Would You Follow Jesus?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by thefutureawaits, Sep 11, 2016.

1. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Speaking of music:

I'll just quote Woody Guthrie, "If Jesus preached today like he did in Galilee, we would lay Jesus Christ in the grave"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0f78MDOUJw

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

If Eckhart and other Christian mystics weren't simply deluded, some spark of something must have survived despite the editing and changes made by early church councils.

However, I wouldn't dispute that it was deeply concealed. I wonder though where that leaves Christians now. Would they be better off simply to reject Christianity as hopelessly corrupt and embrace some other religion, even though most religions also have their downside, or seek to recover what was lost or edited out by the Romans? Or is religion irrelevant and we need to find a wholly new approach?

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I mean follow the core teachings of Jesus as contained in the Gospels: the agape principle, consisting of unconditional, non-judgmental love for all humans including society's rejects. I don't necessarily ascribe to all of the particulars identified by African-American New Thought guru Michael Beckwith who has pushed the agape idea (The raw vegetable diet and New Age--Prosperity gospel "Mind Over Matter" pitch are not my thing).

4. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

no

no means no

not then, not now not in the future

but i might follow a woman who followed jesus

5. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

It depends. I would need to test him first. Ask him to turn water into wine, quiz him on some of his supposed "miracles". See if he was the real Jesus, you know?

How else would I figure out he wasn't actually a parasitic, butt-probing, shape-shifting alien trying to eat my brain simply posing as Jesus?

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rMWpC9V-MY

1 person likes this.
  7. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Since we're in November and all.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Truth is not an idea or ideation. When it becomes an idea, it ceases to be truth. The parables and sayings by Christ recorded by his disciples were meant to enable the aspirant to attain a state of consciousness. Eckhart Tolle in his book 'The Power of Now' shows the inner meaning of many of these teachings from his vantage point of enlightenment.

The unenlightened, however, interpreted it from their conditioned viewpoints, and distorted the message to the point that it became unintelligible and inciting fear and superstition instead, a reflection of a lower state of consciousness.

Christ, like Buddha , is a developed state of consciousness, and the teachings pointed out how to attain this within oneself.

Even if the law of gravity was not theoretically proven and stated, it would have existed on its own accord. And similarly with Christ-consciousness or Buddha-consciousness. Even if no Christ or Buddha existed, this state would have existed on its own accord, manifesting in human beings who have flowered or blossomed fully in their consciousness through spiritual exercises.

Meister Eckhart and Bernadette Roberts are two such enlightened beings.