Would this work as a crude extraction?

Discussion in 'DMT' started by ghost of rat, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

Grind up lots of Acacia bark into fine powder.
    Place in a jar and cover with everclear- 90% alcahol.
    Let it sit for 3 weeks stiring ocasionaly.
    Filter out liquid, pour onto a dish to begin evaporation.
    Place dried sage leaves on the dish so they soak up the liquid.
    Let it evaporate comletely.
    Smoke the sage leaves.

I don't see why this wouldnt work?

2. peacegrow

peacegrow Member

Just to play devils advocate...
    what makes you think it will work?

Generally to extract DMT you need something acidic to get it out of the solid plant material I think. I'm not sure if alcohol will extract it. But, I'm no chemist.

3. ghost of rat

From what I have read, DMT is soluble in alcahol. So in theory, the method I described should work. I have read one or two reports of people using this method but for some odd reason it is not very popular. Why? I dont know. It is by far easier than the acid/base extraction.

4. 36fuckin5

36fuckin5 Alchemycologist

That may work, but it's going to be horribly inefficient. First off, you're gonna pull out a shit-ton of fats and oils with the DMT. It's also not going to be in a freebase form, so as soon as a lighter touches it, it's gonna be worthless. Alcohol also isn't very good at dissolving the DMT.

There's a reason that people go through all these complicated steps.

Putting it in the acidic aqueous solution converts it to DMT HCl so that it'll dissolve in water. The first naptha wash removes a lot of the non-polar-soluble fats & oils.

Putting it in the basic aqueous solution turns it to DMT freebase, which will be soluble in naptha. More fats & oils will be left in the water.

The naptha washes just strip the last little bit of fats from the final product.

5. ghost of rat

"It's also not going to be in a freebase form, so as soon as a lighter touches it, it's gonna be worthless."

^Ah yes, I forgot about this. thanks