Wow! Trees have leaves and mountains aren't fuzzy!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by antithesis, Jan 27, 2005.

1. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I just got glasses and it's amazing how beautiful everything looks.

2. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I have never understood how people that need glasses could live without em. even when I had no insurance, I got em asap after I broke em.
    I know many Navy folk..ALL FEMALE... that refuse to wear glasses that are free. they wont admit it, but I know its because they got that Jan Brady "I am gona look stupid " thing in thier head. I will never understand. I like seeing.

3. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I just didn't realize that I couldn't see. It was so gradual that I just thought that that was how things looked. As soon as I realized that I needed glasses, I went out and got some. I actually love the way that they look.

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I wasnt judging you, I was just venting over these people I work with. they get free eye exams and new glasses every year, and they still refuse to wear them.....

5. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Makes a big dif huh? I needed glasses since I was a kid but I never got a pair until I was in college.

Just like you said, I thought things just looked that way. Also thought I was stupid or had ADD or something; people would constantly notice things I didn't.

6. 4_Leaf_Clover

4_Leaf_Clover I Love

Same here.
    I sometimes wonder how the 20-odd years of blurred vision has affected the way in which I perceive the world. When I put on glasses for the first time, I was like, "OH! Everything has THREE dimensions!!!" I was floored :p Yes indeed sight can be beautiful.
    What do you suppose happened to people with bad vision before the advent of corrective lenses? Wouldn't they have died off, and through an evolutionary process, left only the good see-ers?
    :p

7. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I have a small correction in my glasses, but I rarely wear them. I think it's too busy a world out there if I see all the leaves in detail, it is distracting. I've tried wearing them for a longer time to get used to it and it doesn't work, I still think it's too much input! I used them when driving (when I had a car, don't have one now) and I use them in a museum or such, where I do want to see and enjoy the details... but in everyday life, all day long? No thanks... Btw, I can still see leaves and stuff, just not as sharp... it's only a 1 pt in one eye and 1/2 point in the other.

8. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

What's even cooler is wearing glasses for a long time (since I was 11) and having laser correction done. Waking up in the morning and not having to fumble for glasses to see is such a neat feeling.

........so you've got that to look forward to..........glad you can see better now

9. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

man, if i had the money i would defiantly do that. maybe some day....

10. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Probably not. Since humans were tribal for most of their history a near sighted caveman could probably get away with bad vision if he had a place in the tribe that didn't depend too much on sight.

He probably didn't get laid as often though.

I know what you mean when you say you wonder how less than perfect vision helped shaped your perception of the world. I know if I go a day without wearing my glasses the world feels a little more dangerous.

11. antithesis

antithesis Hello

It is definitely making taking notes in class a lot easier. I realized I might just have bad vision when I spent all my time squinting at the blackboard and leaning as far forward as I could to be able to read and no one else seemed to be doing that.

Being able to see trees and mountains and rivers clearly is of primary importance to me though since there is nothing I like so much as nature. And being able to actually see it makes it so much better! :p

12. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, LET'S SEE THEM!!

13. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I don't have my webcam/camera anymore, so I can't take a picture. They look nerdy though. There are thick square brown frames.