Ya Think?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Deleted member 159087, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Shoddies stare and stare at barefooters. Maybe because they're jealous? Everybody knows how going barefoot feels; it's just the few who actually do it as a practice. It occurred to me that one reason people stare so much is that they're (only possibly) thinking...Wish I could do that.

2. Matje

Matje Member

One of my earlier posts:

"When you are barefoot in public and someone gives you a dirty look, 80% chance he/she has footshyness and will never be barefoot outside the bedroom or bathroom.

Keep this in mind and you will enjoy being barefoot even more!"

But here in the Netherlands most people do not stare at my bare feet.

3. hillman30

hillman30 Member

On the whole looks don't bother me. Maybe I'm inured from weeks of perm barefooting or just don't care what people think in general. I do agree that some are probably footshy and are wishing they could do it. Even if I get thrown out of a place (only happened twice last summer) I am not feeling ashamed or bad. And if it makes them feel powerful, well it's probably the entire extent of their authority so let them have it.....who really cares?

4. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

In my case, they're probably staring because I'm missing two toes on my right foot. It sorta attracts the attention towards my injury, and not my barefootedness though. So it has some perks to it.

5. uniped

uniped Member

Being one-legged and on crutches I usually draw looks anyway so my bare foot probably is not the main reason for the attention.

6. danceswithrabbits

danceswithrabbits Member

I think, if they are not jealous directly of the barefootedness, they are jealous of the display of freedom from care of what anyone thinks.

7. danceswithrabbits

danceswithrabbits Member

I came to that conclusion too. Or else they have a foot fetish that they feel ashamed of. Like how homophobics often have gay leanings.

8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Well Said...:2thumbsup:

Cheers Glen.

9. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

I didn't know people who had foot fetishes would feel ashamed. I thought they'd be ones who'd go barefoot more often. or is my logic false?

10. danceswithrabbits

danceswithrabbits Member

Some people feel ashamed of being gay still.

11. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

Oh yeah, I didn't think about it that way. You may be right.

12. crispy91

crispy91 Member

I like the looks. It's like no one's ever seen a bare foot before. It's funny. I try to make a game out of it. Who can give me the wierdest look? So far, it's always old people

13. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

Y'know, I'd have to give that to stuck-up barbie doll-type girls, or stereotypically ghetto girls who sometimes give that look where they raise one side of their upper lip, raise one eyebrow, and pull their heads backward. The closest image I could find was this of Nicki Minaj.

[​IMG]

As for old people, an old lady who lives on my street saw me barefoot during my early morning walk, while she was walking her dog. She stopped to say "Good for you!" smiled and left.

14. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I like the idea that they are thinking "wish I could do that". It's an obvious idea but not one that's occurred to me as such. I shall hold that thought and next time anyone stares at me (which I agree people do sometimes) I shall assume that's what they are thinking. Thanks for the confidence booster!:)

15. danceswithrabbits

danceswithrabbits Member

hahahahahaha! I know exactly what you mean.

And yes, I also have had BETTER responses from older people. I think probably partly because in the past, it WAS more normal to go barefoot, at least when it was warm, for children.

16. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

I also get over-exaggerated responses from friends who didn't know I preferred going barefoot, (since it was a recent decision of mine to ditch footwear whenever possible). along the lines of "Dude! Omg, why are you barefoot!?" and make a huge scene of it. It made me chuckle a bit, and they got used to it.

17. clayts

clayts Member

I agree with other people here who say the older generation are more accepting of my barefooting. I've gotten quite used to the 'double take' look some folks do, plus the nudging-> pointing-> giggling that only children can get away with. Unfortunately this same behaviour is also prevalent in older people who should know better. However, my attitude is if I make them laugh, then I've brought a little bit of sunshine into their life. Whereas last year I'd have panicked about it (my first year of barefooting) now I don't really give a stuff what others think.

Bizarrely the most obscure looks I get are from people in mobility scooters - some prized expressions and double takes, but sadly no rubbernecking collisions yet.... I suppose it must be because they're nearer to the ground.

On the whole, the positive comments (and the people who take the time out to actually talk to me rather than just pigeonhole me as 'bonkers-mad-crazy-dude') outweigh any negatives.

18. free30

free30 Member

They might be jealous because their feet are too hot in their shoes!! Whenever im wearing shoes my feet are always too hot, even in winter, and it drives me mad! I dont go barefoot enough though - wish i had more confidence to do it...

19. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

I only get positive or neutral comments here in the UK.
    The last one was only yesterday, a teen asked me why i wasn't wearing shoes, and i said i didn't like to.
    His reply was "why not?, and i said "too boring", he then said "fair enough"

20. I was hiking BF through my neighborhood (which, by definition, has NEIGHBORS in it), when one of them, in an SUV, thought it pertinent to stop, roll down his window, and ask "Where are your shoes?" Then, realizing the rudeness of his behavior, added, smiling, "What would your mother say?"

I replied, "Wait! I AM my mother! It's OK!" He laughed and drove on.

BAREFOOTERS: WE NEED OUR OWN PLANET!!!!!!!!!