Wounded Vets Must Return Signup Bonuses!

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by skip, Nov 20, 2007.

1. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

How is Halliburton's involvement NOT in the best interest of Cheney? Cheney is providing contracts for his former company- how is that NOT a conflict of interest? Come on, it's unethical for spouses to work under each other, lawyers legally can't represent two people involved in the same case, so how is can Cheney justify giving contracts to the company he once controlled?

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0403-10.htm
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/26/politics/main575356.shtml

Peace and love

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Well stated Hippie Chick. Pepik means he has no legally prohibited stake in Iraq. And I am sure legally he has his ass covered.

3. gardener

Perhaps Pepik would like to outline to us here how the Bush and Cheney administration is supporting our troops.

4. Pepik

Pepik Banned

Cheney has no interest in the financial performance of Halliburton, so he cannot benefit from whatever contracts they are awarded. You cannot have a conflict of interest where you have no interest.

Read through the CBS article. It has a juicy, scandalous headline, but they proceeds to undermine every single claim about Cheney benefitting from Halliburton. Its all there, in your article.

5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

LOL! You REALLY believe that don't you? Despite the fact that Cheney's been paid $1,000,000 a year by Halliburton.

And you completely ignore the fact that POLITICIANS get paid AFTER they leave office. Are you an IDIOT, Pepik to not understand this basic fact of American life?

6. Pepik

Pepik Banned

Read that article, is that so much to ask?

He gave the options away. He insured the deferred comp. If Halliburton goes bankrupt tomorrow, Cheney does not lose one single cent. If Halliburton profit goes up 10,000%, Cheney would not get a single additional cent.

My point stands.

7. treehuggerT

treehuggerT Member

Back to the original topic-having to return the signing bonus-I wonder if it would help to stand outside the recruiting center holding a sign to that effect? If you could save one life, it would be worth it.

8. hannahannahannah

hannahannahannah What's a Palindrome?

At least that would be taking some sort of action on the issue, but I wonder how long it would take them to harass us out of our position, or have us tazed by the local 'peace officers'.

I just find this all very disgusting. That the soldiers/vets are so expendable. My S.O. is a vet, and he has a job that doesn't have (or he never signed up for) the health insurance. He's got his vet crap to fall back on. That makes me more than a little worried.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

The only people who have to pay back their bonuses are the ones who had pre-existing conditions.As far as the wounded Vets go they don't have to pay back shit,some got the letters by mistake. But if you know a wounded vet who got a letter have them call "Wounded Soldier and Family Hotline at 800-984-8523" A little research goes along way

10. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

how do they determin PREEXISTING? why was that not determined before they were sent?

11. gardener

I've never met a recruiter that was all that interested in a recruits health situation. They leave that up to the physical examiners that basically check to see if you can stand up and are warm to the touch.

Some will be cut while in basic or bootcamp. But some are not aware they have a pre-existing condition, it's a means for the Defense Department to cut overhead. Shit they wouldn't want to cut Blackwater renumeration, but if they can cut national guard and active duty veterans benefits, they will. They've consulted and if they can make the process difficult enough they can save...and who really cares? It's the same game SSI plays.

12. gardener

And what percentage of those that received the letters by mistake are in any shape to jump through all the bells and whistles to receive what is their due?

Your generation now has it's own share of veterans living under bridges. Republican's should be so proud? And Democrats should be ashamed that they allowed it to happen.

13. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

My fiance did not have a pre-existing condition- he had no symptoms of bipolar disorder until he was in Iraq, plus he was misdiagnosised as having a personality disorder. He was not able to see a medical board, which he was entitled to if the correct diagnosis was made.

BTW, calling that number isn't going to help him- the VA hospital and his representative will.

Peace and love

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

the Personality disorder discharge is used as an easy out ie They get rid of you with minimal fuss and paper work and you get an Honorable discharge sounds like a good deal But you have to read the fine print "Personality disorder's" are considered pre-existing . There's a good chance that He can have the discharge upgraded. By the way Just in case you want to know the reg's that they were supposed to follow google" AR 635-200: Guide For Administrative Separations" read para 5-13 As far as the VA hospital doing anything I wouldnt hold my Breath I've been pissing up that tree for the past 15 years

15. Xac

Xac Visitor

"As more and more wartime contracts are announced, more and more conflicts of interest are coming to light. After all, the Bush administration is riddled with ties to the weapons, engineering, construction, and oil companies that have the most to profit from a war in Iraq"

I read the article and i agree with your feelings that the current memebers of the American government are indeed receiving private payoffs in regards to the war in Iraq. Having said this i don't understand your particular feelings that blackwater are innocent as black water is directly tied to the war in Iraq and the Bush adminstration, but atleast we can agree that the contents of said articles are very damning towards the American governments involvment in Iraq.

16. gardener

Blackwater is innocent of what? The Bush administration and it's friends are laughing all the way to the bank.

17. gardener

Blackwater is nothing more than hired mercenaries, that are growing rich on the deaths of innocents, and the taxpayers of the west.