WTF: $38,000 for a Purse?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by QueerPoet, Aug 9, 2013.

1. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Oprah Winfrey is all pissed off because a sales clerk (not in America) told her she could not possibly afford a handbag that cost $38,000.

I suppose she is playing the race card. Which probably has more than a little truth to it. But what sort of sane person (black or white) would even consider spending so much money on something so trivial?

I think this just goes to show just how divided this country has become. The very rich (like Oprah) think they are entitled to spend (waste) vast sums of money on something as meaningless as a handbag.

While other folks are just trying to figure out how to put bread and butter on the table.

I actually used to respect Oprah (before her show went national). I remember when she was a local talk show host (Chicago), and her guests were everyday people: Folks losing their homes due to unemployment, people dealing with discrimination because of gender, race, AIDS, etc.

Then her show went national, and we all got to see celebrities like Tom Cruise jumping around on her couch. That's when I stopped watching. And now $38,000 for a purse? What sort of insanity is this? I could easily survive on that amount of money for 3-4 years. What's up with Oprah (and our materialistic society)? :confused:

QP

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

When you have money like Oprah, 38000 is like 38 cents. If she wants it I say all the power to her, I don't begrudge her success.

3. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

How is being able to buy $38,000 purses success ?

4. foresting

foresting Member

the fact that anyone would even CONSIDER spending that amount of money on something as petty as a handbag disgusts me.....

5. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

some people don't even have to think about spending mega money....:-/

6. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I hate having to spend more then 7 dollars for a t shirt and even then I prefer to keep it under 5, lol thrift shop yo, although my grandma buys me clothes to for free on sales so i do have some nice name brand clothes. The fact is when somethings on sale they are still making money off of it, a lot I mean it don't matter to me the shirt at walmart is still made in china like the one at abercrombie for the same price lol

7. AceK

man I'm more likely to buy a candy bar from the guy sellin on da train, than a big corporation...they don't need my money

8. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

But most of us don't. Yet she started out just as humble as most of us (and often stressed that point). So all it took was money for her to change her mind (and politics) in such a radical way? Where's her original humility? I mean, $38,000 for a purse? That is insane (IMO).

QP

9. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Oprah is insane

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

A success at making money I guess. Isn't money the topic? Not sure how she's doing in other aspects of her life.

11. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well it's insane to us where that kind of money is a year's salary for a lot of people. But it's nothing to her, why shouldn't she spend it?

Not sure what you mean by humility. If your issue is that she brought it up at all I agree with you, seems kind of tasteless.

12. AceK

I've seen apartments in manhattan advertised at 120 million, a month! For real...dats fuckin crazy

13. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Exactly! :2thumbsup:

QP

14. AceK

yep...like most million, or billionaires

15. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Dont hate

16. AceK

i don't hate anyone, if i had that kinda money i'd be spendin' it too

17. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I think her recent actions are totally insane. But I still think she's an intelligent person. I guess it all comes down to how power really can tempt and corrupt an individual. Which disappoints and saddens me.

QP

18. AceK

look at bill gates, and the software microsoft writes...why does it get so many viruses?

19. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Same. Probably not on a purse because the kind I like cost $30 or so, lol. But I'd definitely buy something frivolous, like a hot tub. Or like 38 hot tubs. ;)

20. AceK

man I'd totally buy a penthouse in midtown manhattan with like 5 rooms to trash