Xmas shopping barefooted

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Au Naturel, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Member

So far, I've done all of my Xmas shopping barefooted. I've been to 2 different malls including all major department stores, Circuit City, Best Buy, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target, and Lowes Hardware. As a matter of fact, I've not worn shoes into any retail establishment since August. I've not experienced one problem. I've been to 2 different Walmarts over 2 dozen times and even chatted with the store manager at one of them.

I think the reason I've not been confronted may be the fact that I'm a 40 year old male with an athletic build and a military haircut. This either initimidates most people or they are so caught off guard that they don't know how to handle it.

How is your holiday shopping going?

2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Nice to hear about your barefoot shopping, I'm curious, do you live in a warm climate?

I too have an athletic build, someone recently told me that I have a beach boy look. I wonder if this helps with the barefooting. Who knows?

3. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

While overall appearance can make a difference, I think that the way you carry yourself is a significant factor as well. If you walk confidently into the store, greet the manager by name and go about your business, you're far less likely to be confronted by an employee than if you furtively slouch into the store hoping "not to get caught".

Know for a fact that you're in the right and your barefoot adventures will be all the better.

4. bige1030

bige1030 Member

I'm curious too...where do you live? I'd imagine that barefoot tolerance also has a lot to do with where you shop as well.

5. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Member

I live in north central North Carolina. It was 35F and rain yesterday, but that didn't stop me from bf'ing Walmart, Kohls, and our favorite restaurant. I had a return at Walmart. The lady behind the counter asked where my shoes were. I said "I don't wear shoes." And she said "don't you know it's cold and wet outside". Well, duh!. We're going out again today. It's not as cold, but overcast, so the pavement will be chilly.

6. bfrank

bfrank Member

Absolutely right. My experience has proven that as well. Well, except for the part about greeting the manager by name. That's usually not possible or practical in most stores in the U.S. But holding your head high and having a demeanor of confidence is a big factor in barefoot acceptance.

I agree with that as well. Some parts of the country are not as friendly and respectful to their fellow human beings.

I've traveled around and lived in various parts of the U.S., and I've found that North Carolina in general is indeed a friendly place for a barefooter. So regardless of your appearance, it's possible you may have a different experience in some other area, like, perhaps New England.

7. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Member

So,, It must be true about what they say about Yankees.?

8. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

We're definitely a mixed lot up here. And it's a big region, with many pockets where things may go well. Other pockets, not so much. But as I have to bring up time and time again, there are control freaks here as everywhere. There are enough of them to ruin things.

And some of Yankee land is very cold. And snowy. Here, lately, for sure.

9. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

The temperature's about 35 here, too. I can just about stand that as long as i keep moving. The secret is to keep the head warm. My body hates being cold at both ends!

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Hi CoolSpruce And bfjohn,

Always Sympathetic To My Fellow Barefooters Plight In Winter.........Just Called To Say Most Days Here Are Around 80 to 85 F.........Sincerely Sorry If This Post Has Inadvertantly Caused Either Of You Any Distress......Or Permenant Mental Scarring........It Was Certainly Not My Intention To Do So.........(well maybe just a bit)..

Yours .....Looking Foward To The Next 4 Months Of Summer.....

Glen.

11. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

It's OK. I actually love northern winters but they do run just a little too long. Early to start, early to finish, I always say.

If I'm not mistaken, Australia is one of those countries that is benevolent to barefooting, yes? I know it always has been with shorts. Thankfully, that trend has finally worked it's way to the US---not quite as well as there, I'm sure, but I've seen HUGE changes in the right direction here, even in the frost belt. I like to think I helped, being the stubborn shorts man that I've always been. But we owe your country a lot for this.

12. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

UK winters aren't all that cold temp. wise (Jan temps often exceed 50 F), but they are very damp and clammy with it. The temp. outside is nearly that now, the cold snap ending with a change of wind direction, northerly winds=cold, southerly winds=warm. If it keeps up, i might get a BF hike in...