, when I just became so disgusted with it I just easily stopped and never looked back. I hope my veganism will go the same way!

besides getting B12 is there anything I should know about for making a healthy switch from a vegitarian diet to a vegan diet?

4. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I feel so good for ya! Sometimes I wish I could make the switch to vegan that easily... I've been lacto-ovo vegetarian for... errrr, let's see now... whoa 4 months!! ;-)

Hmmmmmm, about your vitamins and things, are you sure you're getting enough Vitamin D? The reason I'm asking is it came to my mind, we studied it in Biology, and the sources we studied were: Dairy products, egg-yolk, liver and fish-liver oil (yeuuucccchhhhhhhhhh... how can people TAKE that... OK, maybe it may have Vitamin D, but just think, fish liver... all the toxins and heavy metals and crap it has... yuck).

Congratulations once again!!!! yayyyyyy!!! ;-).

I really wish I had your determination... I mean... I've managed to really really really cut down on dairy and eggs, but, I mean, the things I sometimes can't do without, are the PRODUCTS... I mean... like, I sometimes have mayonnaise in my sandwich, or cheese (non-rennet), or something like milk chocolate cookies... that's what makes it so difficult.

Wow, you have AWESOME will-power... keep it up!!!! ;-)

Peace,

Sonja

5. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Woohooooooooo!!!! I hope you never go look back to your dairy consuming ways. I thank you for being good to animals and I give you serious props for it! You got my rep vote! It's really not as hard as people think it is. Once you make the initial change and get over your cravings it's sooooo easy! I once loved dairy products but now they repulse me. I'm never goin' back!

6. Maria420

Maria420 Member

Check out a movie called Baraka... it's a documentary aslo there is a movie that Peta puts out that a man by the name Gary Yrofsky (not sure of exactly of spelling of last name) the movie is excellent and I have converted 8 people to veganism. I did it instantly. Use to looooooove meat and cheese and the next day I was a vegan. Also a doctor by the name of Ornish runs a clinic and practices veganism. Veganism is the most healthy diet... honestly I can go on and on about the benefits of it but if you can get ur hands on that Peta movie, I know u can order it for like $10 or somehow email gary he might send you a free one, or go to blockbuster and watch baraka... baraka is not just on animal rights, it actually only shows a small part of it. But as far as getting nutrients just use soy and tofu, you'll be healthier then anybody else eating meat, don't believe them, they always try to say that u're not getting enough vitamins and minerals but they're full of shit they only know what they've been told and thats just capitalistc brainwashing. the average american gets over two and half times about of protein they need which then cuases kidney damage and umm whats the leading cause of death in america? CVD....Cardio vascular disorder (heart attacks and such) which comes from the eating animlas which clog arteries. That girl that says she can't go vegan bc she likes chocolate and stuff like that, well i make vegan chocolate chip cookies all the time. The more people demand vegan things the more stores will put it out... last point i want to make, trying requesting stuff at ur grocery store and not specialty stores bc if u really believe in vegainsm as saving animals and the environment and getting rid of capitalism then we need to reach as many people we can and mainstream grocery stores are good. so keep buggin them to serve u ur vegan food
    peace

7. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

i'll be sure to check that film out, sounds cool!

Thanks to eveyone who has been nice enough to celebrate my veganism with me! YAY!

8. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats so kynd glad it has worked for you.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Yay congrats to you.

I've been veggie nearly a year, would love to be vegan but just can't quite make the switch.

TTFN

Sage

10. Little Vegan Dan

Little Vegan Dan Member

YAY for you! Another Vegan!
    awesome man.

~Dan

11. Xenon

Xenon Member

Vegan/Herbivore for 35 years now. Look 20 years younger, at least some say.

(No, I'm not 110 and look 90) 55 years young

My wife of 35 years is also Vegan/herbivore

One of the first things we did when we met was to give up meat.

We were eating Roast Beef in a house of Hindus, and they all stood around us and mooed like a cow.

Changed the next day to fish, then a month later gave up the milk.

Never looked back

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

welcome, Xenon.

13. wrat

wrat Member

now that is quite odd.......

14. Xenon

Xenon Member

Thanks drumminmama, Looks like a nice site.

15. Xenon

Xenon Member

The Hindues were all veggies, and we were still Cro-Mags. I guess we were ready at that moment in time.