Would like to get the facts strait have various questions about organic vs non

Discussion in 'Organic Cannabis Growing' started by *randy*, Aug 20, 2011.

1. *randy*

*randy* Member

First off I likely have some organic bias I use roots organics nutes/dirt.

From the people who have way more experience on such things my understanding is that organic is absorbed easier then synthetic nutes. This would seem to make sense as let’s say for the 0-0-0 count for synthetic are usually quite higher whether it be flowering or veg nutes in the brand that I use and several brands I looked at. I guess the argument would be absorbs better but contains less overall nute x vs. has larger safe nute x if flushed correctly but could have lower absorption rate?

I decide organic wins for me I would eat all organic food if it were easier in America.I’m doing an 20 auto flower grow organic my second real grow so it’s what would seem best to me.….

This is based off two different experienced growers I have descused nutes with; one the owner of a hydro store for 15years. so I hope these theories are true.
    Any thoughts? Feel free to say you are all completely long because x and tell me what said above is rong and why if it is. I am only looking to learn from this. A large variety of you are many a grow more experienced then me so I would love your insight into this.

2. Chronologic

Chronologic Member

Basically it doesn't have much to do with absorption, but with how the synthetic nutes leave unpleasant / harsh tastes even if flushed right.

Synthetic nutes are probably actually absorbed quicker, but PH is the main variable when it comes to absorption.

Besides that, only problem with organic growing is making sure the food you gave em is all used up by the time you start starving em at the end, because flushing doesn't work as well considering most organic nutes release their nutrients over time.

- oh and a tip, isn't exactly organic but it has always made my babies beautiful even in small amounts, get Liquid Karma.

3. *randy*

*randy* Member

Thank you for the reply, Yeah I'm still scratching my head...I just wish there was a such thing as "This product line is optimal or cannabis growth" but I dont think that will happen I've been hearing some good reviews about roots soul synthetic line I've had what I would consider succss with roots organic line but it seems like their soul synthetic might be better.

sorry bumping old thread I dont get to post often; I have to use my friends computer along with working and school so I may be long to respond sometimes.

4. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

This is sort of old but I'll chime in with my perspective as I see a few things that aren't correct.
    No, it's the opposite. One reason people like artificial nutes is they are like cheating. They are made bio-available in manufacturing and so uptake is almost immediate.
    You either understand organics and subscribe to that approach, or not. The fertilizer biz is a filthy industry, it has it's place but IMO not in MJ or most foods.
    True, as with all plants.
    I disagree with this and consider flushing an urban legend of sorts, coming from the hydro crowd. Let me explain why and elaborate on the organic vs chem approach.

If you have relatively ok but not rich soil, or in hydro, there is no natural web of life to sustain a plant. Hydro seeks to provide the basic needs of a plant while submerged in water which is an unnatural environment for most plants including MJ. So you need synthetic nutrients. They can be nasty and people began running clean water the last few days before harvest to remove them but it never really does. The plant has grown up in that stuff.
    In soil, this is silly. No matter what environment a plant grows in, it needs N, P and K along with trace elements and these will be used by the plant no matter what. No nutes, no life, period. But that doesnt mean you're smoking these things, they are taken in by the plant to fuel life processes and create cells and grow. The final form the "food" that plants take in are going to be present regardless. Though that doesn't mean you want them dosed heavy with nutes just before harvest. But "flushing" isn't going to make your MJ any more pure than it was.

But when one subscribes to the idea of growing organic, there is a different philosophy. One starts with a rich, clean, organic soil which is naturally brimming with microscopic life. The main things we care about here are forms of fungus collectively called mychorrhiza. Through evolution plants have become dependent on a symbiotic relationship with these fungi to harvest and make available the various nutrients that they need that come from various organic sources such as previously living plants and animals, and elements already present in our soil.
    These nutrients are naturally less bio-available to plants, which is why they are absorbed slower when this symbiotic relationship with the micro life of soil isn't as strong. By using quality organic soil this symbiosis is established almost immediately after a plant roots. Ironically, chemical ferts destroy this relationship, making your crop more and more dependent on them. Just like a junkie. One thing to encourage this type of organic relationship is to add a bit of blackstrap molassas or agricultural molassas to your soil occasionally. In addition to what the plant provides to the fungi, molassas feeds the fungi and will really make a marked improvement to the quality of the microlife in the soil, thus maximizing the work these critters do to make nutrients available to plants.
    I believe the big hype about hydro and chem fertilizers is people trying to grow as much as possible, as fast as possible. It's greed and profit motivated, not interest in growing for fun and to provide something they can be proud of.
    When you grow organic, you grow they way nature has evolved to work, you produce a healthier plant, and "flushing" is no longer a factor. In fact, you won't have to add nearly as much to feed your plants and in the last several weeks you won't have to add any, as the minerals in the soil, being made biologically available to your plants through the soil web of life will sustain flowering just fine until you decide to harvest.

Theres lots to read on the subject if you believe in the philosophy of growing naturally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_fertilizer
    read the part about negative effects.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE boycott Miracle Grow.

5. *randy*

*randy* Member

I appreciate the responses and thank you for correcting me where I was wrong, I found those links very interesting and do indeed believe in the idea of growing naturally.

6. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Hey man, I'm glad if you found it useful. There really is alot to learn about growing (anything) and I hope I didn't come across as knowing everything. I have done a fair bit of learning though. I've grown for a few years and there's always alot more to learn.
    The nice thing about this stuff is it applies to other stuff like veggies. Nothing like fresh grown tomatoes and corn. :)