Wow is this concerning to you all?

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by monkjr, Oct 7, 2013.

1. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/forced-sexual-contact-common-among-teens-study-suggests-8C11350021

I'm gonna go see if I can find the actual scientific study that this lay-source article is talking about in the American Medical Association journal JAMA Pediatrics.

But part of me wonders how that study was done, because I remember that when studies were done in my school, lots of my peer-group marked really politically incorrect answers just because we thought it funny they'd be taken seriously.

But based on actual talks from friends of both genders, I just might believe this study is true, given all the drama I keep hearing about so and so guilt-tripped me into this or that.

I don't know what do you all think? Is this study accurate or do you feel its not? Are you at all concerned about what this says about those just entering their teens through those of young adults 18-25?

2. heyrocky

heyrocky Guest

This is frightening, even more since I have 3 teens right now.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

deep down inside .. humans are just a bunch of horny angry apes.

this message was not intended to offend the ape colonies of the world.

4. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Not true, since humans can't breed with apes and produce offspring who can have children, we are separate species.

It is more correct to say that humans put away civil concepts of society, when it comes to preservation of the self.

In other words: morals are a luxury, which explains why behavior traits of the sociopath have survived and surface in individuals who become our murderers and rapists, and corrupt high-rollers of society (businessmen and politicians).

5. broony

broony Banned

Since english, math, and science are forced into children at such a young age...

Why not force Kung Fu, and other mixed martial arts?

I would have rather learned basic self-defense than math ive never used.

6. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

What concerns me more is the fact that they did NOT use the specific words like "rape" when conducting these surveys. Many couples, young and old alike, sometimes just might attempt some sort of physical/sexual contact with their partners when the other party doesn't feel up to it. It's natural, and they may argue for a bit, then make up afterward. The event may be repeated a number of times over the span of their relationship without the behaviour's turning into something harmful to their relationship. We can't rule out the possibility that such was the case for a lot of the youths(or at least a portion, I don't know how big or small) who took this type of survey. And yet, now the researchers are willing to put even those harmless, and very common, instances of mood differences between two people in a relationship under the same category as "rape".

Of course, in situations where violence and/or threat was clearly used to achieve sexual act(s), the perpetrator must be met with appropriate consequences(therapy, jail time, whatnot). But the way those questions were put together for the survey, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily seem like they'd effectively and accurately determine the percentage of the actual harmful sexual contact either attempted or completed by youths. I mean, what kind of amazingly conclusive answer are they expecting to get by asking such an ambiguous question like, “In the last 12 months, how often have you kissed, touched, or done anything sexual with another person when that person did not want you to?” That certainly doesn't sound like a very detailed question to me. :confused:

In my opinion, they shouldn't be asking them these questions in such a vague way if they really want to find accurate data, and especially if they have also offered the youths to take the survey anonymously. They could make each question into a multiple choice format with a certain element of interactive questionnaire concept that might determine the severity of each participant's behaviour. I could see the latter method becoming a little more effective in collecting the data they want. Well, IF they want it, that is. I'd even go out on a limb and say this is another propaganda to steer the American youths away from love and physical intimacy(perhaps as a part of the abstinence-only stance still widely supported in USA?).

But I'm not American, so what can I say...... I AM interested in taking a look at the actual survey, though.

7. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

How many girls have ended up sleeping with their boyfriend because of him saying "If you love me you would" or some such thing? Or how many guys have had sex with a girl because she said "You don't think I am attractive" or whatever. Guilt has definitely played a huge role in people engaging in sex, not just in my own personal experience, but hearing stories from friends and such.

As for rape, unfortunately many people blur the line of what rape means. I have had men tell me "If it was not violent and forced, it was consensual" which is not always the case. I know many married women who have felt raped by their spouse. The spouse wanted sex, the wife didn't, the spouse forced the issue to the point of engaging in sex...and because she didn't want to start a fight she just let him finish just to be done with it. I have also heard a few married men state it can't be rape because they're married to the women. Sad, but true.

So, I don't think that study is too far off....but don't have the statistics to back it up. Again, some people will redefine a word, or context to absolve themselves from guilt...so it is hard to really get an accurate study. I think a lot of younger adults get into situations they aren't really prepared for, and sometimes engage in sex because they see no other option. I have teenage children and have heard multiple details about situations like that from people they know. Its tragic to think that a 'kid' doesn't realize saying NO is an option, or that they fear the consequences of saying NO. Again, I base this on what I've heard from my own friends, and teenagers I have dealt with over the years.